Retrofit Factory Rear Diff Lock

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Retrofit Factory Rear Diff Lock

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:58 am

I would have thought cleaning up the ml axles (checking condition/adjustments of diff components) and take the whole assembly ( front & rear) across to the mn would be the easiest.

There should be someone (auto engineering mob) that can weld on the required bits to convert to discs.

I'm assuming the axles are serviceable.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:02 am

Question lb84.
Why go to all the work stress and maybe cost of fitting up the diff lock to work like factory when it will be more restrictive than just fitting a switch to activate it whenever you want.
Basically more work for a lesser of an outcome
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:49 am

I was thinking the same thing ag...run the factory locker stand alone. ..

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:55 pm

Are the factory lockers a normal open diff with dog clutch or is it based around the hybrid?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lb84 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:08 pm

ag9111 :

hmmm, being pedantic? wanting a challenge? just wanting to know if it can be done? i think main issue will be wiring, which i'm hoping cowboy dave might be able to help with... need diagrams and mitsi wont provide them. can download generic ones for free, but that still requires physically checking both vehicle's looms for what is/isn't there...

i would assume the factory lockers are open til locked, would be difficult to have a limited slip mechanism and a locker in the same space.

i need to swap the gears from the front centre as the donor is an ml (actuator front diff) and mine is a my12 mn (non actuator front diff). while it's apart, good opportunity to throw an e-locker in...
9/2012 MN GLX D/C 4x4 Manual

Butbutbut... mods!
lb84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lb84 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:12 pm

oh and the wreck (and hence axles) has done 200k, my mn is under 70k. i'd rather different parts fitted have more life than originals, and be in a known condition when fitted...

Butbutbut... mods!
lb84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:30 pm

lb84 wrote: i think main issue will be wiring

But you have all of that in the wreck and diagrams are available here. It's the ECUs that may be the problem, given the donor is petrol ML and yours is diesel MN.

lb84 wrote:i need to swap the gears from the front centre as the donor is an ml (actuator front diff) and mine is a my12 mn (non actuator front diff)

Just transfer the whole setup, including housing and vacuum lines. At the rear you need the complete axle.

lb84 wrote: i'd rather different parts fitted have more life than originals

Mitsubishi diffs are about as bulletproof as they come. Unless the donor has had a particularly hard life then I wouldn't see this this as any kind of issue.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby lb84 on Fri May 04, 2018 1:25 pm

Ok, been awhile, should update.

After stripping the entire loom out of the donor car and removing or chasing all of the required wires, i started looking at the wires to the abs module, as the module changed ml to mn with the addition of stability control and traction control. Sure enough, different plugs and pinouts. But the wire was the same colour... and already there! Surprised, i went looking. The wiring on the back rails for the compressor and activation switch were there. Behind the dash, so was the wiring for the switch... and the ecu. So i checked the pinouts and the colours... all matched. i plugged in the ecu and the switch and the pump, turned on my ignition, and a new light came on under the 4wd indicator... r/d lock. It flicked off with all the others after a couple seconds. So i selected 4h and hit the button... the light came on, the pump started and a second later the three abs, trac and stability lights came on. Success!

Still waiting for busy mechanic friend to redo seals and bearings in the actual diff so it can be fitted, but the wiring is done. And in the meantime, I've just bought an e locker for the front to go in at the same time the ratios are changed...

32s, 4.3s and twin locked, come at me! Just need a diff drop and uca kit now :P

Butbutbut... mods!
lb84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Wed May 30, 2018 6:29 pm

Hey mate..got the 4.3s in yet?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby studiosimmo on Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:30 pm

a9x_hatch did you end up fitting a factory Diff/axle set up and switch it remotely? Looking into doing this but can’t find clear info. Theoretically it’s just an onboard compressor With a tank and/or regulator and a switch yeah!?
studiosimmo

Postby ag9111 on Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:41 pm

studiosimmo wrote:a9x_hatch did you end up fitting a factory Diff/axle set up and switch it remotely? Looking into doing this but can’t find clear info. Theoretically it’s just an onboard compressor With a tank and/or regulator and a switch yeah!?

Factory compressor is low pressure high flow so no tank or reg
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components