Flexiglass Canopy

Flexiglass Canopy

Postby jstoeckli on Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:17 pm

Hi All,

Just picked up a second hand Flexisport Canopy for my 2013 MN triton, and just want to confirm something re wiring.

It has about 1 metre of lead with 3 plugs for stop light, internal light and demister. From what I have read, it will need its own power and was wondering wether I could splice into the relay I installed for the trailer lights. Constant on for the interior light and stop light wired into trailer stop light?

Or is there a safer/more efficient way? Have asked Flexiglass but still waiting to hear back. If I cant use the Trailer Plug wiring, I can easily run power/fuse for internal light, but I just dont know where to splice the canopy stop light into.

I tried every search variable I could think of specific to this topic but couldnt find concrete answers.

Thank you!
jstoeckli

Re: Flexiglass Canopy

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:49 pm

If you have the standard 7 pin round or flat connector and you don't have electric brakes on the trailer then you could, feasibly, use that wire for power. It will confuse the next owner and anyone who works on the vehicle no end, though and may not be able to carry the current you need (now and in the future).

Really, better to buy a length of trailer cable (5 or 7 core) and use that exclusively for the canopy. Run it through a fuse box and you'll have power for other things like a frig, air mattress pump, extra lights and so on. Use a separate circuit for the demister with a switch in the cab, also one for the interior light when you forget to turn it off and it's raining cats and dogs. Splice into the existing cable for your high mount stop light. I'd put the splice back from the plug, somewhere where the cable is supported and you can use that support for your new cable as well.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: Flexiglass Canopy

Postby jstoeckli on Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:46 pm

Thank you so much for the great advice!
jstoeckli

Return to Electrical