Canning Stock Route

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Canning Stock Route

Postby Rusty Iron on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:40 pm

We're finally doing the CSR in July this year so planning is in full swing. My car is a 2016 MQ GLS dual cab auto. Just under 100,000 ks on it so far and to this point, it has been the most reliable car I have ever had. The sum total of all the problems I have ever had with it is...one blown fuse. And that was my fault (lazy dodgy connection)

I am giving the car a 100,000 km birthday mega service before I go. Apart from all fluids and filters, I want to replace all belts, all major hoses, clean inlet manifold, have the DPF cleaned and the AT serviced.

So my questions are - if you were planning for a pretty serious, very remote trip like the CSR;

1. What spares would you consider taking?

2. With 100,000 kms on the clock, would you replace anything else? Would you recommend any other particular item is serviced / replaced?
Rusty Iron

Re: Canning Stock Route

Postby explorer.dave on Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:44 pm

I was on the CSR early last year, corrugations very bad, destroyed the suspension on many vehicles. If you haven't already, I would suggest suspension upgrade from stock, that's the big killer out there. You may get lucky and find they have recently graded the track. No matter what the case is, you WILL have very bad sections to travel on.
Consider a second aux fuel tank. Also check your insurance and make sure remote recoveries is covered, minimum $10K out there for assistance / tow truck.

2 spare tyres with puncture repair kit.

Enjoy the CSR, very nice at the right time of year,
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Top End Wrangler on Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:40 am

There will be lots of suggestions and considerations to be made to the vehicle and what you carry.

My suggestions are a Sat Phone (Can hire them) and a suitably equipped first aid kit and fire extinguisher.
Top End Wrangler

Postby explorer.dave on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:18 am

Top End Wrangler wrote:There will be lots of suggestions and considerations to be made to the vehicle and what you carry.

My suggestions are a Sat Phone (Can hire them) and a suitably equipped first aid kit and fire extinguisher.

Not many people are aware of this, but, if you purchase a second hand Iridium sat-phone ($200) and have a Telstra sim card and enable international roaming these work just fine, just remember it's for essential calls as you will incur internatioal call fees.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Rusty Iron on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:38 pm

Thanks guys. I do appreciate the feedback. And yes, upgraded suspension already fitted, Club 4x4 insurance organised (up to $15k recovery), already have 2 spares, sat phone will be hired, water pump driven spinifex fire putty outy thing going in (plus hand pump bottle) and ridiculously expensive first aid kit being considered.All among many other loose and fitted items to be considered.

But what I am really after, is what things to consider about the vehicle itself, considering its 100k lifespan. Should I replace CV joints? Are they a weakness at 100,000 ks? Uni joints? Wheel bearings? A spare ECU? Things like that.
Rusty Iron

Postby Duck on Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:38 pm

My biggest issue on the csr was not. Vehicle issues but bolts coming loose. If I went again I would loctite all accessories and have a few spare. Good camera ! Look forward to the photos. Are you going with others to share spares ? Fluids etc.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby mini on Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:33 am

Hi there,

Did the Canning Stock Route in my 2008 ML Triton Dual cab GLX-R. I agree 100% with the other lads about what to do. The biggest threat is shock absorbers, I left with brand new ones from a national and reputable suspension place with a 50 mm lift and new coil springs. On return home, the shockers were completely routed (if you get my drift and bad spelling) and the suspension place replaced them without a whimper. They were absolutely amazed and sent them back to the factory for R&D to look at.

Bolt down your second spare wheel assy, I made a steel plate and did that so it would not move. Funnily enough I never even got a puncture but that was just pure luck. If I did it again, I would still take 2 wheels. I presume you have a puncture repair kit and a compressor. Did not need any recovery stuff but snatch strap good as trax are.

They say overloading is the killer as it is a long stretch, my recorded mileage was 2,050 from Wiluna to Halls Creek. I had 12 gerry's of diesel and used only 11. I did not fuel at Well 23 nor Kunawaritji nor Bilununa, consumption was 12.97 litres/100 kilometres for the 2050 kilometres. My ML was a manual transmission (now have a MQ) and we averaged 137 kilometres a day over 15 days. I was with others but would have prefferred to take longer. Remember, air down and take your time, hope you don't mind some pin stripes, not as bad as Talawana Track but there are some narrow sections.

It is a great challenge, easy does it, you will have corrugations, rocky surfaces, corrugations, washouts, corrugations, a water crossing, corrugations, sand, corrugations, dunes, corrugations etc. Did I mention corrugations ??. There will be detours, then detours around detours etc., all heaps of fun. The lower half is more spectacular I think and more dunes and a higher fuel consumption with the dunes to the north. Carry at least 1 fire extinguisher, preferably 2 and beer is just as good with a shake up. Fortunately I was able to save mine for drinking. Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy. Vehicle spares were minimal, fuses, tools, fencing wire etc. No roof racks, we did not need the kitchen sink.
mini

Postby mini on Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:08 pm

Mini again, BTW, I just had the normal service, my ML had 211,000 kilometres when I left Cairns and had no mechanical issues at all. If you carry too much, it may cause you grief and the wrong thing will break. We did see a Nissan Patrol that busted in two, (thought only Nissan's did that). Thing is he had the biggest damn toolbox I have ever seen, two big (beer) fridges, every spare known to man and we had heard him earlier on the UHF bragging about his great speed and being in 2WD only - what a wanker. He passed us (overtaking) twice on the tracks. We passed him eventually at Well 46 and his vehicle was written off.

We did not have roof racks but did a daily inspection each morning including wheel nuts. Anything not tied down WILL move. Don't worry too much, enjoy the drive, look on the bright side and be positive. You will see camels, dingoes, budgerigars, and spinafex, heaps of the stuff, and other landscape sights you will never forget.

Wish I was coming with you. ;)
mini

Postby chris_s on Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:54 pm

The CSR is a must do trip - better than the Simpson - bigger and longer sand hills and as others have said MORE corrugations than any other track I've been on.
There were three vehicles in my party (a patrol, prado and mine). I had BFG all terrains and no tyre problems (yes - they were very seriously cut and chipped about on the razor sharp gibbers mostly done on our Gibb River extension after this), but the Cooper tyres (All Terrains and STT) on the other trucks had splits and side wall tears.
We all had new shocks and upgraded suspensions).
Check all bolts and nuts (including wheels) after camp. The only spares I took were silicon self amalgamating tape (several rolls - great for the countless tubing of all diam and much cheaper than buying extra new hoses), radiator repair and fuel tank repair gunk. One of the patrols split a fuel tank and I had the stuff to repair it - just took time for it to set).

Btw - you are not lonely out there, lots of people doing it in both directions and everyone stops to see you're okay if you're stopped on the side. Make sure you use your radio (channel 40) on top the sandhills and let everyone know which direction you're going and between which wells you are between.
Have fun.
chris_s

Return to General Discussion