2007 ml triton getting warm but not over heating.

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

2007 ml triton getting warm but not over heating.

Postby Juslukn on Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:07 pm

Hey everyone. I bought a 2007 l200/triton a couple months back. I have noticed up big hills the temp gauge will rise a little. The last owner said he had the radiator flushed as well as the block and a new radiator cap added . I've been reading something about the exhaust gasses making their way back into the system for the temperature to rise.. has anyone had a similar problem? This problem happens when I'm not towing as well.. thanks for any input
Juslukn

Re: 2007 ml triton getting warm but not over heating.

Postby Juslukn on Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:27 pm

I should also add it doesn't loose any coolant. Hasn't boiled over. Checked for debris blocking the intercooler, radiator and the majority of behind the bumper area. It hasn't had the egr delete.
Juslukn

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:22 pm

If the coolant isn't escaping there shouldn't be any issues.

How much does the guage rise? What do you define as big hill?

Diesels don't generate much heat on the flat, not really working too hard.

Once you hit a hill and the turbo starts cranking up and fuel is getting cooked, then you will get some movement in the gauge.

One thing that may be worth checking is the water pump. The impeller and inner housing can erode, reducing efficiency.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby grox on Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:56 pm

Get obd dongle plus app on phone for real temperature reading if your worried. Only cost around $30. On my ml going up any mountain range temp will rise on guage but will recover after reaching top. On torque app temperature up to 94 c . Thats towing 1plus tonne . Anything near the red investigate it or let it cool.
grox

Postby Juslukn on Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:51 pm

Cheers for the replies. A big hill would be about 4 minute drive of steady incline. I have been monitoring the temp through a gauge but it just hasn't gotten warm since running it. It's reaching the third bar, where it usually sits at the regular just under half way mark. Just don't want this happening where I couldn't do nothing about the problem. I'm having it looked over by the Mitsubishi service centre here on Friday.
Juslukn

Postby shingler1993 on Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:24 pm

Hey mate I have the same issues. Have you had any luck fixing it yet ?
shingler1993

Return to Drive Train Components