egr blanking and its effect on dpf

Anything Triton 2016+ related

egr blanking and its effect on dpf

Postby snippi on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:12 am

Hi guys, i know theres a bit on here on this topic but i havent been able to find any concrete info so thought i'd make a new post.
Im thinking of geting a new mq with the intention of dumping the dpf and blanking the egr with a solid plate (no hole).
Now my understanding is this will cause a dash light to come on, which is something i can live with but im wondering if thats all it is? Does it go into limp mode a few hundrek kms down the road or just stay as a warning light on the dash?
Does anyone here have it fully blanked off and how many kms travelled since?
Also what would be the best place to fit that blank?
I really dont want to use any harness that messes with thhe computer temperature readings. I just think theres to many variables for unrelated things to go wrong.

For the second part of the question regarding the dpf
I heard if the egr is blanked it will clog up the dpf much quicker and on the flip side of that some people seem to think the higher exhaust temps partially help the dpf so it doeant do as many burns..not sure whos right on that one

Whats the best solution to have this thing completely inactive?
I know if i fit a race pipe the computer will still do burns at set time or kms travelled so im thinking of geting it mapped out and dpf gutted to keep it looking like normal..
snippi

Re: egr blanking and its effect on dpf

Postby L200Shogun on Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:13 pm

I would just fit a quality oil catch can and have an on car clean once a year or so.
L200Shogun

Postby snippi on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:06 pm

Yea i doubt the caatch can does much to prevent soot
snippi

Postby WUNSIE on Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:56 pm

Its not so much the soot from the egr, its the fine mist (oil blow-by vapour) from the breather hose to the turbo inlet being the culprit, causing a fine coating on anything it comes across, inlet manifold, sensors the list goes on & on, fit a catch can then everything down stream becomes dry as a nun.
Its the oil when mixed with the egr gasses turns to carbon.
From what you are planning to do, you are probably going to cause more issues in the long run by deleting this and that
WUNSIE

Postby no_more_fg_falcon on Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:00 pm

Soot production is a result of inadequate oxygen to burn the diesel fuel cleanly.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation reduces the amount of oxygen and potentially increases soot production.

This will cause the DPF to clog sooner and will prompt the ECU to perform more frequent DPF regens.

Blanking off the EGR (electronically or physically) will stop this.

As WUNSIE said, a bigger issue is the oil mist from the crankcase vent feeding back through the intake and coating the inside of the turbo and everything downstream of it in oil. This combines with dry soot from the EGR to create a sticky tar like substance in the intake.

A catchcan is the best mod you can install for longevity IMO. There are several good threads on this. https://www.westernfilters.net.au/new-p ... orts-4n15/

It also does not void warranty, and it is legal to install as it doesn't defeat any emissions control device.

If you absolutely must blank the EGR, I strongly suggest that you do it electronically. Many of us run EGR blanking cables without issue. The one linked here also does not set any fault codes or illuminate the check engine lamp:
https://munji.com.au/collections/module ... 8244028673

The ECU opens the EGR valve if you suddenly lift off the accelerator during heavy turbo boost, acting as an electronic dump valve. Installing a blanking plate prevents this from happening. I also imagine that this occasional opening of the EGR for reverse air flow keeps it clean too, as it no longer opens to allow exhaust gas through once the EGR delete cable is installed.
2018 MQ GLX+ / 6MT / Bridgestone AT D697 / TJM: Tradesman bullbar | Rear Step Bar | XGS suspension
no_more_fg_falcon

Postby Padman13 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:24 pm

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and just purchased an MQ GLX auto. I actually just fitted a Munji EGR delete cable and have indeed found it has reduced lag but the jury is out on the fuel economy as I've only had it on a few days. I did do A LOT of reading about all this EGR/Dpf stuff and before registering on new triton.net I actually read a lot of your posts no more falcon fg and found them to be very informative. Have you managed to confirm that the EGR valve does actually still operate sometimes as a boost control? I was wondering if it is bad to keep the valve shut all the time... By the way, I remember you posted about using your scan tool to verify that the EGR commanded value is indeed 0%, and I was wondering if you used a Bluetooth one, or a proper standalone unit. I'm keen to get a Bluetooth one, but recently read some horror stories of people bricking their ECUs due to poor quality adapters... If you are using a Bluetooth module can you let me know what works on the MQ? Cheers Mark
Padman13

Postby snippi on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:57 am

I wouldnt be comfortable using any plug and play harness unless i was sure it didnt interfear with other ecu functions. The munji website sais
"on these vehicles, the ambient air reading is only used for the EGR operations and therefore does not impact the air fuel ratios"
If thats true it should be ok but i'd still rather have a full blanking plate.
Recently i had a look at the chip tuning website and looks like they can now just turn off both the egr and dpf but doesnt go into much detail..
The dpf has to go for sure. Why have something restricting your performance and fuel economy
snippi

Postby WUNSIE on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:53 pm

snippi wrote:The dpf has to go for sure. Why have something restricting your performance and fuel economy

Do you really understand what a DPF is, and the reason ALL NEW 4WD Diesel,s have one ?
You might want to start reading, to save yourself some heartache and cash

https://www.aftermarket.com.au/dpfs-del ... ot-option/
WUNSIE

Postby snippi on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:16 pm

Yes i do understand what a dpf is but i doubt u understand what it does to your $30k+ investment. Go right ahead and have your engine stripped of fuel economy, performance and while your at it its good to have diesel swimming in your oil lol. Thats not why i buy a diesel engine for. U have nothing relevant to add to this topic so please dont waste your time posting crap on here..
snippi

Postby WUNSIE on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:39 am

snippi wrote:Yes i do understand what a dpf is but i doubt u understand what it does to your $30k+ investment. Go right ahead and have your engine stripped of fuel economy, performance and while your at it its good to have diesel swimming in your oil lol. Thats not why i buy a diesel engine for. U have nothing relevant to add to this topic so please dont waste your time posting crap on here..

That's pretty rich coming from someone who has only just joined up, with a total of 6 posts, All asking for information and offering NONE, :shock: and has no idea of the relevance a catch can in relation to blow by vapours!!!!!! :roll:
I wasn't been smart with my question I directed at you, because in your first post You said You are thinking of getting a MQ , and it was an honest question I asked you in case you didn't know of their roll and operation.
In future I will keep my opinions and advice silent in regards to you, because I can see this topic going on and on and getting nowhere, and thank you once again for your maturity,
Cheers Wunsie
WUNSIE

Postby snippi on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:43 am

Yes i am asking for information what im not asking for is some greenies idea of how to dissuade people from removing the pollution junk off their vehicles (your link)
As far as catch cans, once again you have no idea what your talking about and probably fell for the catch can marketing bs like many others have.
The oil in egr is actually doing a small favour by catching some of that soot before it goes further. The real problem is the abbrasive exhaust gasses going through the engine. Dont take it from me do your own research.
https://youtu.be/FcGowUrIQV0
snippi

Postby shawty950 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:05 pm

Mate, dont want to stereotype, but are you sub-30 ?

Have you had a diesel very long or much experience owning them?

Anyways, that video is about intercooler and catch cans...in Tritons and Pajeros at least (and the interweb is full of other makes having the same issue across multiple brands) the issue is well documented where oil vapour and egr gas combine (further down the inlet tract closer to the motor), heat up and cake the inlet manifold and lead to codes and the engine stopping. Personal experience with a high mileage NS pajero and also, taking the pcv hose off while engine running on both my NT Pajero and current MQ Triton...fine oil vapour. Catch can installed and emptied monthly..ymmv.

Re the greenie shit...paste this into google...."health effects of diesel exhaust emissions"
While I dont like the fact that dpf's rob power, cost a truck load to replace, effect fuel economy etc, it is the cost of admission in this day and age to combat and the above health issues among other things. Not to mention the fines..if caught.

Anyways, 7 posts in and already upsetting people...do what ever takes your fancy, but maybe hold back on giving people shit hey.
shawty950

Postby snippi on Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:03 am

The video is simply to point that guy in the right direction. There is plenty of info there on catch cans and egr. Check his fb page for some excellent info. Interestingly the engines with blanking plate and no catch can are better off at higher mileage then engines with catch cans and no egr block. Yes soot is bad when mixed with oil but its just as bad without the oil. I preffer to believe the real diesel experts not catch can salesman or people who simply heard something and feel like they know something now. Anyways i really dont care and none of this is relevant to my original post. So just to let any future keyboard warriors know..i'm not here to talk about the enviroment or your wifes knickers.
This is like yahoo answers..ask something specific and get replies about something totally different lol
(Just the last 2 guys)
snippi

Postby Merts on Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:03 am

You've picked an appropriate username.....
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:28 pm

Let's keep it on topic please gents.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby shawty950 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:02 pm

re youtube dude....Just one guy with an opinion...heaps more with contrary ones. Just like assholes, everyone has one.

You claim to know what you are talking about, but your questions and grasp on mechanical engineering is light to say the least.

In your Original post:-
snippi wrote:Does anyone here have it fully blanked off and how many kms travelled since?
snip....
For the second part of the question regarding the dpf

If you had searched this forum you would have found that a guy called Tony from SPV industries was looking in to this electronically, and IIRC, the MQ triton egr works a whole different way to previous Pajero and Triton egr's, and does things at different times ...it was not an easy fix and afaik, is stalled at the moment. There are other cables out there, munji and chip tuning, but the jury is out...some people have seen boost drops and other things...other people are extremely happy. Me, I have a catch can, egr and dpf still in use and a chip.

To answer your original question, your ecu would have to be re-programmed to remove egr and dpf functions. It's illegal, but you know that. But there are shops that will do it.

Most of us on here would like to disable the egr...a smaller group including myself, would have liked to remove the dpf altogether...primarily from a reliability pov, secondly a power/fuel efficiency one.

Some of the responses, were alluding to the fact that this has all been talked about before and is not an easy fix or legal...hence the catch cans etc.

You then went off on the tangent of rubbishing catch cans, quoting dpf's as the cause of diesel/engine oil dilution, (which if you knew what you were talking about, is usually caused by a combination of less tension on piston compression and oil scraper rings for fuel economy and finally the high pressure fuel injections systems bypassing rings...not the dpf) and rubbishing anyone that didn't agree with your line of thinking.

You then quoted a video that was talking about Intercooler and catch cans, which is irrelevant, as snake oil and people are idiots for buying them...which again, if you knew anything about mechanicals, is a real issue.
And again rubbished people as greenies when they questioned your mechanical knowledge.

You started your original post with "I heard some shit"...asked a question or 2, was told that it was not an exact science and some alternatives...then you finish off with " I preffer to believe the real diesel experts not catch can salesman or people who simply heard something and feel like they know something now. Anyways i really dont care and none of this is relevant to my original post.

Personally, have rebuilt hot 4 engines, old v8 petrol international engines on and off over the last 30 years, do all my own mechanical...servicing, suspension installs, bullbars, fitouts....know enough to know that I dont know everything, but enough to know when someone is speaking bullshit and will investigate and find out the answer.
Not every Diesel "expert" is made the same....critical thought regarding mechanical engineering needs to be applied to what comes out of their mouths.

You took umbrage at the fact that people were not on the same page as you, got defensive when people questioned your thinking, then retaliated when rational thought was proffered or your beliefs questioned.

Which brings me back to... sub-30 years old and like any zealot, religious or otherwise, wont be swayed by rational thought or discussion and believes that attack is the best form of defense.

You have the answers....
shawty950

Postby MN Driver on Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:52 pm

I am definitely no expert, but just my 2 bobs worth. I did a remap 10,000klm ago and installed a catch can 5000klm ago. I went to drain the catch can and noticed nothing come out. I have 150 k on the clock. I then opened the catch can and found a small amount of oil, and I mean small. I haven't blocked the egr or fitted a Munji EGR delete cable.
I have no error codes. So that said, maybe just get a remap ! more power, more torque, and a whole lot less issues.
MN Driver

Postby snippi on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:05 pm

What kind of remap? Just more power or dpf egr off?
snippi

Postby MN Driver on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:38 pm

The remap gave more power, torque, egr off (or close as possible), not sure about the dpf.
MN Driver

Return to General Discussion