Another MQ Triton Stereo upgrade question

Another MQ Triton Stereo upgrade question

Postby Eazy_71 on Tue May 19, 2020 9:25 am

Hi all - I know that there have been a number of posts on the subject but I can't see the exact answer I'm looking for on the forum. I have a 2017 MQ GLX with the old style Head Unit (the one with the blue screen that dates back to earlier versions of the Pajero. I'm looking to update it - possibly to a Sony unit with replacement speakers. Main motivations are to improve sound and get iPhone integration. Before I go any further, I wanted to check a couple of things:

- I know I'll need an installation kit and wiring adapters etc (such as that supplied by Aerpro). I have seen a bit of discussion on the topic of connecting the steering wheel controls and understand that with the correct wiring kit, this can be done. I haven't seen any discussion on whether the reverse camera can be connected (assuming I buy a "reverse camera ready" unit) - is this possible and how difficult is it?

- Am I correct in my understanding that the door speakers are 165mm (6.5") front and rear but I need a set of spacers to fit them?

Thank you.
Eazy_71

Re: Another MQ Triton Stereo upgrade question

Postby wwwhistler on Tue May 26, 2020 9:05 pm

If your 17 GLX is wired the same as my GLX+ you'll be able to upgrade to the MY18 head unit quite easily and cheaply if you pick one up at a wrecker. It has apple carplay and good sound. Don't know about speakers though.
wwwhistler

Postby Staggs on Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:43 am

I upgraded the head unit in my 2016 GLS a couple of years back from the crappy original blue touch screen to a new Sony unit using all the aerpro adapters. The reverse camera and steering wheel controls all work just like factory with the Sony unit.
Staggs

Postby bigboots on Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:23 pm

What was the Sony unit? Was it specific for the Triton or a generic unit that required the Aerpro adaptors?
bigboots

Postby jerrah on Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:03 am

Does the GLX actually have rear speakers? I assumed it didn’t.
jerrah

Postby Rillatriton on Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:27 pm

I’m looking to upgrade my mn 2015 glx to a touch screen. Are most Mitsubishi challenger/ Pareto head units universal?
Rillatriton

Postby watevadunno on Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:29 pm

hi new here
sorry to take over the post
I have a 2016 glx with the base head unit. I want to upgrade it(mainly to fit reverse camera) but before I go after market I'm wondering if the factory touch screen units will be plug and play. also could I get a factory reverse camera(would the wiring already be there.

any help is extremely appreciated
watevadunno

Postby Harddrive on Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:39 pm

Hi watevadunno,
My 2016 mq had the base head unit. I upgraded it with a factory touch screen head unit from a later model Mitsubishi. 8701A627 I think it was. The wiring already exists and will plug straight in. The plugs are compatible and there is the plug for the camera taped to the wiring loom located behind the head unit. The Bluetooth hands free is also compatible.
The genuine Mitsubishi reversing camera is quite expensive, around $200+ I believe.
It also has power fed to it from the head unit. It requires 6 volts and it is regulated to 6volts from the head unit.
I used a reasonable good aftermarket camera from eBay. About $30 dollars. If you go aftermarket you need a camera with out the guide lines. The guide lines are created in the head unit. Otherwise you will have duplicate guide lines.
The aftermarket cameras are 12 volt and you can power it from the reversing light circuit at the rear of the car.
The car wiring for the camera can be located at the rear of the car at a white plug against the left inside side chassis rail. It is a 6 pin plug and has a blanking cap in it. The wiring diagram shows it as H08. The pin outs on the plug for the camera are 5 & 6. Pin 6 is the video signal and 5 is is ground or earth return for the video signal. The colours are pin 6 White and pin 5 Green with a Red Trace.
Pin 2 is not used and has no wire on it.
The other requirement is pin 4 which has a Blue wire on it needs to be jumpered to ground. From memory I stripped the wire back a bit and soldered a wire and jumpered it across to pin 3 Brown wire. Pin 3 is ground. The reason to this is so that the factory head unit knows a camera is connected. If a genuine camera is used it would not be required as or is done in the camera when the camera is plugged in.
I Hope this helps. There was a post I recall on how to remove the fascia from the dash to access the head unit.
All of the wiring diagrams etc are available on
http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/l200_v/on ... dex_M1.htm.
Harddrive

Return to Electrical