Hard Lid vs Roller Lid - Blackline

Hard Lid vs Roller Lid - Blackline

Postby mattbald on Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:43 pm

Hey guys, first post here, so be gentle :lol:

I have seen a few posts with similar questions to this, but nothing for a little while and nothing that answers it for me.

I am looking at getting a new MQ Blackline in the next few weeks and can't decide if I want the standard hard cover or a roller cover. I have been looking a one of these as a possibility.

https://jhp.com.au/shop/ute-accessories ... e-options/

Anyone have any thoughts that may sway me one way or the other between the 2 types of lid?

Does the standard hard cover give a bit of extra height for storage in the tray?
Can the hard lid be removed by one person if a taller load is in the tray?
Anyone have a roller and hate/love it?

Appreciate any thoughts...

Cheers
mattbald

Re: Hard Lid vs Roller Lid - Blackline

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:16 pm

Ok, so I did the search and came up with 3 pages of results, a number which might have been suitable candidates for the question asked.

However, you are, technically correct in that there isn't another thread specifically comparing hard lids with rollers so I've just, gently, moved the thread to the correct area. Given the number of threads already, the next person who starts a new one will see me step forward and, with a classic cover drive, belt it clear into the car park. ;)

The roller lids run rings around the hard lids.
- Not painted so the alloy is much longer lasting than paint, especially Mitsubishi's
- Easy to move out of the way for tall items and then seal up as soon as done
- No need to have to find somewhere to put that big fibreglass lid
- The hard lid can be removed by one person but it isn't all that easy and can't be done with stuff in the tub
- Better waterproofing from the roller
- Neater finish around the edges and won't wear the paint off the tub rails
- If you have taller items you can still put a canvas/soft tonneau over the top to keep the weather out (does need some pre-planning but I have one customer with this and he loves the flexibility)
- Looks neater

I can think of more.....
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby mattbald on Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:47 pm

Sorry about posting in the wrong section and thanks for moving it over.

Thanks for the info, I think it’s helped make up my mind and I will go for the roller lid.
mattbald

Postby YosemiteSam on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:27 am

I've got a loadmaster hard lid. Dropping in and removing is a two person job, and it's reasonably heavy. My wife is of no use so I need to ask a mate to come by. It only adds maybe 15mm max of height to the tray so not a significant difference in what I can carry. But on the upside it has loops so I can strap things to the top of the lid if I need to - 200kg limit. It's lockable which is good. And I got mine specifically because it has little legs which let me lock the lid down with a 10cm gap still open - which my dogs appreciate.
YosemiteSam

Postby mattbald on Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:09 pm

Thanks for the info.

I think I have decided to go for the roller lid. I doubt i woukd get much help to move the lid when/if needed. :D
mattbald

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:00 am

Hard lids are a pain, giving a wedge shaped access from the sides, with a gas strut right in the way where you want to move something in or out of the tub.

Rainy weather would be worse for roller covers, esp if you need something from the front area.

Its when having to transport something bulky, eg a data cabinet, when the hard lid is esp difficult.

Miss the van, every winter. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby harmigera on Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:52 am

I'm thinking of getting a hard lid for my MQ.

Is the tailgate secured when the lid is down and locked? or to I need to get a tailgate lock?

Thanks
harmigera

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:48 am

The hard lid rear lip goes over the edge of the tailgate, so you cant effectively open it.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby harmigera on Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:53 pm

Thanks
harmigera

Postby bigboots on Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:11 pm

We had a hard lid on our MQ and replaced it with a canopy. The problem being the height restriction of the lid. Couldn't fit an Engel 40L fridge in the tray with the lid closed. You have to be very aware of the height available under the lid.
bigboots

Postby harmigera on Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:00 am

bigboots,
I may regret not getting a canopy, but at the moment I think a hard lid will work for me. I go camping with a large camper trailer, so it holds most of my camping gear. I use the ute to carry my chairs, baby webber, solar panels, beer and fishing gear. In the last 3 years camping, I've had plenty of room and a big consideration is that I prefer the look of the ute with the sports bars. I just need to add some security to stop some low life nicking my beer and fishing gear. That would totally ruin my holiday!
harmigera

Return to Exterior Mods