FYRLYT - The new standard in driving lights?

Re: FYRLYT - The new standard in driving lights?

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:45 pm

catchya wrote:Have I missed something

The '6mm' if 6mm2 is, I think, only just adequate for the 12 volt side. Other than that and the things you've listed, the lights are identical.

Fyrlyt use a separate step up converter for each light. I understand that it is very important that the output voltage is spot-on 24v.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:33 pm

Seriously? How much does the step up thingy cost then? Seems too easy given the price difference between models.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:32 pm

Well, I figured they were worth about $200 each, based on the difference in price for the kits.

However a quick Google search shows them being sold for $US110 and another mention on AULRO for about the same price.

And then I found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DC-Converter-12V-to-24V-20A-480W-Step-Up-Boost-Power-Supply-Module-Car-/321846640256

There may be a big quality difference, I don't know.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby catchya on Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:27 am

Thanks for your input CD and NFT5.

Apparently the hard-coated aluminium reflector is slightly different to the original 5000, otherwise everything structurally is the same. From what I can source, the kit come with a 15A 360W 12-24V step up converter for each light.

Ref: http://www.4wdaction.com.au/_phpBB/down ... &mode=view

Found this ,,,looks similiar
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Converter ... RaJe0AmQng

But still, change of globe, reflector, 2 x 12-24V step up converters & minor wiring changes, could be a worthy upgrade for those like myself chasing more volume of light.

More research :!:
catchya
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:18 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Well, I figured they were worth about $200 each, based on the difference in price for the kits.

However a quick Google search shows them being sold for $US110 and another mention on AULRO for about the same price.

And then I found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DC-Converter-12V-to-24V-20A-480W-Step-Up-Boost-Power-Supply-Module-Car-/321846640256

There may be a big quality difference, I don't know.

I couldn't find any details on the converters on the Fyrlyt website, but DC-DC converters vary significantly in price and quality. 250W is a fair size for a convection cooled, switchmode converter (I doubt they are using linear conversion), so they will probably have a fairly large heatsink/enclosure. The design and quality of the heatsink is one of the factors that influence the reliability of the converter. The design of the transformer and chokes is another major factor; well designed magnetics, of a reasonable size, using decent ferrites and proper insulation between the windings will last a very long time, and have an efficiency that is probably in the >90% range. Lastly, good design is key, how the converter handles dead shorts, over/under current, over/under voltage, high/low temps, etc, with adequate filtering also required. A good converter should be able to run against a dead short indefinitely, and auto-recover when the fault condition is removed.

Given the $360 difference between the 9000 (native 24VDC) and the 9000, that's allowing $190 for each converter (including retail mark-up). In my experience this means either a higher end Asia-sourced unit, or a lower-end Australian built unit (else they are profiteering on some really cheap Chinese ones).
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:42 am

catchya wrote:Apparently the hard-coated aluminium reflector is slightly different to the original 5000, otherwise everything structurally is the same.

My understanding, from discussions with Fyrlyt, is that there have been two changes in the reflector. The first one was as a result of their contractor not maintaining the quality standard set and the second was a very minor change to correct an error in the shape, whilst spinning, which resulted in a slightly hotter hotspot in the centre of the beam. Probably not even noticed, either of them, by most users but indicative of Fyrlyt's commitment to quality.

The reflector has always had a hard coating, it was one of their original design briefs to give them an advantage over Lightforce. The hard coating allows the reflector to be touched and cleaned, which is not possible with a normal vapour deposited aluminium coating. This was obviously necessary if they were to have the separate lens and reflector which, again, gives them the advantage over Hella and Lightforce. If the light was to leak during a river crossing it can be dismantled and cleaned back to new, which can't be done with the other brands. Same thing applies with outback dust that can find its way past even the best seals.

Those who have followed Fyrlyt's progress may remember that the Nemesis was in development for quite a long time. Again, my understanding is that only a part of that time was the bulb which is a longer life unit developed from another one in Osram's range and the balance was the DC-DC converter. This is why I questioned the quality of the much cheaper Ebay variety which may or may not work longer term. I have the genuine ones and they've been no problem.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:11 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:This is why I questioned the quality of the much cheaper Ebay variety which may or may not work longer term. I have the genuine ones and they've been no problem.

+ 1

I don't think they are going to select a product that will be a different quality to the rest of the setup. Going off the pricing, they have probably sourced some very good units from Asia (Meanwell Electronics springs to mind). eBay would be the last place to look for a decent DC-DC converter.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:13 am

Update on my Fyrlyt's over past 5years...
I've had plenty problems with both sets of Fyrlyt's over the years, I've got one set on the Triton and another set on the Cruiser.

The latest set of problems I've been having are the glass lenses falling out of the the frames and then causing the destruction of the reflectors and lamp holders, then burnt out plugs on rear of the fittings causing intermittent workings. Then the constant water and dust getting past the seal into and onto the reflector and then resulting in compromised reflector from constantly having to clean them.

I've gone through a couple of the plastic lenses due to them cracking after just 18months and now the glass lenses have been a failure.

I'm fairly bummed out about these lights because the actual lighting performance (when they work) are absolutely fantastic!

I also can't complain about Fyrlyt's customer service, as they have always been quick to warrant the faulty parts without question. However I'm just over the hassle of having to fix these lights. For my type of use, they're just not fit for purpose. I'm quite hard on my gear but I also maintain things more frequently than most would. With the Fyrlyt's, I try to keep them clean, service to the seal around the lenses and if I notice condensation inside, then I dry them out.

I've also got an old 20" led light bar that has been on the Triton for nearly 10years, it's still going strong without any maintenance required, it's been around Australia and submerged underwater many times over, it was cheap at under $200, nothing special but it pumps out a great amount of light, usually too much as I have to switch it off when too many road signs around. Go figure.

Anyone else having these dramas with their Fyrlyt's?

At this stage I'll be selling the Fyrlyt's on the Cruiser and trying out something new, probably a set of the Nighthawk variable colour temperature (VCT) led lights. Anyone tried these yet?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:37 am

Fyrlyt had some manufacturing problems with the lenses due to a subcontractor varying the spec.

They have a new lens made from a different material and I understand that they are replacing lenses for anyone who's had a problem. Hit them up.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby srb on Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:38 am

Yeah they told me same story about 2years ago when I first had problems, they were good and replaced the lenses no worries, but unfortunately the issue remain today and I get the same story with manufacturing problems? Again, they're sending me new lenses, reflectors, lamp holders and plugs. Can't complain about their customer service.

But like I said, I'm over them! I'll be fix them up for the third and last time and moving onto something different.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aybe on Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:47 am

They've just sent me two lenses for free as well.Like as been stated the original plastic ones kind of delaminated.I actually bought two over the years one plastic and one glass.Same issue with the plastic replacement and the glass one had an issue with the sealant bonding it together.Contacted them they explained their issues(reckon its been sorted) and sent replacements for free.I've only just installed them so time will tell.
aybe

Previous

Return to Electrical