Thump when applying brakes.

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Thump when applying brakes.

Postby perth_boy on Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:29 pm

Hi all.

First time posting but been lurking for a while!
A month ago bought a 2013 MN GL-R and all has been well, this weekend the car started to make a thumping sound as the brakes are applied, it happens just as you begin to apply pressure to the pedal, just one thump which can be heard and felt through the brake pedal. It brakes just fine and does not make any other sound, and also only does this once or twice a trip I can brake 10 times with no clunk and then the 11th time there it is.

I'm taking it in to be looked at next week as it's still under its statutory warranty, but thought I'd ask the real experts before I got there!
Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge.
perth_boy

Re: Thump when applying brakes.

Postby WUNSIE on Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:39 pm

One of the caliper bolts haven't come loose or seizing in the slide
WUNSIE

Postby perth_boy on Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:25 pm

IS that easy enough to check? I'm super confident when it comes to fixing my enduro bikes and could strip one down to all it's parts and put it back together again, but have never taken a spanner to a car, it's like speaking another language to me!
perth_boy

Postby perth_boy on Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:08 am

Hmmm Ok last night got the front wheels off and had a look, all caliper bolts were tight and nothing else seemed loose, but again I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.
perth_boy

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:50 pm

Being able to feel the "thump" through the brake pedal suggests that it's being transferred via the hydraulic lines and is more likely to be in the brake system somewhere, rather than the more usual culprits like loose suspension or steering components.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby MrCozy on Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:33 am

Most likely, if the caliber bolts are tight, and the caliber is sliding well on its pins, one of the disc pads, probably internal one, the spring has broke which keeps it centered on the caliber piston, or on the outside pads, same which keeps from knocking against the caliper housing. The other circumstances could be in your suspension, and or wheel bearings, and may only happen when certain conditions occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrCozy

Postby perth_boy on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:25 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Being able to feel the "thump" through the brake pedal suggests that it's being transferred via the hydraulic lines and is more likely to be in the brake system somewhere, rather than the more usual culprits like loose suspension or steering components.

So once taking off the front wheels and putting them back on again, no thump for the last 3 days, what do you reckon the chances are of just having bumped something right and that's it's sorted?
perth_boy

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:03 pm

Does it have steel or alloy wheels? Factory or aftermarket?
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Longranger1 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:01 pm

Original brake pads or aftermarket?

There is some rubbish out there that are dimensionally poorly made. These have excessive movement and can cause symptoms you describe.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby perth_boy on Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:50 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Does it have steel or alloy wheels? Factory or aftermarket?

Alloy aftermarket wheels.
perth_boy

Postby perth_boy on Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:52 pm

Longranger1 wrote:Original brake pads or aftermarket?

There is some rubbish out there that are dimensionally poorly made. These have excessive movement and can cause symptoms you describe.

No idea at all, might be worth just replacing them, the PO has taken great care of the Ute so I’d be surprised if he put crap in there.
perth_boy

Postby perth_boy on Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:56 pm

Well took her for a little ride off road hoping the corrugations would shake something loose and show symptoms again before I get to the mechanic tomorrow, and what do you know, the issue's back, and worse than ever.

On first press of the brake pedal there's almost half the resistance of normal, however if I release and pump again it has full pressure, but the thud it then very noticeable.

Also and I'm not sure if this is related, after the off-road ride the handbrake needs about twice as much travel to hold the car still!

:cry:
perth_boy

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:38 am

Broken rear brake shoe, mount or slave cylinder.

Be careful taking the vehicle to the mechanic. If whatever is broken or loose gives way completely you may have seriously reduced braking ability. Although it identified the area of the problem, your little off-road jaunt was probably ill-advised in a vehicle with a suspected fault, especially when you'd already booked in to the mechanic.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby perth_boy on Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:01 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Broken rear brake shoe, mount or slave cylinder.

Be careful taking the vehicle to the mechanic. If whatever is broken or loose gives way completely you may have seriously reduced braking ability. Although it identified the area of the problem, your little off-road jaunt was probably ill-advised in a vehicle with a suspected fault, especially when you'd already booked in to the mechanic.

Appreciate the concern, and I wasn't rough enough or fast enough to put myself in any danger, I just really wanted to make sure the fault was still there when I dropped it off, they were quite clear that if it didn't present itself on a test ride that they would not start to look for faults.

Anyway the update is... Needs a new master cylinder and new brake shoes, and then all the bleeding etc. that comes along with that.
Also just booked it in with Pedders to have the whole suspension and brake system given a once over!
perth_boy

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:02 pm

Good to hear the brakes will be sorted.

Pedders? That will be expensive. I bet that they'll find something wrong with the brakes.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby perth_boy on Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:26 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Good to hear the brakes will be sorted.

Pedders? That will be expensive. I bet that they'll find something wrong with the brakes.

They charge $28 for the full check up with no obligations and in my case the more they can find wrong the better as it's still under warranty!
perth_boy

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:46 pm

Yes, I've been sucked in by their "low cost, no obligation" inspection. As have quite a few others here.

The kinds of things that they're likely to list are things that are not covered under warranty. For suspension that would include bushes, under-performing shocks and so on. Things that Mitsubishi would class as wearable, and be excluded from warranty. For example, a shockie that fails completely would be covered under warranty but one that "isn't performing to standard" would not. They really are very good at it.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby perth_boy on Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:03 pm

Haha that's good to know, thanks for the heads up!
perth_boy

Postby explorer.dave on Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:55 pm

What suburb of Perth are you from Perth_boy? Only asking because there are other options out there apart from Pedders.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby perth_boy on Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:12 pm

explorer.dave wrote:What suburb of Perth are you from Perth_boy? Only asking because there are other options out there apart from Pedders.

I'm in Shelley, SOR
perth_boy

Postby perth_boy on Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:32 am

Update: So after 3 days at the workshop, they can't figure out why the brakes are still not working :x

This is after a new master cylinder and a full bleed and new fluids!
perth_boy

Postby WUNSIE on Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:39 pm

3 Days :shock: They've probably only spent an hour on it, to stick the new master cyl on, or the apprentice had to go to tech
WUNSIE

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:18 am

I'm wondering whether the abs unit is probably the culprit?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby perth_boy on Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:45 am

RHKTriton wrote:I'm wondering whether the abs unit is probably the culprit?

100% yesterday got a call to say that they're replacing the ABS module, then later the workshop called to say that it's ready tp pick up.
Apparently the fluids were contaminated and had done a heap of damage to the master cylinder and ABS unit. Supposed to be good as new... we'll see....
perth_boy

Postby greybeard on Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:31 am

Of course the fluids did heaps of damage to the master cylinder and ABS unit, how else could they get you to pay for them
greybeard

Next

Return to Drive Train Components