Trouble on the road

Anything Triton related

Trouble on the road

Postby deermaster on Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:12 pm

On the weekend after about 500 klms, suddenly at 100klms an hour the old girl just died on me. Had to hit flashers and pull over.The motor was still running but an orange engine light came on on the dash. Anyway, I shut it down and waited ten minutes then started it again. It started well and went well for next couple of hundred K's but light stayed on. I was going to go to a auto lecci but the next day I started it and no engine light on any more.??
Who can tell me what was the matter or what they think was the matter please??
deermaster

Re: Trouble on the road

Postby Thongsbot3000 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:45 pm

The ecu would have stored an error code. You should see a mech or ask a friend with OBD reader. Highly advise dont drive car till inspected, too dangerous and will reoccur.

I had moment like this, full car cut out. Was due to my Accelerator position sensor. When the ecu doesnt read a critical operational signal as such, will cut the car out. Unfortunately it puts you in a very dangerous position to pull over. Took me 6 months to build courage for family to ride back in, after repair
Thongsbot3000

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:20 pm

X2

Definitely try and get the code.
Could be the start of an intermittent problem that, if not dangerous, will drive you nuts.

A limpy would be bad enough but complete drop out looks a bit deadly.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby deermaster on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:12 am

RHKTriton wrote:X2

Definitely try and get the code.
Could be the start of an intermittent problem that, if not dangerous, will drive you nuts.

A limpy would be bad enough but complete drop out looks a bit deadly.

I think thatmaybe I worded that wrong. It didn't shut down completely, it went from 100klms an hour down to around 60 ,,so really I suppose its what you guys call limp mode. When I said it died on me I meant it went right down in speed and had no power. Sorry for any confusion. I thought that now the light is out and its running fine there would be no further problems with it. I had a cruise control fitted about six months ago and had it on at the time and I had accelerated a bit to get past a car then slowed back to cruise control and then next minute it started to slow right down
deermaster

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:31 am

you really need to find the code

lots of potential problems can cause the limp mode.

if the limp has occurred it most likely has sensed something and will reoccur

a scan tool can be very useful, not only does it read the code, the code can be reset- handy in the certain situations like out bush, don't have to turn the car off and hope the code resets.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby BarryIRL on Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:36 pm

I bought one of these scanners and an app for my phone, always carry it with me.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... _new_app=y

Petrol or Diesel?

If its diesel I'm going to take a wild guess at suction control valve :D

The vehicle will clear your fault light if it has 3 goo startups without detecting the fault, but as already said it will still be stored in the ECU.
BarryIRL

Postby deermaster on Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:10 pm

BarryIRL wrote:I bought one of these scanners and an app for my phone, always carry it with me.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... _new_app=y

Petrol or Diesel?

If its diesel I'm going to take a wild guess at suction control valve :D

The vehicle will clear your fault light if it has 3 goo startups without detecting the fault, but as already said it will still be stored in the ECU.

Hasn't come on again and been driving every day. It's a diesel I am going to my Auto Electrician who said he will put his scan gauge on it and sort it for me :D
deermaster

Postby deermaster on Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:12 pm

4wd26 wrote:you really need to find the code

lots of potential problems can cause the limp mode.

if the limp has occurred it most likely has sensed something and will reoccur

a scan tool can be very useful, not only does it read the code, the code can be reset- handy in the certain situations like out bush, don't have to turn the car off and hope the code resets.

As I stated in last post, its been fine ever since ,but am going to the sparky next week just to be sure as may be heading to Cape York end of September. :D .
deermaster

Postby Thongsbot3000 on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:55 pm

Hey mate. What year is your car. 1st thought comes to mind is do u have an aftermarket egr blank plate. Bit of a known issue with intermittent limpys
Thongsbot3000

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:46 am

The fitting of the cruise control may be a point of interest.
If you over boosted for a sec when you accelerated with the cruise on, it will typically drop out of cruise.

Learnt this when experimenting with boost settings.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby deermaster on Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:11 am

RHKTriton wrote:The fitting of the cruise control may be a point of interest.
If you over boosted for a sec when you accelerated with the cruise on, it will typically drop out of cruise.

Learnt this when experimenting with boost settings.

I myself was thinking this had something to do with it, as I accelerated with cruise on, but have done that quite a bit since I had it fitted.
:?

Thongsbot3000 wrote:Hey mate. What year is your car. 1st thought comes to mind is do u have an aftermarket egr blank plate. Bit of a known issue with intermittent limpys

I do have a blanking off plate, but that was fitted six years ago ad no problems, I also have the bit fitted brought from I think its SCV or something that confuses the computer and nothing goes through to the inlet manifold anyway. :?
Anyway, I should find out when I see the sparky next week. He said not to worry about it, but seeing as I may be going up the Cape again on an isolated property he will put his scan gauge or whatever it is on it for me and make sure everything is OK. The model is a 2007 ML 3.2 :D
deermaster

Postby deermaster on Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:38 pm

Went to the sparky today and he plugged the scan gauge in. All it showed was the throttle did something. He said it would have been me sticking the boot in when the cruise control was on. I have actually done that a few times but I did give it a boot full. Anyway, he cleared it and all good to go. Just thought I would let everyone know what it was. :D
deermaster

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:24 pm

Just curious, is the cruise control Mitsi or third party?

Does it hook into the loud pedal if it's an after market kit?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby deermaster on Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:01 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Just curious, is the cruise control Mitsi or third party?

Does it hook into the loud pedal if it's an after market kit?

Its an after market one I had fitted by Connections car radio It works fine and should do as it cost me around $700 fitted, has a stalk on the side of the steering column and unit is fitted under the dash. :D
deermaster

Return to General Discussion