MQ White paint going chalky and Mitsy playing hard ball

What were your warranty claims and recall information

MQ White paint going chalky and Mitsy playing hard ball

Postby porter001 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:46 pm

Hi guys,

I have noticed the white paint on my 2017 MQ bonnet becoming chalky and actually rubbing off. Took it in on the weekend and was told that Mitsubishi may not cover it. The reasons being the following

They found sand under my car which shows its been on the beach
Car looks like it hasn't had a wash in a while ( quote by advisor..you have to do your bit to look after it and it all goes as evidence in the application to mitsubishi to fix it)

Was told they may be generous enough to give a free buff but wondering of anyone else has had this issue. Almost like it has no clear coat.

I'll be honest and say it's probably only had 6 washes in 18 months but cant believe that they may not cover it.

Anyone else having issues??

Cheers
Ryan
porter001

Re: MQ White paint going chalky and Mitsy playing hard ball

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:35 pm

Uh oh, here we go again.

There are quite a few threads about the quality of paint out of the Thailand plant. In your case the more relevant threads are those that deal with the MN solid red that turns pink. Although that problem is a pigment related issue, it is the same kind of paint as yours and suffers similar problems otherwise.

Your paint, like the red, is what's generally referred to here as 2K. That is, it is a solid colour single layer paint that is hardened with an isocyanate activator. No clear coat.

2K paints are tough and suitable for commercial vehicles but they need lots of care to continue looking good. For a start they are applied quite thin in the factory and this is the first problem because insufficient build inevitably means that there simply isn't enough paint there to do the job. Without a clear coat for protection they tend to oxidise fairly rapidly and this means that you need to keep up the protection by way of polish in order to have that as the sacrificial layer, rather than the paint itself. So the Service Advisor is quite right - you can't just ignore maintenance and expect Mitsubishi to come good on a warranty claim.

The bit about sand is a furphy.

If they offer a free buff, take it, and then implement a programme of regular care.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby porter001 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:45 pm

Thanks for the reply, never owned a white ute before and never knew the paint differed from any other paint choice. Would like it if they explained this when I made the purchase and I would have done regular cleans/polishes.
porter001

Postby WUNSIE on Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:31 pm

porter001 wrote: Would like it if they explained this when I made the purchase and I would have done regular cleans/polishes.
:shock: :shock:

Have to agree with NFT5 though, paint is very thin compared to say my 2001 Hilux runabout, 18 years down the track and theres no comparison between the paint on the Triton and how its only a mist coat on areas that are hidden, where as on the Toyota is all covered regardless of whats covering it up, and its a lot thicker and has that depth about it.
WUNSIE

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:53 pm

Pretty poor that any vehicle should have paint issues these days. My VW & MB Vito still had great paint condition after 5 & 6 odd years respectively.

My old Morry 1100 on the other hand, needed lots of polishing and always left you with a rag saturated with oxidised paint and blue hands :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Crash486 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:28 am

A related question nft5. If you were intending keeping a vehicle a while, can you get a clear coat applied and will it last?
I ask because I was told clear coat needs to be applied to a wet base otherwise there is a bonding / longevity issue??

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Crash486

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:01 am

A urethane (i.e. two-pack) clear can be applied over any sound, compatible surface. If the substrate is fully cured then it will need thorough scuffing or sanding to provide a mechanical bond but, if this preparation is done properly then the clear will last just as long as it would over freshly applied basecoat.

Most repairs are done by blending the base over and beyond the repair area and then extending clear to the end of the panel, obviously over the existing clear. A urethane clear will bond to a surface that has been well scuffed with grey Scotchbrite or P1200-P1500. Basecoat over a cured substrate needs a coarser preparation of P600-P800.

To be honest, I think that clear over a cured substrate is actually better. Far too many painters rush the clearcoat application in the push to get cars "out the door" and this is one of the primary causes of clearcoat separation as the solvents in the base haven't yet fully flashed off and actually push the clear off as they try to escape.

Although it wouldn't be that cheap, reclearing a new, or near new, car would have a number of advantages. Certainly cheaper than a respray later it would provide (assuming quality clear and correct application thickness) a much better layer of protection which would take surface scratching repair without becoming too thin. It would also allow the opportunity to wetsand the surface to completely flat, getting rid of that horrible dry finish that is typical on Mazdas and Thai built utes and ending up with something that is orange peel free with a really deep gloss. If I had the time I'd do it to my own car while the paint is still in good condition. Big job though - needs all exterior trims, seals and glass removed first so there are no exposed edges.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Crash486 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:02 pm

Thanks for detailed reply. Much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Crash486

Return to Warranty/Recalls