Hello from Honduras

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Hello from Honduras

Postby jcisne on Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:52 am

Hello,

My name is Jose, I live in Honduras, 48 years old, and I work in Information Technology.

Since I've been a good boy this year, Santa Claus just brought me a brand new 2019 Sportero (that's how Tritons are called here). It's the top of the line version, with leather seats, automatic transmission, and super select full-time 4 wheel drive.

I bought this car over the other options (Nissan, Toyota, Ford/Mazda, Isuzu and VW) because over the years I've owned vehicles from many brands, and the most durable one I've had is a 2004 Mitsubishi Montero (Pajero) IO, which I bought new and currently has 300,000 kms (many of which are on dirt roads), and it's still going strong on its original engine and automatic transmission. I just gave this old faithful little Montero IO to my 19 year old son.

Searching the web I see that L200/Sportero/Tritons from almost everywhere have the new 4N15 engine. But all the ones in Honduras still come with the old 4D56 engine, because of the low quality of the diesel fuel available here, according to the local Mitsubishi dealer. Mine is the "High Power" version, with VGT turbo, 178 hp and 400 nm.

Sporteros here are also missing the rear diff lock, which is available in the Hilux and Navara. This was almost a deal breaker for me, but then I realized that over the 14 years that I've owned the little old Montero IO, which doesn't have a rear diff lock either, I never came accross an offroad situation which I couldn't overcome with additional momentum. However, I will look into aftermarket diff lock options in the future.

I already installed a tow hitch, which I use to tow a trailer with a couple of ATVs. Now I'm looking for a tonneau cover, and maybe a roll bar. Those are all the mods I currently plan for the Sportero.

Merry Chrismas!
jcisne

Re: Hello from Honduras

Postby MQL200 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:35 am

Hello Jose,
Im Gustavo, also from Honduras, just got my new L200 3 days ago. I got the basic double cab which Im also looking to install a toneau cover and a few other things...

If interested, lets get in touch!
MQL200

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:31 am

Welcome to both of you.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby MQL200 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:56 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Welcome to both of you.

Thank you!
MQL200

Postby jcisne on Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:15 am

Thanks for the welcome Chris!

Hello Gustavo, I bought the soft tonneau cover, rollbar, tow hitch and a lock for the spare tire, all for about $900 at Multi Cars Accessories (Bulevar Morazan, Teg.). You can see them (except for the spare tire lock) here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al0NKuOzjoUDun0Aj-TJaXuxmLbY

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al0NKuOzjoUDundvIpmQ1JtLysnj

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al0NKuOzjoUDunun8gtjPpagmhoW
jcisne

Postby MQL200 on Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:53 pm

Sweet looking, congrats!!

Ill look into that. Especially interested on the spare tire lock & tonneau cover.
MQL200

Return to Introductions