Super Select Manual gearbox.

Anything Triton related

Super Select Manual gearbox.

Postby justinp on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:08 am

Please accept my apologies, I’ve searched the forum for answers and although there is some great information, I’ve been unable to find an explanation for my issue.
My MN 2012 manual trans with super select was purchased second hand last year, since owning it the lights that indicate the mode of 4WD have always been troubled, initially I thought after reading forum there must be vacuum related problems, so I discovered my vehicle has no vacuum associated with the transfer case and diffs, the rear wheel green lights 2h operate always, occasionally front wheel lights seem to work properly ( 4h/4hlc/4llc) only occasionally taking some time to go solid, I’ve never seen a light for the rear diff and the centre diff light always flashes, I’ve been under the car and unplugged all connections to box and transfer case ( not too easy either) there was a heap of grit in most, cleaned them out with compressed air and circuit spray, this made no difference, my concern about this got worse yesterday as I pulled my boat up a slippery ramp whilst in 4llc, when I got to top of ramp I stopped, put it in neutral disengaged back to 2h and it remained locked in 4llc, I managed to get it disengaged after turning it off, restarting and reversing back a bit, a few attempts were required for it to get back to business, again I apologise as I know there are discussions on this, but they all seem to be vacuum orientated and mine doesn’t have that, regards Justin.
justinp

Re: Super Select Manual gearbox.

Postby coastie on Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:48 pm

Often you will need to roll the vehicle one way or the other a small amount to unload the drive train to allow it to engage/disengage, this is normal behaviour

Your standard model probably won't have a rear diff lock, so that's why you aren't seeing it indicated.
The centre diff light should go solid in 4llh and 4llc, as the centre diff should be locked in those settings.
The front diff light will flash until it locks/unlocks. Again, this may require loading/unloading the drive train which is the delay you are likely experiencing.

This is explained in the owners manual to some degree.
coastie

Re: Super Select Manual gearbox.

Postby justinp on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:21 am

coastie wrote:Often you will need to roll the vehicle one way or the other a small amount to unload the drive train to allow it to engage/disengage, this is normal behaviour

Your standard model probably won't have a rear diff lock, so that's why you aren't seeing it indicated.
The centre diff light should go solid in 4llh and 4llc, as the centre diff should be locked in those settings.
The front diff light will flash until it locks/unlocks. Again, this may require loading/unloading the drive train which is the delay you are likely experiencing.

This is explained in the owners manual to some degree.

Thanks for the reply, yes no rear Locker, centre difflight remains the issue, front lights up fine, looks like I’m going to replace the solenoids for the centra diff, does anyone know which exact one it it?
justinp

Return to General Discussion