Hello

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Hello

Postby gbg on Fri May 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Just wanted to say hi. I have joined the forum as I have started to look around at dual cabs and have taken a liking to the ML tritons. Thought this would be a good place to gather information.

I live in Gippsland, I try to get out and to soem 4wding when I can. I currently have a disco, but its not meeting my needs, hay and other like items arent ideal in the wagon lol Although lambs seem to prefer it.

I have started looking at a 3.5l ML, I usually stay with diesels but the ease of maintenance and the price is a big draw card.

Is there many down sides to these? As you would guess, owning landrovers Im not shy of a bit of home maintenance :D
gbg

Re: Hello

Postby Quinny on Fri May 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Look at all the wholesome goodness going on in this first post. Should be an example to all you other blokes. :D

The facts:

1: Ml 3.5 V6. Best Triton ever made ;)

2: Plenty of Landy bashing ... this is good. Should be more of it.

3: Little lambs ... hmmm ... sooo tasty :lol:

So, to continue - I've had my V6 since new ('07 model). 178,000 odd km's on it. I've put a new radiator in it about 30K ago. I had a 4wd actuator replaced (my fault :oops: ) . Other than that - a few batteries & tyres.

There were a few around with sloppy pistons, but they would have been fixed years ago.

Welcome young man !

[edit]

gbg wrote:I usually stay with diesels but the ease of maintenance and the price is a big draw card.
Im not shy of a bit of home maintenance :D

Taking the the rear x3 plugs out is a full day job, as I've been told. Paid someone else to do it :|
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gbg on Fri May 18, 2018 3:04 pm

Quinny wrote:Taking the the rear x3 plugs out is a full day job, as I've been told. Paid someone else to do it :|

The V6 commodore is supposed to be difficult, I didnt even look at it with my wifes just sent it to the mechanic.

Whats the fuel use been like with the V6? I am looking at one with 92k on the clock.

I hate to say it, but so far my landrover defender ute was by far my favourite car Ive had so far. Mrs didnt like it though hahaha. Went from that to a Navara (d22) didnt like the kidney damage so Mrs talked me into a GU.... Couldnt handle it, the fear of driving a 3lt Patrol.... So went back to a landrover, which I measure the economy in parts per month lol
gbg

Postby Quinny on Fri May 18, 2018 3:10 pm

gbg wrote:Whats the fuel use been like with the V6? I am looking at one with 92k on the clock.

Damn thing drinks more than I do ... about 15L per 100km. That said though, I probably should give the air filter a clean sometime :oops:
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gbg on Fri May 18, 2018 3:16 pm

15l/100 isnt too bad. The 3lt patrol was running at 14l/100.

Im lot overly concerned about a bit of extra fuel, more reliability. I am heading away with the family a bit more so id prefer to not take a trailer full of stuff, and I would like a car that has over 50% chance of starting hahahaha I get worried that one day ill be out the bush with my son and the disco will not start (currently having issues with the starter) I have a had a few issues with it over the past 12 months.
gbg

Postby Quinny on Fri May 18, 2018 3:40 pm

I've done all the regular things to mine that most on here have done ...
Bash Plates (first thing to do to check)
50mm lift - mines from Ultimate Suspension in Sydney.
265/75/R16 Coopers AT3's have been keeping me happy, for what I do.
Front / rear bar, canopy ... the list goes on and on ...

... and something to be aware of, mine has a single piece driveshaft (auto) - apparently a few issues with a lift & two piece shaft. A bit of shudder ...

I wouldn't be scared taking mine out anywhere ... as long as you're sensible & follow the normal rules.
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Fri May 18, 2018 4:43 pm

... and I got braided brake lines, as I think the original lines are a bit short with the lift ... really made a difference ;)
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gbg on Fri May 18, 2018 5:11 pm

I am looking at a manual if that makes any difference.
gbg

Postby Quinny on Fri May 18, 2018 5:35 pm

I think the manual had a two piece ... would need someone else to verify that ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat May 19, 2018 6:03 am

Yes, manual was 2 piece rear driveshaft.

Fuel consumption can vary. Mine was manual and would return:
- In heavy traffic, over 15l/100km.
- Normal suburban, about 14l/100km,
- Freeway, down to 12.5l/100km (I sit on 119km/h true)
- Easy country driving, 90-100km/h - down to 10l/100km.

The (diesel) Pajero really isn't that much better and costs a bomb more in maintenance. Timing belt and plugs only need to be done every 100,000km in the V6 and that one is a bit expensive.

No real inherent problems with the V6 Triton. Only thing I'd suggest is to not go bigger than 265/70R16 for tyres. The gearing hit is a bit hard when there isn't all that much torque available.

What is it with farmers and Land Rovers? We have another member here who is the same. Must be landed gentry though because he puts the hay bales in the Range Rover. :lol:
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Duck on Sat May 19, 2018 6:19 pm

No issues with mine at all 14l/100 around town 10-12 on highway. Best economy when I'm towing I think it must be to do with the auto Love the v6.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby gbg on Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:01 pm

I missed out on the one I was looking at, I was too slow too move on it.

I was looking at the MN models but after reading up on the engine issues I thought I would give that a miss. I had a 3L patrol previously and was to scared to go anywhere with it.

Currently also looking at a 2006 3.2l ML Triton. Are there any major issues with these? it had done 160,000ks so pretty good ks, and is very clean. I know the inlet manifold clogs up on them, but thats not going to get me stuck in the middle of nowhere with my wife and young kids :-)
gbg

Postby gbg on Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:03 pm

I had thought about buying a new one, but its not really worth it as my kids are very hard on the interior :roll:
gbg

Postby Quinny on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:20 pm

This one has some toys on it ... in Sydney 2006 ML

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=21704
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gbg on Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:38 pm

Finally sorted it out. I ended up buying a new glx mq. The deal was good so we decided new was a very good option.

Pick up is Tuesday, which is good because my disco decided it didn't want to play anymore....
gbg

Return to Introductions