MQ18 Triton overheating when turned off?

Anything Triton 2016+ related

MQ18 Triton overheating when turned off?

Postby Lardy on Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:01 pm

Hey All!

New around here so forgive me if this is in the wrong spot!

First of all, bought a MQ18 late last year from brand new at a dealership. Currently has 27’000km on the clock.

Recently went camping, driving home and stopped at a lookout. Turned the car off and a noise appears approx 5 seconds later. Noise sounds like a gurgling/bubbling, looked at radiator overflow but couldn’t find any bubbling. Radiator overflow line was hot and hissing heard from radiator cap. (Took a short video) Car has about 150kg of gear in the tray, not towing, small hills and long flats. Not working hard.

I visited my local mechanic he said it sounds like I own a tractor (after seeing the video and he couldn’t find or replicate it. I rang my dealership, they stated they weren’t sure and to bring the car in as it sounds like it’s overheating. I emailed them the video of it occurring. (Attached)

Took the 1.5hr drive the following week, and had the car looked at, at what I thought was under warranty. Came the afternoon and they called me back saying it was ready. I returned to the dealership to be delt a blow.

Apparently they couldn’t find any issues (regardless of the video) and they had to call their HQ Service in Melbourne to ask the engineers. They stated that it’s occurred 4 or so times that they were aware and they think it’s not an issue. They believe that the engine turbo is making the engine overheat when switched off after a decent drive as the radiator isn’t moving around.

The dealership whacked me with $75 labor charge as they “had a mechanic check over it”. This was hard to swallow as they first asked me to attend and I wasn’t aware I would be forking our money. They stated that if the car blew a rod or overheated they then can claim it all under warranty but as they couldn’t find a problem, I have to foot the bill.

Sorry for the long story, but can anyone confirm or deny what the issue may be and where I stand?

I feel like this isn’t a “normal” thing.

Cheerio all!

Video:
https://youtu.be/IWr-B3A4740
Lardy

Re: MQ18 Triton overheating when turned off?

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:35 pm

When it's cool, warm up the engine with the radiator cap off and verify it's actually full of coolant. Top up if necessary.

I'd get a new radiator cap just to be sure.

Had similar symptoms on my ml a while back ( probably caused by swapping to electric fan with original core) where the cap wasn't holding pressure. New cap and problem gone.

Turbo causing overheating - interesting diagnosis.

If everything checks out, just idle motor for 20 secs before shutting down to see if anything changes.

Have you checked gap between radiator and AC condenser for any trapped vegetation, etc.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Merts on Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:07 am

Lardy wrote:The dealership whacked me with $75 labor charge as they “had a mechanic check over it”. This was hard to swallow as they first asked me to attend and I wasn’t aware I would be forking our money. They stated that if the car blew a rod or overheated they then can claim it all under warranty but as they couldn’t find a problem, I have to foot the bill.

I wouldn't be paying the charge. There clearly IS an issue. The fact that they failed to identify it isn't your fault, and them not being able to get the cash out of MMA shouldn't be your problem either.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby WUNSIE on Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:14 pm

Merts wrote:
Lardy wrote:The dealership whacked me with $75 labor charge as they “had a mechanic check over it”. This was hard to swallow as they first asked me to attend and I wasn’t aware I would be forking our money. They stated that if the car blew a rod or overheated they then can claim it all under warranty but as they couldn’t find a problem, I have to foot the bill.

I wouldn't be paying the charge. There clearly IS an issue. The fact that they failed to identify it isn't your fault, and them not being able to get the cash out of MMA shouldn't be your problem either.

Like above I wouldn't have paid a cent, Instead I would of put up one hell of a argument hoping the waiting room was full of owners waiting for their service, dealer would of got you out of there quick smart

Care to let us know who the dealer was, or if you don't want to name them, what suburb
WUNSIE

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:43 pm

A dealer (who has spent millions on the yard and showroom to schmooz customers "but they don't make any money selling vehicles"), can't write off 75bucks for a bit of Goodwill?

They haven't delivered a solution (product or service).

In their position, I would have offered that the problem couldn't be isolated but some further testing or symptoms recorded by yourself may help.

That that turbo line still worries me as an argument for the problem, as it would help the engine keep cooler under light loads.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby wrxant on Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:34 pm

Mine did the exact same thing the other week. I had been driving upto a lookout

When I turned on my car but didn't start it, the ODBC reading for the thermostat was 87 deg C.

Upon starting the car the the boiling noise stopped but the engine temp went straight to 100 deg C and dropped rapidly as the water circulated.

All I can think of is that I had been pushing the engine a little hard just before I turned it off. Maybe I needed to idle down a little longer before turning it off.

Any chance you were pushing it a bit harder than light load before you tuned it off?
wrxant

Postby OffRoadDave on Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:55 am

Lardy wrote:Hey All!

They believe that the engine turbo is making the engine overheat when switched off after a decent drive as the radiator isn’t moving around.

wrxant wrote:Mine did the exact same thing the other week. I had been driving upto a lookout

When I turned on my car but didn't start it, the ODBC reading for the thermostat was 87 deg C.

Upon starting the car the the boiling noise stopped but the engine temp went straight to 100 deg C and dropped rapidly as the water circulated.

The pattern I'm seeing here is driving hard, then switching the engine off before letting the turbo cool down. This is probably boiling coolant in the turbo coolant pipes of which there is probably only a few hundred ml, but this won't show as boiling at the radiator overflow as the rest of the cooling system (10+ltrs) is only at thermostat temp.

While water cooled turbos have reduced the amount of idle time needed to cool the turbo before shutdown, they haven't eliminated it entirely, and if you drive it hard, then switch it off straight away, you basically turn off the cooling for it at the same time. This could also have the effect of reducing the bearing life of the turbo and cooking the oil in it as well.

tldr; Let it idle for 15 seconds before turning it off when light driving, freeway cruising or pushing up a mountain, idle for 30secs-1min, if it's a 40deg day and working hard, let it idle for 2min.
OffRoadDave

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:34 pm

OffRoadDave wrote:The pattern I'm seeing here is driving hard, then switching the engine off before letting the turbo cool down.

Agree.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to General Discussion