Advice on buying 2007 V6

Anything Triton related

Advice on buying 2007 V6

Postby PeeCee on Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:49 pm

Hi,
My son is looking at the purchase of A MY08 V6 GLXR Triton 5spd Man.
It seems to drive nicely but has 365,000 k’s on it. Not smoking.. the price of $7900 I think reflect the high K’s.
Is there anything in particular that I should check on it ? I’m no mechanic.. only basic knowledge, and it’s s cheap vehicle just don’t want him to get stuck with someone else’s created problem.
Thanks
PeeCee

Re: Advice on buying 2007 V6

Postby WUNSIE on Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:05 pm

I remember my boss purchased one identical to the one you mention, brand new, use to travel from Central Coast into Sydney and back again on a regular basis, absolutely beautiful to ride in and drive, ;) Pulled like a 14 year old :lol: on the hills loaded up with all the gear for the days work, never had a problem only the sqeacky spring drama, a good spray of inox fixed what Booths Mitsubishi failed to sort out/ or couldn't sort out as it wasn't wrote down in a text book :oops:
WUNSIE

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:18 pm

Like any preowned vehicle, you've got to be prepared for a higher maintenance regime.

Things to look for include oil leaks, rust, condition of lubricants, etc.

Probably worth getting a RACV or equivalent check done for piece of mind.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:21 pm

I had one. In fact I have had five, with the 6G7 motor. None run that high on mileage but the reason I kept buying them was reliability.

There are plenty of high kilometre Tritons and Pajeros around. That engine has no serious inherent faults. The hydraulic lifters get noisy but with regular servicing they can last a very long time.

That's the key though, servicing. If it's been serviced properly and looked after in terms of other maintenance then it may well have another 100,000km in it. Other than that, drivelines are pretty solid. Clutches can be a bit exxy to replace so try to get a handle on what sort of shape this one is in. Suspensions are a bit weak so factor in maybe $2K there. The leather on the steering wheel will have gone long ago.

Look for signs that the vehicle has been loved - little extras that make life easier usually indicate a private owner that cared. If it was a fleet vehicle I'd probably steer clear.

Body straight and little chips and scratches touched up? Again, signs of an owner who looked after it.

Obviously, things like tyres (look for uneven wear on the fronts) and making sure that everything works.

Get a mechanic to give it the once over, looking at things like brakes, wheel bearings, CV joints etc.

At that price and with those kilometres there will be higher maintenance costs. Make sure that he understands that.

Bargain the price down a bit. In my opinion that isn't cheap. If buying from a dealer then they wouldn't have paid a third of what they're asking so will have room to move while if a private sale, waving a wad of cash under the seller's nose can have quite pleasant results.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby L200Shogun on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:38 pm

"365,000 k’s on it. the price of $7900 I think reflect the high K’s."

seems a lot for km and petrol
L200Shogun

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:27 am

As seems to be typical, after having got my son's MN (pre-owned) up to scratch, he traded it in on a new MR.

For a little over a couple of hundred, he now has a reliable and more economical vehicle, that I don't have to crawl around under.

One of his main driver's was fuel economy. I'd be curious what sort of fuel economy the petrol Triton will deliver.

My favouring him changing up was the one on his ride and the ever present risk of the overheating issue.

My 08 ml has just cracked 247k. Unless they've been done recently, brakes, clutch, battery, wheel bearings, CVs, etc, may be due.

You should use the kms as an argument to knock a bit off the asking price. If there's a maintenance booklet in the glovebox, it isn't worth the paper, dealers will fudge these if it helps their case.

Finaly, if you can't do your own vehicle maintenance, servicing and repairs are going to be the big factor.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:50 am

RHKTriton wrote:I'd be curious what sort of fuel economy the petrol Triton will deliver.

Down to 10l/100km on a trip, 13-15l/100km around town, depending on distances travelled, driving style etc., which is not that much different to the 4M41 Pajero on short trips, not quite as good on long runs.

Off road they tend to use a bit, especially in sand and heavy low range work. Diesels are much better in these situations.

Worst I ever saw towing was around 18l/100km and that was with 3.5t on the back. Somewhat better than the 30l/100km that I had from a Disco towing the same trailer.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby m sciffer on Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:12 pm

hi there
there nothing wrong with a petrol v6 they are cheaper to service and maintance can be done by you . I have just sold my mn triton and brough a v6 hilux ute 4ltr . the servicing on the nm was so dear 5 year service and only 58000 km cost 2238 dollars ,and the service at 30000 km was just over 300 dollars and the tappers were another 600 dollars for 58000 km that is not value for money.some people will bag me about the cost,of servicing when you live in grafton you have no choice.
I use a suz jimny for 4x4 and it is great one, of the other 4x4 one person has a petrol v6 triton and has over 450000 km and still goes well and have only minor issues with it and still has the orignal motor .

well the hilux does have the same fuel consumpion as the mn and has a timing chain not a timing belt and oil filters are around 60 dollars for the mn and the hilux cost around 10 dollars each that at super cheap and when you say diesel double the price, my grand daughter has a mk 3ltr petrol her last bill was 600 dollars and my daughter has a diesel and her injector pump was 1000 to reco and my grand daughter gets the same fuel comsumpion as my daughter.
keep searching around and asking people and go and talk to repair shops about the model you are buying and faults with the car .
m sciffer

Return to General Discussion