High temps - Overfuelling?

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

High temps - Overfuelling?

Postby ozguy7 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:42 pm

Hi all,

Experiencing some high coolant temps lately mainly when towing. Stock MN auto with EGR block and DP Chip fitted. Towing a 1.2T trailer up the Toowoomba range we hit 112 on the coolant and 102 intake temps. 2nd gear around 2600Rpm at 60kmh. Blowing black smoke.

My gut feeling is overfuelling from the chip. Would fitting a Dawes valve to up the boost a few psi be of benefit or something else I should look into first?.
ozguy7

Re: High temps - Overfuelling?

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:31 pm

112 :shock:

What is your EGT?
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ozguy7 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:34 am

Still waiting to fit the EGT. That's the first thing though for sure. I'd hazard a guess it was getting pretty high :)
ozguy7

Postby Longranger1 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:19 am

Black smoke = air/fuel ratio too rich. Too much fuel means a slow burn with egt's going through the roof.. better to drop back a gear or back off a bit.

With the engine temps you were seeing I wouldn't be at all surprised if you were hitting 700°+C post turbo.

On a brighter note, consider it a good test that the cylinder head sealing integrity is good...
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ozguy7 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:21 am

Thanks for the feedback. I understand upping the boost will help correct the mixture but is this really a sensible approach? Other option is to ditch the chip and look at other options to get some better performance.
ozguy7

Postby MN Driver on Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:41 pm

ozguy7 wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I understand upping the boost will help correct the mixture but is this really a sensible approach? Other option is to ditch the chip and look at other options to get some better performance.

Maybe look at getting a remap. It could sort out some if not all of these issues.
MN Driver

Postby ozguy7 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:01 pm

MN Driver wrote:
ozguy7 wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I understand upping the boost will help correct the mixture but is this really a sensible approach? Other option is to ditch the chip and look at other options to get some better performance.

Maybe look at getting a remap. It could sort out some if not all of these issues.

Would love to but the cost is just too high unfortunately
ozguy7

Postby srb on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:21 pm

Yeah throw a bit more air at it! Around 25psi with a dawes to eliminate spikes.
You'll need a voltage clamp on the map to fool ecu... Get yourself an egt gauge and boost gauge first.
All that won't really do much for intake temperatures other than make them hotter.
Egts will definitely be cooler but I doubt if it'll make difference to coolant temps. If you're getting max 112 degree, that ain't too bad considering that you're towing.

Mine see 110-115 quite frequently when towing. Just last month I was towing a mates 3t dual axle Jayco through the hills on a 35degree day, I pushed as hard as I could trying to boil it.. Managed to see intake temps as high as 126 degrees and coolant temps of 117 degrees... Unfortunately my clutch started slipping badly so I couldn't keep up it.

If were me I'd be changing your coolant back to the original 30% mix pre service campaign, gets rid of heat better than the 50% mix, also go back to the lower pressure radiator cap.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ozguy7 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:44 am

srb wrote:Yeah throw a bit more air at it! Around 25psi with a dawes to eliminate spikes.
You'll need a voltage clamp on the map to fool ecu... Get yourself an egt gauge and boost gauge first.

I was thinking moving from the standard 18psi to around 20psi, assuming thats enough from an EGT point of view.

I didn't realise a voltage clamp was needed? I though the Dawes gets set to the Max Boost you're after and the needle controls how fast it comes on?
ozguy7

Postby srb on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:10 am

ozguy7 wrote:
srb wrote:Yeah throw a bit more air at it! Around 25psi with a dawes to eliminate spikes.

I was thinking moving from the standard 18psi to around 20psi, assuming thats enough from an EGT point of view.

I didn't realise a voltage clamp was needed? I though the Dawes gets set to the Max Boost you're after and the needle controls how fast it comes on?
Yeah If you're only going to 20psi you shouldn't need the voltage clamp. I think 22psi is the max before you'll go into limp mode.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ozguy7 on Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:13 am

Quick update for those who might be interested or have similar issues.

I've removed the chip and running stock except for digital EGR block. If I clean the MAF sensor once a week or so then the smoke seems to stay away and the car drives and performs better.

So I'm guessing either the MAF sensor is on the way out, of the pins don't align very well and the act of unplugging / plugging it back in resolves the issue. I might even replace the air filter as maybe it's contaminating the MAF sensor easily (filter looks good though).
ozguy7

Postby right on Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:52 pm

have you done soot clean? Cleaned intake manifold?
right

Return to Drive Train Components