Turbo Flutter

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Turbo Flutter

Postby dieselweasel on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:19 pm

Hello all,
I'm at this point in time for a cheap exhaust mod. I have a muffler eliminator made out of a spare middle exhaust section from another Triton, it fits well but I've not fitted it permanently yet because I really don't want the pigeon flutter noise. Having said this, I don't even know if my ml with the compound turbo will flutter but I'm guessing with the k&n and snorkel, I will be pigeoning fairly loudly.

I also have a spare standard muffler tail piece laying about and I'm wondering if this can be used instead of the eliminator but with a hotdog or something in place of the original muffler.

I'm just after the noise but not the flutter. Will a hotdog get rid of the dose or is there a particular muffler that will fit easily and give me noise and less restrictions and will silence that turbo flutter sound? The best advice I've had so far is that a hotdog will eliminate the in cab noise but I'm keen to know all the details before I drag my beaten old man body under the wheelbarrow and start skinning knuckles.

Thanks all
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Re: Turbo Flutter

Postby braydenc on Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:14 pm

I thought a good straight through muffler should give the turbo sound minus the flutter could be wrong though.

Hotdog is essentially a pipe with very little else so I would assume you will still get it.

Plus its massive cop bait.
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Turbo Flutter

Postby borngeek on Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:29 pm

Straight thru 3"
http://www.youtu.be/3VEPXUSMUOg

With hotdog turbine resonator
(Have to skip to end to hear properly)
http://www.youtu.be/opKjH7aN8i0

Neither have flutter and only blowoff in certain situations like 28psi+
That is the vgt that does that.

It has never been pulled over ever and lives in Sydney CBD and been like that for 7 years.

Straight through is just awful in the way it sounds, you need something

Have fun!
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby braydenc on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:27 pm

Neither of those links works for me mate.
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Postby gunn parker on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:45 pm

braydenc wrote:Neither of those links works for me mate.

try this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opKjH7aN8i0
gunn parker

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:07 pm

braydenc wrote:Neither of those links works for me mate.

:lol: :lol: He can administer a server, but a hyperlink is beyond him.

DW what exhaust you have is completely irrelevant to turbo flutter which happens on the intake side. That said, you have the old tech, fixed vane turbo which doesn't suffer from flutter anyway. If it doesn't do it now then anything you do to the exhaust won't make scrap of difference. Nor does the snorkel. Turbo flutter happens between the turbo and the throttle plate and while a low resistance filter can make it a little more noticeable, this is more the case with pod filters which you don't have anyway, meaning your airbox will muffle, to a degree, whatever amount of the no flutter may happen in the intake system.

It's only the VGT turbos that get the flutter and even then it's fairly subdued. Personally I think it's cool in a covered carpark - echoes all over. Did you know that it's also a chick magnet? Apparently 2 out of 3 women think that the sound is cool. ;) So, when we go to the shopping centre together and all the young chicky babes flock to my Pajero, leaving your Triton in disdain, don't get angry. It's my turbo that's got them all aflutter. :D
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby dieselweasel on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:56 am

Thanks for the replies gang, videos are cool too, there's a stretch of road on Strickland street in Bunbury WA that makes my Triton feel like the one in the second video, the potholes are so big that they have potholes.

5th, the chicky babes are all yours, I'll save a bit of fuel with them gone and hopefully I'll attract ones that like tractor sounds.

I'm very pleased that I won't be pigeoning down the high street in town, this is the second time I've been glad to have the turbo that I have got and not anything newer.

What you say makes complete sense about the exhaust not influencing the flutter, I can see it now but before, I just assumed it was muffler related.

I'll go find a hotdog in town tomorrow.

Thanks again
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:14 am

dieselweasel wrote: hopefully I'll attract ones that like tractor sounds.

Sorry mate, but the Pajero does tractor sounds better too. In the Woolies carpark if I don't back off and get a little flutter happening people hear me coming and put their trolleys out. :roll: :lol:
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Jacobie on Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:46 am

Can confirm the flutter picks up chicks in car parks, ever better out on the tracks. 8-)

If my gf is driving, she makes it flutter more than I do :lol: :lol:
2013 MN GLX-R

Build Thread: Jacobie's 2013 MN GLX-R
Jacobie

Postby GGT82 on Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:55 am

Hey gents,

So I just bought a MN and it’s got an exhaust, chip and I’ve put on after market day intercooler pipes (old ones were shot) my question is how the gel do I get it to flutter hahaha
GGT82

Return to Exterior Mods