Trailer Break Away Monitoring

Trailer Break Away Monitoring

Postby juansta on Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:22 am

Hi All!

Im prepping my Triton to tow a camper that is required to be fitted with a break away system. This break away system requires a warning device to be installed inside the cabin (NSW, Aus regulation).

The camper manufacturer has stipulated that they use the black cable on the trailer 7-pin plug, the AUX/Reverse Light. The monitoring system to be used is (https://www.camec.com.au/camec-remote-battery-monitor)

Im having a hard time finding were this cable is routed to... Im hoping that I can get to it from inside the cabin... Would rather not have to run my own cable...

Click to view larger picture

I've tried a continuity test on ALL plugs and sockets found on the passenger side kick panel, with no success...

Can anyone provide any information on where this elusive cable end could be? :?:

I had no issues in finding the required locations fof the installation of the electric brake controller ...
juansta

Re: Trailer Break Away Monitoring

Postby juansta on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:09 am

Well I found it...

It's under the rear tray, passenger side... Just a cable stub, nothing running into the cabin. I guess it makes sense for a reverse light trigger, but not for a monitor like this one...

Guess I'll run it alongside the Anderson supply...

Easiest way into the cabin is under the passenger seat?
juansta

Postby Duck on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:15 am

Could you say the warning signal inside the cabin is your rear vision mirror, If you check and there is nothing behind you then the system is working. Sorry I have no useful information to contribute. Is there no fuse for reverse light you could tap ? What sort of animal are you towing?
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby juansta on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:35 am

The break away system supplies power to the electric brakes on the trailer once it has been disconnected from the towing vehicle. This cabin monitoring system indicates if there is enough charge in the trailers battery to supply power to keep the breaks on for at least 15min.

So unfortunately, not a simple, "Still attached" thing... Which is kinda annoying... :? Towing a forward fold camper, which will be just is just over the 2T limit imposed in NSW for this "new" (new to me, unsure when put into place) break away requirement...

Either way, I managed to find the cable, but it's not connected to anything... So will need a new run from there to extend it into the cabin... Was trying to avoid that... But no other way around it I guess.
juansta

Postby Scale on Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:00 pm

On my brake away system there is a cable that must be attached to the vehicle (not the towbar) and in the cab I have a unit that plugs into my cigarette lighter socket that tells me if the battery to the brake away system has charge and that the system is engaged, not sure why you would have to hard wire something in.
Scale

Postby juansta on Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:53 am

Scale wrote:not sure why you would have to hard wire something in.

Would love a wireless solution, but the camper is provided with a wired break away system.

What brand and model system are you running?
juansta

Postby Scale on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:40 am

This system cam with my 2017 Jayco outback
Click to view larger picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scale

Postby juansta on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:28 am

Scale wrote:This system cam with my 2017 Jayco outback

I may need to upgrade when I take delivery then... Looks like a much cleaner solution... And I wouldn't lose the reversing light pin from the trailer plug...
juansta

Return to Electrical