Cooling System Service Campaign

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby Ozzybucket on Thu May 03, 2018 6:53 am

srb wrote:
BillMcQuade wrote:
snakesoup wrote:I like the way you think Bill, I think the combustion gas test is a great idea, can you tell us more about this teekay test ?
short of doing what your going to manage this bill, would it be viable to pull the head and have a looksie and confirm it one way or the other ?

Here is the Teekay, you can buy them from Repco;

http://wbtools.com.au/products/automoti ... -detector/

As for pulling the head, If you pull the head and find nothing, it's an expensive exercise. If you pull the head yourself and find an issue, I bet MMA will put you through the wringer for warranty. however, they can't deny the results of a Teekay test, as they probably (should be!) doing this themselves before deciding to pull the head.

I could be wrong here but I think the Teekay test isn't really going to tell you anything unless your block is already leaking... I bet there's heaps of faulty MN engines in service that would never show up in this test. The only time this test may confirm a problem is if you already suspect the issue, such small coolant loss, pressurised overflow bottle ect.

As for the higher rated cap pressure, 2.6psi combined with less thermal conductivity from the new coolant ratio... Hmmm Mitsubishi has implemented this to put extra stress on the block in the hope that it will weed out the weaker engines. Obviously this HAS put substantial stress on the rest of the cooling system ancillaries. Already we have seen members here with blown hoses and cracked radiators.

Despite what MMAL have said about the newer MN engines being "fixed" Sorry to burst everyone's bubble here but I believe that ALL the 2.5 MNs engines have the defective blocks. Just at varying levels of poor quality. Would explain why the new MNs still retain the higher pressure cap and 50% ratio coolant. Tick tick go all the MNs.

Just my opinion though.

I totally agree "..... All the 2.5 MNS engines have defective engine blocks". I was told it was I in 4 with the faulty engine blocks by the service manager, but they couldn't identify which ones they were BS. I now believe as you do that the all the 2.5 engine blocks are defective and that MMA knew this but sold them anyway on the premise we'll fix them if they go. With mine it only broke down under load towing a caravan. So some that are never used for towing etc may never have the problem maybe, or is it a ticking timebomb down the track. I would not trust one. I believe it is the biggest cover up by MMA, but I'm not letting it go stay tuned......
Ozzybucket

Postby BillMcQuade on Fri May 04, 2018 5:53 am

Ozzybucket wrote: I believe it is the biggest cover up by MMA, but I'm not letting it go stay tuned......

Good luck. Many of us have tried. I have lengthy correspondence with MMAL, including legal letters, which amounted to nothing but stonewalling. MMAL can afford better lawyers than us, and pay them to defend MMAL until the sun expands, and consumes all remaining Tritons.

Mine goes out of warranty in 2 months, but I have pretty much given up on this issue, and would never buy another Mitsubishi.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Fri May 04, 2018 7:05 pm

Posted elsewhere but in case anyone on this thread missed it;
Had the overheat issue on and off since the campaign, finally got them to check it out some months after replacing the radiator due to a slight leak in the top. New engine went in last week on my 190,000km 2011 MN Triton. Mitsubishi covered all costs. I am stoked at getting a new motor and it pulls so much better than the old one, though still have that lag on take off [auto gearbox doesn't help]. It all went very smoothly, engine ordered, date booked, even got it in a week early and only took 4 days to get done. :D
Almost 500km on the new donk and getting better all the time. Hope most people have such a good experience.
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby baito on Sat May 05, 2018 9:59 am

good stuff wild t. great news on a new engine.... hope it goes well for you.
a little update on my coolant loss issues, it seems to have stopped using heaps of coolant in the last few weeks which is a little odd... I'm thinking I may have a radiator cap issue, so I'm trying to get my hands on a new cap as I'm going to tow the camper to shep next week which will test out any cooling issues i reckon...

see how it goes :(
baito

Postby Booger on Thu May 17, 2018 5:01 pm

I've got my MN 2014-15 back after having a long engine replaced last week. Coolant temps are getting up there... 95c and 100c on a hill climb, then back to low to mid 90's. Cool days atm, but only takes a 10 min drive to get up to these temps. Feels and sounds a bit tight too, bit of a ticking noise when cold. Although it does have more power/torque.
Should this be in the normal range for a new motor? Anyone else getting these higher temps?
Spoken to the dealers service "desk jockey", he's telling me that this is OK for new motor. Everything other than that seems to be going well. Economy seem to be the same as before averaging out to about 10.4 L/100km.
Any thoughts or feedback on temperatures would be helpful.
Booger

Postby baito on Thu May 17, 2018 6:04 pm

id be asking to speak to the service manager booger... doesnt sound right to me... my old engine never went over 95 till it started playing up..
baito

Postby Crash486 on Fri May 18, 2018 5:13 am

Pre campaign, mine sat around 84C no load. Up 4C after campaign. Under load up hills have seen 97C but drops back rapidly when back to no load.
Only seen 100+C when coolant was changed and service dept didn't properly bleed it. Got rid of the air and back to the new norm.
Yours seems to me a little too high... maybe and air lock ?

crash486
Crash486

Postby RHKTriton on Fri May 18, 2018 8:04 am

My experiences with the diesels we've had, are that they are generally a cool running engine, typically 80 to 85 degrees with normal operation.

The difference with petrol engines is shown by how quick the heater starts chucking out heat in winter. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Booger on Sat May 19, 2018 8:19 pm

Crash486 wrote:Pre campaign, mine sat around 84C no load. Up 4C after campaign. Under load up hills have seen 97C but drops back rapidly when back to no load.
Only seen 100+C when coolant was changed and service dept didn't properly bleed it. Got rid of the air and back to the new norm.
Yours seems to me a little too high... maybe and air lock ?
crash486

This all sounds very similar to mine. The temps would come down from high 90s to low 90s and even high 80s pretty quickly (1-2 mins) when my foot is off the juice. I mentioned the air-lock thing and they didn't want to know... "take it to your local dealer", as the engine exchange happened in Sydney, not where I live. Now to find out how to bleed the coolant system. :?: :|
Thanks to the other two, for your advice also.
Booger

Postby baito on Tue May 22, 2018 6:09 pm

baito wrote:well lads.. tommorrow will be d day... im taking her back to mitsi as i have used 4.5lt of their coolant in 2.5 weeks... i towed my camper to the grampians last week and it got pretty hot going up hill.. i slowed down to 80 kph and pulled over when i had to.. scanguage temps were getting up there around 118... the factory guage didnt move till it hit 110 degrees and then it went to 3/4... if i didnt have a scan guage it probly would have cooked it....

i pulled over and added coolant twice, got two check engine lights, which were overheating lights, didnt come on till it was bloody hot.. once i was over thr hills and had topped her up she sat on 93-95 degrees for rest of the trip with me just doing 100kph....

see what happens tomorrow i guess... i dont really want to trade it.. id like a new motor as i have spent a lot to get it where it is now..

So a month and a half later there has been some interesting developments.... i finally dropped of my triton last monday to have the motor tested at my local dealer.... they gave me a loan triton which was much appreciated.. it was a mq glx plus and i was quite impressed by it...

So whilst waiting for the results of the test i was driving home wed arvo when a truck went through a stop sign and smashed the loaner mq.... arrgggghhhhh..... seriously.... what a dick....
Lucky no one was hurt but the triton was going on the back of a truck to the smash repairer...... doh... lucky old mate had insurance.

Anyway the dealer rang me this arvo....MMAL have approved a new long engine which is coming down from sydney asap. Im very happy as there was talk of me getting a short motor, but i didnt really want that as the current motor has seen some very high temps and i didnt like the idea of reusing the current head etc.....

So slowly we are getting there, going to put a clutch in it as well while its apart... hopeing to have it back start of june..

Not sure if ill keep her or get a new vehicle... quite worried about the possibility of it happening again ;) :?
baito

Postby Scale on Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:11 pm

Well here I am back in this thread,
Re cap 2012 mn 89,000 km motor replaced.
Today on a holiday 113,000 km on the clock and the new motor is doing the same thing as my old one (when towing) I have spoke to my dealer and MMA the Ute goes in on Thursday and I don’t want it back until it has another new motor!
If this new motor starts to over heat then it will be traded on something else so over this shite!!
Scale

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:33 pm

Just can't believe that did motors are being fitted.

Are they defective, sabotaged or fitted with incompetence?

Maybe worth considering the little 2.8 guy from Cummins.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Scale on Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:09 am

RHKTriton wrote:Just can't believe that did motors are being fitted.

Are they defective, sabotaged or fitted with incompetence?

Maybe worth considering the little 2.8 guy from Cummins.

Maybe an option down the track, when I rang my dealer the service manager is a young woman that totally know her stuff she was devo’d as she was assured that the replacement motor was a new motor and not one from the old batch and she said that it even had a different part number than the old stock motor, I can not understand why MMA would keep fitting these dodgy motors, you have to feel for the dealerships that have to fit these motors as they loose money every time they refit a motor.
Scale

Postby Stoneman on Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:37 am

My engine was replaced at 60,000 odd, new motor has overheated at 110,000
Stoneman

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:35 am

Did motor! Sounds kiwi, should have read 'dud motor'.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cozza on Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:46 pm

After having overheating issue the past week, i turned to the New Triton forums and found this thread... guess i now need to go to my local stealer and see what they can do, i can't believe this has happened as it is a 2011 GLXR and has only done 49,000kms, it is rarely driven and getting close to being out of power-train warranty.
Kind Regards
Cozza
Cozza

Postby srb on Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:19 pm

Yep, they're all "dud" engines to some extent . Relax, most people get new "dud" engines out of the warranty period... Consumer law says so.. You sometimes have to remind them of that.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BMX666 on Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:29 am

Ozzybucket wrote:
baito wrote:Ok guys who have been down this road, how much fluid were you losing? Im losing about 100 to 300 ml a day i reckon... how long should i wait till i take it back to mitsi?

Cheers

If its pumping coolant out the overflow it means that gas is escaping from the engine block into the water jacket. If you undo the radiator cap you'll hear bubbling back through the coolant reservoir. I'd ask them to replace the engine ASAP. If they don't come to the party, do as I did there is a proforma letter on the ACCC site, write a letter to the sales manager(not the service manager) of the dealership. I did this and suddenly I had a loan car and the engine replaced in a week.
Do you have a link to that letter on the accc site by any chance?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
BMX666

Postby Crash486 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:04 pm

Has anyone tried water wetter? Would it help cooling and reduce air pockets? Works in fire fighting to reduce water tension so maybe ...

https://www.autobarn.com.au/red-line-water-wetter-pink-355ml-12oz
Crash486

Postby BMX666 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:49 pm

BMX666 wrote:
Ozzybucket wrote:
baito wrote:Ok guys who have been down this road, how much fluid were you losing? Im losing about 100 to 300 ml a day i reckon... how long should i wait till i take it back to mitsi?

Cheers

If its pumping coolant out the overflow it means that gas is escaping from the engine block into the water jacket. If you undo the radiator cap you'll hear bubbling back through the coolant reservoir. I'd ask them to replace the engine ASAP. If they don't come to the party, do as I did there is a proforma letter on the ACCC site, write a letter to the sales manager(not the service manager) of the dealership. I did this and suddenly I had a loan car and the engine replaced in a week.
Do you have a link to that letter on the accc site by any chance?

So I no longer need a link to the letter.

Dropped my Triton off at the local dealer this morning at 5.30am to investigate exhaust gas in the coolant as found by my mechanic. Phone call from dealer at 9.50am, mitsi have approved out of warranty long motor replacement, they have one on its way and I should have the car back by sat lunch time. Asked for a loan car and got an ASX for the week. Car warranty expired in May last year and it's got just under 84,000km on it at the moment.

Pretty happy with the outcome. Although I'll still have to get the pricey 90,000km service done on what will be a 6000km old motor. Probably talk to my mechanic about that though I think.....

BMX666

Postby Joel on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:54 pm

Notch that one up as a win for you. And Mitsubishi for doing what they should too I guess. Where are you located BMX666?
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby BMX666 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:19 am

Joel wrote:Notch that one up as a win for you. And Mitsubishi for doing what they should too I guess. Where are you located BMX666?
Yeah a win for sure! Located in Albury Wodonga mate.

BMX666

Postby Desert Brewer on Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:41 am

Here we go again.......

Got picked up by the wife for lunch Thursday day in the 2011 MN, upon entering the vehicle happen to notice the temp gauge looked a little high. We are planning out annual xmas run down the Stuart Highway.. drove the car home after lunch - temp seemed fine - but i knew what i saw - booked car in at the local dealer Friday ( whom i haven't visited since the warranty expired in 2017), to have the thermostat replaced. Get a call from the dealer - they replaced thermostat...test drove - at about the 6 km mark temp gauge is red lining !

Spoke to the service manager yesterday - he is suggesting that it looks like the head gasket, but we will find out tomorrow with the stress test result.

This is my replacement long motor which was installed about 60,000 km ago... cars done about 117,000 km.. all the talk of dud motors being installed under warranty doesn't give me confidence ...we will wait and see what the dealer says tomorrow.. but at this point he is saying all the right stuff including the "W" word..
Desert Brewer

Postby anml_blond123 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:17 am

Is anyone dealing with this issue now out of warranty?
My 7 year old Challenger has 79000ks on the clock purchased from the same dealer it has always been serviced at. Been inspected by MMA.

Notes on investigation
Inspected it and carried out cooling pressure test
Found pressure dropped down, bled out coolant system and found air in cooling system.
Inspected it and found hole in radiator fin.
-Required to replace radiator
-required to remove cylinder head to inspect due to combustion gas in cooling system.
-suspected pitting in block
- 6 hours to remove cylinder head $924

The car has gone back in today for the further $924 investigation.
anml_blond123

Postby Poor Yorick on Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:56 am

Just another overheating case study (in progress) other triton&challenger owners may be interested in -
-I dropped my 2012 Challenger back to Mitsu dealer I bought the car from two and a half weeks ago (65000km on clock, original tyres still on rear) with the overheAting issues Common to this thread.....
-I was told by the dealer i was out of warranty.... I told them that warranty times and kms were MMA numbers and did not override my rights under consumer Law and that I expected the problem fixed....(thanks to forums such as this I was aware how common the issue is.)
-The dealer seemed more interested in me getting the $1800 - 90000km service done than looking at the issue I was concerned about.
-i said no to sceduled service until problem understood but agreed for $148 of diagnostic testing.
-I got no feedback in the first week....eventually I went back in to see the service manager (without notice) who advised me they were still doing "2ndry testing"....but would not disclose/discuss results of initial tests...(I wonder if they actually did any thing)
- After 9 business days and more phone calls (most unproductive with promises of calling me not kept) eventually the service manger let on that the dealer service foreman had "put in all the paperwork for an engine replacement" but had not heard back from MMA....since then it has been daily promises that an answer should be received soon...
I will post back to the forum to let all know what transpires...
Cheers
Poor Yorick

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components