Airconditioning Thermo Fan connector

Re: Airconditioning Thermo Fan connector

Postby Redneck198033 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:54 pm

BILLC wrote:Hi Guys,

Found this fan at Sterling parts at Smithfield (Sydney) for $128 but im having issues finding a relay.
Can you use a different relay for this ? can anyone provide a part no.

http://www.sterlingparts.com.au/NGMBTT-FNA-08F

Does this fan come with the large bottom rubbers or do we just order the genuine ones from the stealers??
Redneck198033

Postby explorer.dave on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:24 pm

Redneck198033 wrote:

Found this fan at Sterling parts at Smithfield (Sydney) for $128 but im having issues finding a relay.

Does this fan come with the large bottom rubbers or do we just order the genuine ones from the stealers??

Mine didn't, and I believe others haven't as well, just go to Bunnings and grab a couple from there, not expensive.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby carrrake on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:11 pm

Redneck198033 wrote:

Yep they did for me. ordered mine only a month ago. Just need to get the m6 bolts and a mini relay
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby carrrake on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:12 pm

Also came with rubber grommets at the top
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mrjimmy on Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:29 pm

I have a 2011 MN Triton 2.5 diesel. The plug is on the passenger side headlight panel. 4 clips on top of grile and slide grille foward gives you access to it. There is 2 plugs, 1 up high with yelow wires and 1 down lower with heavier guage black and blue wires, this is the plug for thermo fan. A relay needs to be fitted in engine bay fuse box in position marked fan on underside of the lid. I stole the horn relay to test it. It works obviously as air con cycles in and out coming on and off. Hope this helps.
Mrjimmy

Postby Rhamer on Sat May 05, 2018 3:02 pm

I’m currently investigating adding the same thermo fan as the previous model to my MQ.

I’ve studied the wiring diagrams for both the MQ and the Pajero Sport (which has the fan) to see what might be already available in the factor6 loom.

After pulling the whole engine fuse/relay box apart and tracing wiring, I can now say with confidence that the answer is nothing.
In fact there is not even a wire on the appropriate pin on the ECU.

So any thermo fan addition on an MQ will need to be completely wired and a seperate relay added.
Of course the good news is the fan mounting points are there, so that is at least an easy part.

I think I would like to wire mine so it can be switched to either run with the A/C compressor, but also manually switched on as well. I don’t know much about A/C but I would think there would be times when this could be handy?

Anyway, I just thought I would post this in case anybody else was thinking about searching for factory thermo fan wiring on an MQ.

Rohan
Rhamer

Postby Rhamer on Sat May 19, 2018 7:49 pm

I got my fan installed ok.
As expected the same unit as the MN fits the MQ.
My fan did not come with rubber mounts, but it is important to source and fit them as it cuts down on the noise significantly.

Click to view larger picture

I traced the wiring and found an easy place to pick up the A/C compressor wire inside the fuse box.
It’s the white wire.
This is the switched high current wire so the fan and compressor run together.

I also ran the fan feed via a relay that is controlled by a switch in the cabin, so I can disable the fan when not needed in the winter.

Rohan
Rhamer

Postby Quintin79 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:43 am

Rhamer wrote:
I traced the wiring and found an easy place to pick up the A/C compressor wire inside the fuse box.
It’s the white wire.

so do we you use the white wire as the trigger for the relay, and run a separate power source via the relay to the fan?

or do we run the fan directly off the white wire?
Quintin79

Postby jnik on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:37 pm

I'm about to order a fan for my 2013 MN.

I wanted to check if I had the connector (looks like I do), but I had trouble removing the grill.

I removed the four black fasteners across the top, but then ran into trouble.

Others have said that there are three clips down each side ... to pull the grill forward to remove it.

But on mine, there's another of the same black fasteners on each side.

It looked like I needed to remove the headlights to get to them, but it turns out you have to remove the grill to remove the headlights ... so I guess that's not the way forward.

Any tips on how to remove these guys?
jnik

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:49 pm

From the online manual, which is a really handy place to get information like how to remove stuff.

grille_removal.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:06 pm

I just used the compressor wire as a trigger to switch a generic relay for the ac fan - works great. KISS! :lol:

I thought about setting up an over ride switch to bring it in manually to supplement the electric radiator fan, however, if its that hot, the ac is on anyway and the electric rad fan along with the 28mm core radiator are coping well with the 40+ days.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MN Driver on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:11 pm

Thanks sooooo much for this thread. Definitely going to be doing this mod. The link to aliexpress has expired.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Sh ... st=ae803_3

is this the same fan.
Also is Garrett Tang still giving discounts and how do I get his contact details.

Cheers
MN Driver

Postby thebaton on Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:14 pm

bjm74 wrote:Howdy all,

Have been reading through this thread as I've been told by the minister of finance that my aircon in my 2012 MN GLXR is Sugar High Iced Tea! I'm keen as mustard to implement this mod and do have the necessary cable as mentioned, but also have what I believe is the auto transmission cooler in the spot where the fan seems to have to go (attached pics). Has anyone else who's done this mod have this also? Just don't see how the fan can fit in this space with this already there. Any ideas??

did you ever fit the fan? that transcooler might be able to be moved behind?

I have one of these intercoolers ^^ will the thermofan fit?
thebaton

Postby Rhamer on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:31 pm

Quintin79 wrote:
Rhamer wrote:
It’s the white wire.

so do we you use the white wire as the trigger for the relay, and run a separate power source via the relay to the fan?

or do we run the fan directly off the white wire?

From memory the white wire is the clutch wire on the A/C compressor.
I would think this could also drive the fan directly, which is what I did.

Rohan
Rhamer

Postby thebaton on Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:32 pm

If i cut some of the metal under the plastic of the bumper to push my bigger intercooler out of the way to fit this thermo fan what is the downside?! if that stuff can even be cut?
thebaton

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:06 am

I don't think you can cut any metal work at the front end as it is all part of the crumple zoning.

I'd be looking at changing the tranny cooler ( location/design).
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby thebaton on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:28 am

i dont have the tranny cooler, thats from someones elses post, my issue is the larger intercooler. Air con was like a hair dryer yesterday :evil:
thebaton

Postby sv294 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi guys can someone confirm the operation of the condensor fan it looks to be triggered by the ecu so doesn't come on all the time with compressor is it also temperature controlled i used the aftermarket fan for the pb challenger put a narva relay in the fuse box but it operates very unusual im at a loss guys
sv294

Postby Glock40sw on Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:47 pm

G'day All.
I have been reading this very long thread and decided to drop coin on a fan from Stirlingparts.com.au
I have a 2012 MN GLX DualCab 2.5 Manual.
The A/C takes a long time to cool the ute down after it has been sitting in the open for a few hrs.
The Engine temp hovers around 90 to 94 at 100 to 110Klms/hr. The ute only has 67.000 klms on it. Catchcan and Tony's EGR blank have been on it since new.
Pulled the grille out and mounted the fan...easy..

Located the plug, cleaned the contact end and fitted like a finger in a bum to the Stirling fan connector.

Took the lid off the fuse box in the engine bay and found that there are 2 locations for relays for fans as indicated by the image under the lid.

Took a gamble and plugged the NARVA relay into the fan "C" location.

Kicked her over with the A/C off. no fan. pressed the A/C button and it fired up. checked the fan and she was spinning happily. Put everything back together and will see how it goes tomorrow..
Now....My Question..
Does anyone know what the Fan "E" relay would be for?
I was wondering if it would be for the same fan and be controlled by the ECU for high engine temps when the A/C is turned off.
I'm open to suggestions.
P.S. you have to click the pictures to see the whole thing.
Regards, Trevor.
Grafton

Mmmm... Tupperware.... Love Tuperware...
Glock40sw

Postby Longranger1 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:05 am

Curious about the relay position "E" as well. Could well be a supplimental supply to the a/c fan for engine temperature. Worth a try plugging a mini relay in?
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Enid_Triton on Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:41 pm

Cheers for the info Bill, I bought one of these today from Sterling Parts in Brisbane.
Fitted straight in like it was meant to be there (which it should have been if MMAL had used their brains). I bet there would have been a lot less overheating Triton's if the had because these Fans really pull in the air. That other fan works well enough when you are moving but not so well when you are in traffic. I went through my box of Relays and found a BF Falcon one that fitted (Bosch) turned on the aircon and it works. I just hope it keeps working, and I think it will because it looks like it is a decent quality item. Just wish I had checked to see if it was watertight before I fitted it.
It came with the two rubber support feet & the top rubber Mounting Grommet.

Sterling Parts Bris is only 20 minutes away from me, & I wanted to pick it up but due to the Coronavirus they are in lock-down and you can only buy online.
So I had to pay an extra 25 Bucks for delivery, but I got it on my doorstep 3 hours later, & I was quite impressed with the fan and the service.
EDIT: Part Nos:
Fan-MBTT-FNA-08F
Relay for under bonnet Fuse box-ACV31212 M07

NOTE: The Relays come in Tall & Short version, you will need a Short version otherwise the fuse box cover may not close.
Enid_Triton

Postby Sssboi on Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:23 am

What relay is everyone using? Does any one have a product number?

And where can I source the rubber mounts/grommets for the fan? I've managed to find some from an assorted grommet pack I got from eBay. Which works ok but I would prefer to get the correct ones if possible
Sssboi

Previous

Return to Electrical