Towing and tray loading. Bent chassis buyimg tips?

Anything Triton related

Towing and tray loading. Bent chassis buyimg tips?

Postby xXLyfeXx on Mon May 13, 2019 11:24 am

Hey guys just wondering how common the tritons bend chassis are in the 2011 GLR 4x4.
Looking at buying one with 80,000kms.
I will be setting it up with:
2inch lift,
31-33inch tyres
Bullbar winch,
Back canopy
Up to 300kg load in tray before adding anything
Towing possibly 2t caravan dual axle

Is this triton going to be suitable?
xXLyfeXx

Re: Towing and tray loading. Bent chassis buyimg tips?

Postby L200Shogun on Mon May 13, 2019 4:52 pm

It is pretty is to get a Triton up to GVM
Don't overload them and flog them on gravel/bumpy roads and you will be ok
It's a good idea to weigh your loaded Triton at a weighbridge.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/bent-utes
L200Shogun

Postby Duck on Sun May 19, 2019 10:19 am

Yes it will eat it up. When you look at the amount of Triton’s out there & the amount of issues, I think you would be unlikely to have a problem. But of course sometimes weird stuff happens.
It is a 4x4 so if you can’t use it as such then why bother. If you are asking because you have seen some stress marks on the chassis then obviously give it a miss.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby senatorjohn on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:10 am

Concentrate tray load forward of rear axle especially when towing a heavy van. Not easy to do if carrying a lot.
senatorjohn

Postby Speedy70 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:12 pm

With the planned add-ons/upgrades and the caravan hooked up you might be getting close to the GCM of the vehicle, so check your calculations carefully (the weight of the bullbar/winch/larger tyres/canopy, then gear etc. add up pretty quickly and are all included in the vehicles GVM and GCM in NSW at least - not sure if the laws differ state to state).

Also, with the added vehicle weight and larger tyres you may find that the standard engine power/torque is lacking when towing.

Not sure about the bent chassis on Tritons but there is plenty of information out there. I didn't have any chassis issues towing a large van with my MN occasionally over the last 5 years.

If you plan on towing regularly and/or doing extended trips at near maximum weight, then in my opinion there are more comfortable and capable utes out there, but generally they will cost you a fair bit more to purchase than a Triton.
Speedy70
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Maxiy on Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:46 am

xXLyfeXx wrote:Is this triton going to be suitable?

It will probably handle it, but comfortably, possibly not with the engine in stock form.

You will be surprised how quickly the weight adds up.

i have a bullbar, sliders, RTT, 32" muddies, steel rims, winch, second battery, 60l fridge and full set of bash plates, on my MN all of the time. Unloaded it sits at 2400kg which only leaves me with 500kg to add for camping storage.

500kg is a fair bit, but if you are a kitchen sinker like me, i find myself sitting right on the GVM of 2900kg by the time i add in all the camping gear, dogs and my partner.

I dont have any engine mods, and it pulls fine when at its GVM, however i do lust for more power, and would think if you are close to your GCM you will be really working the engine in stock form.

If you are going to have the ute close to its GCM, i would seriously be looking at an engine tune, or chip.

Regarding chassis stress. I have yet to experience a problem with just putting loads in the tub. I ensure i sit all the heavy stuff towards the cab, to get the weight over the axle. This tends to help with handling a little aswell. My understanding however is that having too much ball weight is the big killer of the chassis (In any duel cab i might add). Keep the ball weight within the specified 300kg and, keep anything in the tub as close to the head board as possible, and you will be fine.
Maxiy

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:01 am

Biggest problem I see with the mn series ( esp. when our ml & mn are side by side) is that the original chassis has had a longer tub planted on it and as a consequence the towbar has been extended nearly 300mm further out from the axle.
Apart from the extra leverage imposed on the chassis, it is also a bit heavier to accommodate the extra reach and higher tow rating.

Common sense will suggest that what you are towing regularly shoulded be heavier than the tow vehicle. Then realise that our utes aren't one tonners like the holden or ford units specifically built for these loads years ago, they are really only good for a max load of 500kg in the back. Subtract your accessories plus towball load and work back from there.

Just because a manufacturer states a CGM doesn't mean that the vehicle is supposed to be run with this load long term.

TLC can get you a long way.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:34 am

Yep, makes you wonder how Mitsubishi came to the conclusion that the MN could tow 300kg more than the ML? Same chassis with longer tub and smaller engine. What a joke.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:29 am

srb wrote:Same chassis with longer tub and smaller engine.

Not the same. The MQ chasssis is substantially beefed up where it turns up at the back of the cab through to past the front leaf spring mount. This is, of course, where they broke in the MN (and other dual cab utes). There are smaller changes elsewhere as well.

What they did retain was the 3.0m wheelbase which was specifically to keep the tight turning circle. Personally I'd sacrifice that for a longer wheelbase and better load carrying by moving the rear wheels more centrally under the load and shortening the rear overhang.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby srb on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:26 pm

Eh who said anything about MQ? I was only comparing ML to MN.

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:40 pm

Ha ha..I like our turning circle. Always cracks me up watching other utes doing their 6 point turns or having three goes getting into shopping centre car spaces. :lol:

Ml cab, mq seats, paggy transmission on a mq chassis with short tray.....that'd be a project.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:53 pm

Yeah nah give me the longer wheel base if going a dual cab, they're hopeless enough at carrying loads.

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Return to General Discussion