Repairing the SCV Suction control valve

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Repairing the SCV Suction control valve

Postby MrCozy on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:18 pm

I'm guessing I'm going to have to look at mine soon, as I'm having some idle hunting when first start up. My main question, or 2, here is...I'm understanding the longer version will work if have shorter version currently? Mine is a 3.2l, which seems to be the pink one, which is about half the price of the blue one, But I prefer to go whichever is recommended to be the more reliable trouble free version. My second question refers to SQL...when I first bought my Triton, secondhand, few months ago...it had to have some major work done..Timing chain, guides, tensioners, and 3 injectors...secondhand,on the injectors, but all tested for proper operation...but this was not done by Mitsu, so I'm assuming, by what I've been reading, that an SQL reset most likely, wasn't performed. So from what I've been reading, this should be high on my priorities to get done?
MrCozy

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:08 pm

The ecu will periodically perform an sql without any intervention. Not sure when or how often but mine did after doing valve clearances. Battery was removed for that job so possibly if it is disconnected for a while it will do an sql. I wouldn't stress over it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:49 pm

I read somewhere ( possibly service manual) that if you leave the engine idling for about 15min, it will do a self SQL, where you'll hear the engine hunting until it settles to a steady speed.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MrCozy on Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:31 pm

That’s good to know, thanks. Now back to my first question, which scv for 3.2l? Most I see listed on eBay are the pink ones, but will the blue one work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrCozy

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:38 am

Used the pink one in both our ml and mn and running fine.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mowerman on Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:22 am

2008 ML.
Bought it 3 years ago with 120k on the clock. Now at 160k and recently starting to surge under load but only just noticeable in 2nd.(auto).
Swapped out the SCV today. Battery out and a bit fiddly but took about 40 mins.
Used a hex drive bit in a 1/4 inch socket on a ratchet.
Idled fine. Took it for a run and went into limp mode. Engine light and wouldn't rev over 1500.
Turned off then restarted and away it went. Flat out but still with engine light.
Used the Torque app and cleared the "Suction control valve stuck" fault code.
Went for another run around the block and ..Holy crap...
This thing is now accelerating as good as my old 05 xr6.
So this is what these turbo diesel are supposed to run like?

Rod
Edit..Used the pink one.
mowerman

Postby Ausgamer on Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:50 pm

Hey all, literally just replaced my SCV as l was getting a whir whir at idle but no codes on the dash. After a little bit of shopping around, l found a genuine Delphi SCV for a decent price and shipped to me for $160 in Australia. Fixed the whir whir!! no more dramas!! Might dissect my old one some day and see how bad it was.
Ausgamer

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:44 am

You'll expect to see significant scoring.

Worth polishing and cleaning it and keep it as a spare.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TrevsTriton on Sun May 12, 2019 7:27 pm

Well, its 2019, and we house 2 ML Triton 2.5ltrs. one auto, one manual,both 2wd dual cabs, 170k and 255k, and would you believe it, they both got the SCV heebee jeebees .
Have done this Mod to the auto's SCV, and it made a huge improvement and running smooth.

We installed a new Denso SCV, but the ECu light came on, couldnt get anyone to do the relearn , so did the mod instead to the old one and it is working a treat.

We were so lucky as I managed to get a Launch X431 Pro scan tool today, second hand, last updated 2012, but guess what, its perfect and suits our needs just right on. These pro scan tools are worth over 2k, but picked up for 400 , so I am happy, as the price to give these over to a workshop will pay for itself shortly, It does everything ,

Its good reading in these forums, and the information is so good :idea: :idea: :idea:
TrevsTriton

Postby MrCozy on Mon May 13, 2019 2:58 pm

Hey guys..trying to get idea what to look for. 3.2 ml..had service done..minor..oil change, decarb clean..driving today, it seems to lost power , massive lag, occasionally close to stalling..sitting at idle, and revving up..sometimes revs ok, sometimes won’t rev over 1500rpm, then stalls with foot off accelerator

Have an obdll, but I’m not sure kinda readings I’m looking for
Fuel rail pressure fluctuates around 32-34k at idle, increases with acceleration, and drops down 19-22k with foot off, then jumps back to 32-34k
Boost 0bar at idle, up to .14-.15 at 2500rpm
Voltages all ok
Do know had like a loose metal ring sound , most likely from turbo at idle, which I’m not hearing now

I did get pretty hard on it this morning for few secs before fully warmed up

MrCozy

Postby MrCozy on Mon May 13, 2019 3:00 pm

No cel light or indications other than mentioned above

MrCozy

Postby MrCozy on Mon May 13, 2019 4:54 pm

Click to view larger picture

Also U1512

Cleared, and still comes up first 2 in image..other fault found during deeper read ..while idling for this read, oil built up in exhaust..moved Ute, blue smoke with accelerating

MrCozy

Postby MrCozy on Mon May 13, 2019 4:55 pm

Click to view larger picture

MrCozy

Postby TrevsTriton on Tue May 14, 2019 1:24 pm

Did you take it back to the mechanics that did you service
TrevsTriton

Postby MrCozy on Tue May 14, 2019 2:33 pm

No Trev. I’d put about 200-300kms since the service. Problem didn’t start till yesterday afternoon. Idled for about 1/2hr this morning while checking visible hoses and sensor connections. Started driving and had a ton of smoke. Turbo now seemed operating fine, plenty of power, no smoke. Just few minutes ago, after taking off from stoplight, again same issue, no power, turbo doesn’t seem to be spooling, parked on side of road at idle, push accelerator, idles back down sometime fine, sometimes stalls.

Been doing some searching, in threads, and elsewhere, symptoms of vgt, or boost control valve, but difficult to find any in depth info on 3.2l

MrCozy

Postby TrevsTriton on Tue May 14, 2019 2:37 pm

Where abouts are you , I am Brisbane. Queensland Australia
TrevsTriton

Postby MrCozy on Tue May 14, 2019 2:44 pm

I’m in Melbourne, far away from most here

MrCozy

Postby TrevsTriton on Tue May 14, 2019 3:01 pm

As a retired mech, been out of it for 20 years, the thing that I was good at was working out problems like this.
The first thing I would do is start a list of your symptoms.

Then from each one of those symptoms I would look into each one and find a cause or fault.

In turn if I could find the problem for one symptom I would move to the next one until I found one that could be sorted out, and 9 times out of 10 it worked out to be in the middle of my list something like eg,, a vacuum line or hose that had perished and caused most of the symptoms the motor was showing.

Its just a way that I worked through things, as some younger peeps like to replace things without actually looking through what is happening.

It is just a process of elimination to work out what it is, I am sorry I cant be of assistance .

Sometimes one thing can make other things happen,

My sons Trition was giving a couple of codes up, what it was in the end was the MAP hose from the tappet cover to the sensor had perished, replaced and problem was found, just as one that comes to mind only recently.
TrevsTriton

Postby MrCozy on Tue May 14, 2019 3:18 pm

Yeah, as it seeming to come and go, it most likely is not a permanent failure of something, but most likely a result of previous poor maintenance, and after effects of now being maintained..meaning carbon issues.

Hoses all visibly seem ok and connected..will pull the map hose off when get back home and have a look and blow out

MrCozy

Postby SLIMaxPower on Tue May 14, 2019 4:29 pm

I purchased 2 from ebay over the past 3 months - both were wrong size :(
SLIMaxPower
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SLIMaxPower on Wed May 15, 2019 8:17 pm

Just ordered my third ebay unit. Stealer said over $700.
SLIMaxPower
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Thu May 16, 2019 7:58 am

$700!! :o

Did you tell them they're dreaming?

Last year I bought three units for $150 total. One went into my ml and another into the son's mn and are working well. Quality looks identical to OEM.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MrCozy on Thu May 16, 2019 12:22 pm

Mines in at the stealers at the moment, hoping will be worth the effort and diagnostic costs, get some definitive answers not had same issues yesterday, other then slightly rougher idle, smelly exhaust, and some power loss

MrCozy

Postby RHKTriton on Thu May 16, 2019 6:42 pm

BL.....y mozzed myself! Idling around town to find some spots to do a wireless link survey and the unit started surging. Missed a few tanks of 2T...will see what happens when its diet is restored. :lol:
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MrCozy on Fri May 17, 2019 11:35 am

lol .. hate when that happens

Anyways, back from the stealers.. $140 diagnostic, only issue found.. egr completely blocked an intake, and crossover pipe gasket missing, intake relatively clean, no codes, turbo ok.

What’s the preferred method now bypassing the egr? Plug and play adapter? Tony’s fix? I’ve never had codes thrown, no cel’s, and don’t want to start by going wrong way, if find that the ego starts playing up, or just a complete egr/ cooler delete kit in? Know it’s not legal, but is out of mmal’s warranty anyways.

MrCozy

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems