MQ Rough Idle

MQ Rough Idle

Postby Robvenning on Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:54 pm

Hello,
Im new to this forum so if this isn't the right place to post this i apologize.

I have a 2017 Triton MQ 5 speed auto 2.4 (4n15) with 132,000 kms.
I have recently noticed a rough idle when stopped (I have only noticed it in gear), and a slight hesitation when taking off.
I have asked around and nobody can really tell me what the problem is, I think it might be the intake clogged up with soot but I'd love to hear your opinions on it.
It also seems to be using slightly more fuel and the engine sounds much rougher tan it used to.

The ute has been serviced every 10,000 kms religiously at the dealer, and I havent had any faults since I bought the Triton brand new.
I drive it very gently on very long distances, (rarely less than 30kms at a time and the occasional 500km drive) but it does do quite a lot of towing.

Again I apologize if this isn't the right thread but it's beginning to worry me and I'd love to catch any serious problems before they come.

The link is the problem I describe. It seems very unnoticeable but It shakes the Triton quite severely.

https://youtu.be/sQWl_QVjFRU
Robvenning

Re: MQ Rough Idle

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:48 am

Almost impossible to diagnose something like this remotely given that it could be any of a number of things. Best to take it in to your dealer and get them to diagnose.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:15 am

Have a look under the plastic engine cover. Especially where the injectors go into the head. With that model you should have had your valve clearances done twice, and i have heard of poor sealing around the injectors can cause issues. the area around the injectors should be dry, not oily or wet.

A clip of the engine running with cover off might help.

But as the man says.....

NowForThe5th wrote:Almost impossible to diagnose something like this remotely given that it could be any of a number of things. Best to take it in to your dealer and get them to diagnose.
White 2018 MQ Sportsbar Nudge bar, Towbar, EDS
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:36 am

First things I'd do on the diy side.

Drain your fuel filter into a jar and see if there is contamination.

Clean the MAF sensor and MAP sensor tubing.

Wack a dose of Diesel fuel system cleaner in a partially filled tank and give it a 'lively' drive.

Check your air filter, don't assume it's clean.

Re filters, mark them (scratch) with the date and Kilometers they were replaced. I've had the case where a dealer skipped two fuel filter changes before I picked it up.

Ultimately, a competent dealer should be able to plug in the MUT and see if any parameters are out.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Servicing