Blocked manifold while running a Catch can.

Anything Triton related

Postby XGRUMPIG on Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:55 pm

Hi all ended up purchasing a 2006 ML glx from a dealer on my way home it threw a fault code P0106 and was gutless didnt want to rev over 2k underload so its off back to the yard to get fixed. i had same code on my pajero and it was blocked
a manifold.
Noticed it has a pro vent catch can on it they ment to stop the manifolds clogging up or jest help reduce it ?

thinking of putting a egr blocking moduel on it when i get it back ?

cheers
XGRUMPIG

Re: Blocked manifold while running a Catch can.

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:02 pm

It's a 14 year old car.

London to a brick that the catch can hasn't been on there since new. Once you have a build up then fitting a catch can won't stop it from building up further. Maybe slow it down a bit, but that's all.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Thongsbot3000 on Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:07 pm

Iv to encountered this issue.
Assuming its a ML with a 3.2L. Sounds like it has a blanking plate inserted in the EGR from previous owner. Just piss it off and leave the catch can. ML's don't take to kindly to this particular mod.

*Also pissed off the aftermarket Electronic Mod due to pinging idle issues. Just down to the catch can now

Cheers
Adam
Thongsbot3000

Postby XGRUMPIG on Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:24 pm

no egr blanking plate that i seen its just been through a full blue slip imagen they would of picked it up if it had one?
its had a can on it since 150000ks i bought it with 195000 on it.

so i should just stick to geting manifolds clean'd and catch can not worry about blocking the egr?
these fancy diesels are new to me.
XGRUMPIG

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:35 pm

Get the manifolds cleaned, refit the catch can and do the electronic EGR mod.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby L200Shogun on Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:46 am

Go back in time 6 years and a catch can wasn't considered enough to stop blocked inlet manifolds.
Wasn't this part of the reason why "resister" mods were investigated developed? and issues with blank plates.

Now on the internet lots of places recommend blank plates as a good thing or catch cans are a one stop way to stop inlet manifold build up. These same places often say resisters are bad for your engine (which I don't believe is true for ML MN)
L200Shogun

Postby grox on Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:14 pm

Dont forget to clean the tube from top of manifold or even double check you have the later upper manifold with the tube exit up higher . Its the 5 or 6mm tube running up to the sensor on the firewall. Any shit in that is no good will cause your issue. It can buy you time before you have to clean it. As said above dont do plate do the resistor mod .
grox

Postby XGRUMPIG on Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:14 am

got the triton back from dealers they didnt do full clean apparently just the Map sensory was clogged up so they fixed that drives 100x better going to get one of those resistor egr modules as soon as i can afford one.

Cheers all
XGRUMPIG

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:47 pm

I've had a blanking plate in since a few months after purchasing the unit, @ around 2500kms, without any dramas.

I fitted the plate immediately after the EGR cooler, to help prevent water ever getting into the engine if it failed.

A few years later I added the resistor mod to mainly prevent wear on the EGR valve and keep the throttle flap fully open when driving.

Having 267k on the clock, I don't see any need for a catch can when the EGR is disabled, a little oil vapour won't do any harm.

The MAF sensor and tube on the MAP sensor are worth cleaning regularly.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:20 pm

RHKTriton wrote:I've had a blanking plate in since a few months after purchasing the unit, @ around 2500kms, without any dramas.

I fitted the plate immediately after the EGR cooler, to help prevent water ever getting into the engine if it failed.

A few years later I added the resistor mod to mainly prevent wear on the EGR valve and keep the throttle flap fully open when driving.

Having 267k on the clock, I don't see any need for a catch can when the EGR is disabled, a little oil vapour won't do any harm.

The MAF sensor and tube on the MAP sensor are worth cleaning regularly.
My ml was set up exacty the same
360k and no prob..but had the catch can ..now I have a mr so only a catch can as egr blocks cause problems on the new mivec motors...
viking shippy

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:29 pm

Manifold gunk is the result of the EGR component and oil mist, bit like epoxy, keep A&B apart and no reaction. :lol:

The DPF functionality is probably intertwined with the EGR activity.

Catch can would make sense here.

Happy with the MR V.S. ?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:44 am

yes very happy
I thought the ml was something special!
whilst the styling was nice on the ml
the new block shape for capacity and room is great !
the deisel mivec with the 6-speed auto is something to behold.
viking shippy

Postby colin b on Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:10 pm

I was poking around under the bonnet of my MN the other day and checked the catch can, finding just a little blackish sludge in the bottom but a thought occurred to me: Because of a lack of space I mounted the can on the left side of the engine block and ran hoses about a metre long to make the connections. I wonder if sending the air from the turbo on this "Cook's Tour" is impeding the engine's breathing as any plumber will tell you that the longer the pipe the lower the pressure at the outlet due to internal friction. :?
Try not: Do or do not, there is no "try". (Jedi Master Yoda)
colin b

Return to General Discussion