Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheating?

Anything Triton related

Re: Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheat

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:12 pm

Your dealer's competency is questionable, wouldn't you first investigate the thermostat before pulling out the radiator?9

When I got a new radiator, it has highlighted in the installation notes, check for stray currents in the radiator, as otherwise the warranty is void.

Essentially, poor earthing could have current flowing in the coolant circuit, which could result in erosion in components from electrolysis and end up with possible holes in the core, etc.

Quick home check, start engine from cold, with radiator cap off and look for bubbling or coolant getting pushed out.

Last thought, are you losing coolant? The cap that came with my new radiator turned faulty after a few months and wasn't holding pressure. New cap and problem hasn't come back.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Maxiy on Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:00 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Your dealer's competency is questionable, wouldn't you first investigate the thermostat before pulling out the radiator?.

Agreed

Last thought, are you losing coolant? The cap that came with my new radiator turned faulty after a few months and wasn't holding pressure. New cap and problem hasn't come back

When it first started, he could drive for a few hours before it over heated, when opening the bonnet, the overflow bottle would be pressurised, and purging coolant through the small pinhole at the back (its a replacement bottle installed with the safari snorkel). Bubbles would also be coming into the overflow bottle from the radiator, and the coolant hoses from the engine were ROCK solid. once the car cooled down he could drive it for another few hours before it over heated again.

Radiator was replace, and he took it for 1 drive and the temps were all over the place, temps would rise to above 95 very quickly, then you could hear the coolant rushing through the engine (loud gurgling sound) and temps would go back down. He took it straight back to the dealer, which was when they said it was the thermostat.

Thermostat was replaced, and car was ok around town. Then he took it on a long drive for a camping trip last weekend, car overheated after 2 hours, then again after an hour. he left the car at camp all weekend, then on the drive home, it overheated 5 times.

Today he took the car to the dealer and it overheated on the trip to the dealer (15kms). Currently with the dealer being assess. We are hoping that they finally bite the bullet and just replace the engine.
Maxiy

Postby OffRoadDave on Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:37 pm

Maxiy wrote:
Today he took the car to the dealer and it overheated on the trip to the dealer (15kms). Currently with the dealer being assess. We are hoping that they finally bite the bullet and just replace the engine.

If they come back with some BS reason again, go to the nearest mechanic, pay him to do a combustion test on the coolant and if it fails, write a report which you can then take back to the dealer.

Might cost you an hour of the mechanics time, but how much time & money could it potentially save, while getting the run around from the dealer if they are trying to push your mate past the warranty period.
OffRoadDave

Postby Stoneman on Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:39 am

new motor cooked today at 110,000
Stoneman

Postby Maxiy on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:17 am

Good news

My brother has been given the green light for a new engine under warranty.
Bad news, my triton is now sitting in his place at the dealer because a balancing belt chewed itself to pieces yesterday. Looks to be a human error on the servicing mechanics part (fingers crossed it has not damaged the engine)
Maxiy

Postby Joel on Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:46 pm

Maxiy wrote:Good news

My brother has been given the green light for a new engine under warranty.
Bad news, my triton is now sitting in his place at the dealer because a balancing belt chewed itself to pieces yesterday. Looks to be a human error on the servicing mechanics part (fingers crossed it has not damaged the engine)

Or that is has buggered the engine and you get a new one too at their expense
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby Maxiy on Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:14 am

My brother is picking up his triton with its new engine this afternoon, fingers crossed he has no further issues. He is tossing up selling the MN while he is ahead.

My triton is back on the road and running great also, all in time for the holidays. :D
Maxiy

Postby Maxiy on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:49 pm

A quick update on my brother's replacement engine.

Engine seems to be running fine, but he took it in to our family mechanic for its 75k service, and the mechanic found a string of poor workmanship from when they replaced the engine. The smallest things were a multitude of loose, or damaged bolts, and damaged AC and alternator belts. But the most surprising, and shocking was that the bell housing Cover was completely gone.

Anyway our mechanic was appalled at the workmanship, and did a full check over the engine. He will be replacing the bell housing Cover as well.

Iam simply lost for words at how piss poor the dealer has been with this whole ordeal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Maxiy

Postby Nswgelly on Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:18 pm

My Mn 2010 triton went in yesterday for overheating, it's got 180,000km on it. They ponied up for a new long engine, good to read thread about workmanship, I'll be driving straight to my mechanic after picking it up. On the plus side though, super impressed getting a new motor at 180k!
Nswgelly

Postby soloman on Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:17 am

yes
MY 2011
new long motor mid 2014 at 49,000k
new short motor 06/03 2018 at 90,000k
So fingers crossed as the motors warranty expires tomorrow :shock:
soloman

Postby Nswgelly on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:49 am

You should be alright, they indicated to me that Mitsubishi has acknowledged the pre existing fault. Mine is out of warranty with the drive train being at 180k km. They didn't even bat an eyelid replacing it.
Nswgelly

Postby soloman on Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:09 am

Nswgelly wrote:My Mn 2010 triton went in yesterday for overheating, it's got 180,000km on it. They ponied up for a new long engine, good to read thread about workmanship, I'll be driving straight to my mechanic after picking it up. On the plus side though, super impressed getting a new motor at 180k!

let us know how you go with the new motor please Nswgelly. Goodluck Cheers Soloman
soloman

Postby Nswgelly on Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:33 pm

Will do, it's due to be ready on 16th march. I'll keep you posted
Nswgelly

Postby Enid_Triton on Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:26 pm

My latest MN doesn't overheat,,, yet.
But Dam it rattles like crazy and it only has 37,000 on the clock. How they can keep saying that it is within Specifications is beyond logic.
Once it hits 3000 rpm it sounds like cement mixer full of dry gravel, and that's no exaggeration.
Even with the radio at half blast you can still here it in the background.
I reckon the oil pump is Cactus. I gave it an oil change the other day & although the motor was full of oil the filter was almost dry. It's the first time I have ever unscrewed an oil filter on a car and nothing has spilled out, not a drop.. :shock:
Enid_Triton

Postby thebaton on Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:52 pm

Wow, doesn't sound like that engine will last, wonder what will fry first. Can you check the oil pressure ?
thebaton

Postby Mayhem2015 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:09 pm

Yeah that is not right hey. Even after mine has been parked up overnight it still dribbles like crazy when I remove it. Get that sorted.
Keeping the shiny side up since 1984. :D
Mayhem2015

Postby Nswgelly on Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:07 pm

Well picked up the car with my new motor today, what a dream, broke down after 10km off driving when the coolant hose to the thermostat blew off... The clamp hadn't been done up.... Mmm so no coolant and stranded. Luckily they were suitability embarrassed and came straight out with coolant and reattached the hose (my pliers wouldn't go wide enough for the clamp) then got it back to the workshop, bled the system, washed all the coolant off the car and back on my way again. Rookie error on the clamp, I'll expect the mechanic responsible won't hear the end of it. All that aside, the motor goes great, no tapping, nice and cool and no money out of my pocket. So asides from the hiccup, I'm happy... See how long it lasts
Nswgelly

Postby soloman on Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:34 am

Nswgelly wrote:Well picked up the car with my new motor today, what a dream, broke down after 10km off driving when the coolant hose to the thermostat blew off... The clamp hadn't been done up.... Mmm so no coolant and stranded. Luckily they were suitability embarrassed and came straight out with coolant and reattached the hose (my pliers wouldn't go wide enough for the clamp) then got it back to the workshop, bled the system, washed all the coolant off the car and back on my way again. Rookie error on the clamp, I'll expect the mechanic responsible won't hear the end of it. All that aside, the motor goes great, no tapping, nice and cool and no money out of my pocket. So asides from the hiccup, I'm happy... See how long it lasts

Thanks Nswgelly, and fingers crossed who was the dealer ? can you PM me please?
Thanks Soloman
soloman

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:13 pm

Nswgelly wrote:Well picked up the car with my new motor today, what a dream, broke down after 10km off driving when the coolant hose to the thermostat blew off... The clamp hadn't been done up.... Mmm so no coolant and stranded. Luckily they were suitability embarrassed and came straight out with coolant and reattached the hose (my pliers wouldn't go wide enough for the clamp) then got it back to the workshop, bled the system, washed all the coolant off the car and back on my way again. Rookie error on the clamp, I'll expect the mechanic responsible won't hear the end of it. All that aside, the motor goes great, no tapping, nice and cool and no money out of my pocket. So asides from the hiccup, I'm happy... See how long it lasts

No tapping? Does that mean it doesn't sound like the valves are trying to get through the rocker cover? Mine rattled from the day they installed it, so I am now wondering if it means that the valves aren't adjusted or something else is not right. Perhaps the valves need adjusting after 20,000km or something.
Anyway, I hope you get a good run from it.
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby Nswgelly on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:19 am

Yup definitely no tapping, smooth as, sounds like a very healthy motor. After 300km still sounds perfect, really happy.
Nswgelly

Postby Doug70 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:38 pm

What's the record for replacement engines?? I just picked my 2013 GLXR Triton up today after yet another engine replacement. Mitsubishi stand by their product, mine was 148500Kms on Odometer, 14 months out of factory warranty time period as well. I bought the car in January 2013 with 77k on clock. Lost all coolant at 85k, Short motor was the answer. Then at 119k started bubbling into overflow bottle which was noticable after stopping the car, long motor was the answer. Then 5 weeks ago I returned from a weekend away for it to start making the bubbling sound again into the overflow bottle. I took it in knowing what happened last time, not expecting much as most manufacturers would say your on your own, but today I picked it up, with another full long motor installed, all I had to pay for was a new radiator as the dealer said it had a small weep on one of the corners on the tank. Do I keep the vehicle or get rid of it as most of my mates are saying??? I'm keen to keep it but with all these previous issues, there are no guarantees it wont happen again. I must commend Mitsubishi on replacing an engine out of warranty, I'm a happy MN Triton driver again now. :D
Doug70

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:51 am

Well...statistically...you'd think that eventually you end up with a 100% good replacement.

My concern would be about the dealer's installation work, whether things are fitted correctly and the cooling systems is bled properly.

As a reference son's 09 MN has over 220k and still going well.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Nswgelly on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:27 am

Luck of the draw I suppose, I've got a bit over 2k on the new motor now, so far so good, drives much better than the last one even when it was new. But it's a good point, how many new motors do you need before it's time to pack it in and get a different brand? The time off the road for each new motor is three weeks or more. When you commute interstate for work that's debilitating even with the novelty of getting a new motor.
Nswgelly

Postby Maxiy on Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:05 pm

I'm a firm believed of the 'POOR INSTALL' conspiracy.
my brothers 4D56 was replaced just before xmas, and when he took it for a service to our family mechanic, he said it was one of the worst engine installs he had seen.

i think Mitsubishi Australia are genuinely a quality outfit who care about their reputation and therefore look after their customers. I think the problem is the dealers, who are just in it for the money, and dont give to sh!%$ about customer service, because they can always hide behind the brand name and plead ignorance.

Im not going to throw all dealers in the same basket, im sure their are quality dealers, with quality mechanics who actually care about the work they do. I unfortunately have yet to come across one, however this does not mean they do not exist.
Maxiy

Postby Geralt of Rivia on Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:53 am

We have had our Triton GLX MN 2013 model for a year now.
Love it, as soon as I got it I put a pre-diesel filter on, snorkel and done the exhaust and last month I put an xRox bull bar on last month (02/19).

It’s been fine for the entire year and did a trip yesterday and driving on the highway once it got passed 80km the temp gauge started move up. It ended up being fine but kept fluctuating from the middle to high (but did not get to the quarter mark before red)

4wd for 2hrs in low and high yesterday the temp was perfect but it the high way started to fluctuating again.
Got 102,000km and was thinking do I need to replace the intercooler & radiator?

Sorry for the background story there, but has anyone fixed this issue without a warranty job?
Geralt of Rivia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion