Request to Mitsubishi Australia

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Request to Mitsubishi Australia

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:52 am

srb wrote:I got exactly same lame response email that everyone is getting. They just have it ready copied to send to anyone that asks the difficult questions. They're hiding it for legal reasons so I guess I can understand that.. When you have something to hide you're best not to comment. Or brush over it with a lie by saying it's only a small number. pffff

croydon wrote:Email & letter sent and same 'say nothing' reply.

While I fully support what BillMcQuade is trying to do, i.e. make MMAL aware of customer concerns and encourage more open communication, I think that the expectation that your email will get a different response is completely unrealistic. They are a company and they're only doing what they should, in terms of the response, which is acknowledging your concerns and making no admission(s) that could land them in a position of further expense or liability. If they, as the management of MMAL, did anything else they'd be hung, drawn and quartered by the parent company and/or shareholders.

The suggestion that something is being hidden here, for other than normal commercial reasons, is bs, Steve. Seriously, in your own business, if you'd had a whole heap of installations go wrong would you be telling the world about it? Especially if in doing so that could give your competitors an edge that might win them the next tender over yours? Of course you wouldn't - you'd just fix what you have to fix and move on. If questioned about it what would you say? Something like "Yeah, we had a couple of problems with those jobs but we've fixed them and don't expect it will happen again"? That's exactly what MMAL are doing, mate - just on a much bigger scale.

Anyway, given the hell that you've put your Triton through and have it come out with relatively few problems, I would have expected that you'd be a shining light of support for the product, not jumping on the bandwagon to bash it, regardless of some of your more recent dealer contacts which maybe haven't been quite to your expectations.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby srb on Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:45 am

NowForThe5th wrote:
srb wrote:I got exactly same lame response email that everyone is getting. They just have it ready copied to send to anyone that asks the difficult questions. They're hiding it for legal reasons so I guess I can understand that.. When you have something to hide you're best not to comment. Or brush over it with a lie by saying it's only a small number. pffff

croydon wrote:Email & letter sent and same 'say nothing' reply.

While I fully support what BillMcQuade is trying to do, i.e. make MMAL aware of customer concerns and encourage more open communication, I think that the expectation that your email will get a different response is completely unrealistic. They are a company and they're only doing what they should, in terms of the response, which is acknowledging your concerns and making no admission(s) that could land them in a position of further expense or liability. If they, as the management of MMAL, did anything else they'd be hung, drawn and quartered by the parent company and/or shareholders.

The suggestion that something is being hidden here, for other than normal commercial reasons, is bs, Steve. Seriously, in your own business, if you'd had a whole heap of installations go wrong would you be telling the world about it? Especially if in doing so that could give your competitors an edge that might win them the next tender over yours? Of course you wouldn't - you'd just fix what you have to fix and move on. If questioned about it what would you say? Something like "Yeah, we had a couple of problems with those jobs but we've fixed them and don't expect it will happen again"? That's exactly what MMAL are doing, mate - just on a much bigger scale.

Anyway, given the hell that you've put your Triton through and have it come out with relatively few problems, I would have expected that you'd be a shining light of support for the product, not jumping on the bandwagon to bash it, regardless of some of your more recent dealer contacts which maybe haven't been quite to your expectations.

Normally you're on the money, Chris. But in this instance you're way off.

You can't compare me and my business to MMAL.
And you're wrong anyway... If I make a mistake or have a problem with an installation I fix it with no questions asked.. And I've got no problem with telling the world if I've made a mistake... Most people prefer honesty... And my morals are more important than money. I wouldn't survive in the corporate world.

So yeah I certainly don't expect MMAL to be honest about their business... What large corporations are?

You're right about one thing though... I can't complain about my MN to date. It continues to impress me with reliability considering what its been through. So big thumbs up to Mitsubishi for creating it.

And yeah I've been lucky with the engine so far but unfortunately I'll never know when I'll be up for unessasary engine rebuild or replacement.. It will eventually happen... I'm not in denial like some people.

MMALs attitude is basically the same as all other car manufacturers.. BS and lies!
So I'm not really jumping on the Mitsubishi hate wagon... Just the hate wagon for the whole automotive industry.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stoneman on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:27 am

Chris you paint a horrible picture, considering we put our families in these cars. :|

I understand your point, but it doesn't sound good.
Last edited by Stoneman on Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stoneman

Postby Longranger1 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:19 am

I can understand MMAL's take on it for commercial reasons and I also understand an owner's anger when an engine fails.
Maybe, just maybe, MMAL are at least helping resale values on Tritons by keeping quiet about it. Donning flamesuit now....
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:26 am

Not at all. I drive Mitsubishis and have done for the last 22 years. Most likely my next car will be a Mitsubishi, too.

I've said elsewhere that I think that Mitsubishi are handling this whole thing fairly well and I'd continue to stand by that. What I don't like is the projection that MMAL are a bunch of ogres intentionally setting out to harm/rip off the buyers of their product. That's complete bs - these are guys that are just doing their jobs and trying to balance their obligations to the parent company as well as to their customer base.

I don't think most people realise just how important the end customer is to a manufacturer. In the car industry survival is all about market share and a very large part of market share comes from repeat business. Issues such as those which have afflicted the MN can break a manufacturer. Mitsubishi know this well, having battled with the undeserved reputation that the Magna had due to some gearbox problems that were fixed back in the mid '80s.

My point is that releasing some of the information that is being asked for would be counter-productive to their aim to survive and prosper in the Australian market. It would give competitors an edge to gain market share at Mitsubishi's expense, something that they really can't afford to allow to happen. So they're replacing engines where they have to, even out of warranty. To me this indicates that they are a responsible manufacturer and despite the cost (which must be horrendous) trying to do the right thing by the end users.

Expectation management. Love that term but what I said above is to try to balance members' expectations on the type of response that they'll get. I'm not suggesting not to send the email - continued reminders serve to keep any company on the ball. Rather, I'm trying to obviate the hate sessions on MMAL because their response is seen as uncaring or not sufficiently addressing the issues raised.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby srb on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:49 am

I think you're being way too kind, Chris.
Nothing wrong with owners expressing their dissatisfaction/ hate towards MMAL. They deserve it with all the stupid mistakes they've made with the MN.

You're just making excuses like them.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:41 am

I think the reference to replacing motors out of warranty is misplaced. They're replacing defective products, that were defective the day they drove off the factory floor. Warranty is neither here nor there in my view in those circumstances. They're doing what they have to.

That said they aren't always being honourable about the way they do it. I'm aware of one example where they supplied a motor but refused to pay dealer labour or a loan car's costs despite the owner being stranded 3 hours from home and having to go to work. They eventually coughed up on labour charges but someone is still out of pocket for a rental car.

I'm lucky to some extent in that I have 10 year drivetrain warranty on mine. But despite that, and despite my knowledge of the vehicle gained from this forum, and despite my better than average knowledge of consumer law and related matters I continue to get the run around from MMAL having raised a series of defects with them.

The reality is that the current approach is a head in the sand move and it's not clever. A well crafted application for preliminary discovery as part of a class action would see it all laid bare.

No secret in a corporation remains a secret forever. It may take a long time, but when these things finally come out it never looks good for the people keeping the secrets. All it takes is one interested journalist, one persistent lawyer, one whistleblower, one ACCC officer doing their job properly - and the whole thing blows up. To think otherwise is self delusion. The more people that they piss off with the current approach the more likely one of the above becomes.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Too kind? Perhaps, Steve. Perhaps.

Dissatisfaction is one thing but hate is another and I think there's altogether too much of that in this world at the moment. So I'm doing my little bit to foster a better educated community in this tiny little corner. I'm not making excuses at all, just trying to get a better understanding through this forum of why they're doing what they're doing and try to reduce the vilification which invariably comes through ignorance, or a lack of understanding.

While I'm trying to spread knowledge you just go hug a tree, mate. :P Then we'll both feel better. :lol:
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:22 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Warranty is neither here nor there in my view in those circumstances. They're doing what they have to.

Agreed, but they are doing it and certainly doing much better than some of their competitors.

Cowboy Dave wrote:That said they aren't always being honourable about the way they do it.

I wonder if honour is the issue here, or is it consistency?
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby bigjobs on Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:52 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Mitsubishi know this well, having battled with the undeserved reputation that the Magna had due to some gearbox problems that were fixed back in the mid '80s.

Thanks for reminding me of this Chris!

My old man bought a new TM Magna back in the day and it had engine problems... cracked 2 cylinder heads.

Despite all the dramas, Dad kept buying the things and thought nothing of replacing motors in them, all part of owning a Magna it seemed.

So was it an undeserved reputation? Seems to me like history is repeating itself a bit with the Triton.

I'm not one to bash Mitsubishi, but having actually had a faulty motor myself, I am really disappointed and wouldn't touch another one at this point.

I really hope that it becomes common knowledge and that MMAL takes a deserved hit over it... bottom line is that these things aren't that cheap and if you can't get your quality in line with competitors, then consumers should be aware if and you also don't deserve to be in the market.
bigjobs

Postby Phil.Gorman on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:03 pm

I'm just writing to Mitsubishi myself Bill and thought I'd better check out NewTriton.

I have an overheating Challenger PC with the 4D56 engine. It scraped through the dealer's stress tests. The "Service Advisor" wanted to remove the head for a proper inspection but it didn't happen.

I learned 1.8% of these engines leave the factory with machining defects in the block or head due to cost cutting on replacing cutting heads. They stay sharp for about 4650 units but aren't changed until they've done 5,000. I'm beginning to think there may be an engine design fault as well.

The car was handed back to me with assurances everything was ok. It isn't.

A united approach is a good thing when dealing with a brute corporation. What results did you get; just the bland non-disclosure brush off? Or did they try to buy your silence?
Phil.Gorman

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:15 pm

Phil.Gorman wrote:I learned 1.8% of these engines leave the factory with machining defects in the block or head due to cost cutting on replacing cutting heads. They stay sharp for about 4650 units but aren't changed until they've done 5,000. I'm beginning to think there may be an engine design fault as well.

A united approach is a good thing when dealing with a brute corporation. What results did you get; just the bland non-disclosure brush off? Or did they try to buy your silence?

Interesting. Where did you get the stats?

The 4D56 has been around for a long time, and had a good rep. I'm pretty confident that the design is good, but the QA let them down.

I was brushed off by MMAL. This isn't the first Mitsubishi that I have bought, but it will probably be the last.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Vish on Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:17 pm

Bought our 2014 MN Triton as a tow vehicle (horse float). Started overheating recently and coolant leaking from the coolant container. Now it’s looking like we have a blown gasket! So upset to read this is a well known problem and so many affected. The idea of driving up to the Kosciusko NP with the float (after the car is fixed) worries me a lot. MM are looking at the car on Tuesday, but have said they won’t be able to fix it until March. :(
Vish

Postby Joel on Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:31 pm

Vish wrote:Bought our 2014 MN Triton as a tow vehicle (horse float). Started overheating recently and coolant leaking from the coolant container. Now it’s looking like we have a blown gasket! So upset to read this is a well known problem and so many affected. The idea of driving up to the Kosciusko NP with the float (after the car is fixed) worries me a lot. MM are looking at the car on Tuesday, but have said they won’t be able to fix it until March. :(

If they find it's the bad block issue they should provide you with a loan car until the problem is fixed
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Previous

Return to Warranty/Recalls