Should I buy an MN Triton, advice please

Anything Triton related

Should I buy an MN Triton, advice please

Postby Paulbag on Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:14 pm

Hi all, I am new to this site and I have just been reading a lot about the mn tritons. I’m in the process of purchasing a 2014 my 2015 MN Triton 4x4, it’s only done 65500 km and seems to be in good condition. Since reading some of posts about the problems people have experienced I don’t know if I should buy this Ute or not.

Would you buy a MN Triton.

Cheers Paul
Paulbag

Re: Should I buy an MN Triton, advice please

Postby WUNSIE on Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:04 pm

Even though its only done 65000km in 15 -16 years, whats the hand book say in regards to servicing, has the engine oil been changed based on TIME not distance, because if its been changed on distance, its only had a handefull of changes in its life, also alot of cold short runs , when you remove the oil filler cap does it look like theres a thick layer of Sludge on the underside
WUNSIE

Postby Intruder on Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:35 pm

Like any car, good service history is a must, at the timed intervals as mentioned above, not just based on k’s. At its age should have had timing belt replaced for example. Make sure you can see evidence of the cooling system campaign being completed by Mitsubishi, along with recalls like airbag recall. If you cannot be provided evidence of these things walk away.

Is it stock or modified? If modified by who and whats the quality of the work. Has it been offroad, get under it and have a very look for damage, dings or scrapes.

I have a 2010 MN, 155,000Km’s and can honestly say its never missed a beat mechanically (touch wood). Apart from servicing (and mods) only major cost I’ve had with it is replacing the clutch, but that was primarily caused by regularly reversing our campertrailer up our very steep driveway. Was impressed the original clutch lasted as long as it did to be honest.

They are pretty capable off road too. Good luck.
Yes... I'll have another beer.
Intruder
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Maxiy on Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:50 am

Depends on the price really

I have a 2014 MN triton and have owned it from new. Absolutley bloody love it, and it has never let me down (apart from an injector pump which was a stuffup by the mechanic, which they covered). Taken me all over the place. I have 135k on it now

My brother bought an identical 2014 MN triton, and had the engine replaced at 90k.

So apart from everything that people have mentioned above, which is solid advice in buying any second hand vehicle, unfortunately when buying an MN, it really is a bit of a lucky dip. If you get a solid unit and for the right price, they really are wonderful cars, but you can also get a dud.

With all the engine stuff said, when my brother engine went, the process of getting a replacement was not that difficult, and it did not cost him a thing. There has been reports on this forum of engines with 200k+ being replaced, so you will no means be left high and dry if you are unfortunate enough to get a dud.
Maxiy

Postby twig on Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:00 am

WUNSIE wrote:65000km in 15 -16 years

I think you jumped ahead to 2030 WUNSIE ;)

I have a 2013 MN with 85k on it, no issues at all. Would buy again.
twig

Postby explorer.dave on Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:52 am

Hit and miss with the engine blocks, but, if you read through the posts on the issue you will soon realise that MMA have been excellent in replacing bad motors ( try that with Toyota, Nissan etc and see how you get on).
Apparently the new replacement engines are without the fault.
If it has been serviced correctly then l would go for it.
l love my MN, not concerned if l have one of the bad engines, if it happens (over heating issue) then l will just get on with life and look forward to a new engine replacement.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby colin b on Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:17 am

I have owned an MN Triton for 5 years now and mainly use it for towing my caravan. I have also owned three Magnas. My overall impression of Mitsubishi is that they do not build fantastic vehicles but they are solid, reliable and sensibly priced and their dealer network is excellent.

My only issue has been with overheating the automatic transmission and I have had to fit a scan gauge to watch that as a few gear changes on a hill soon has the oil heating up to the danger mark. I also seriously doubt the claim that it can tow 3 tonnes as it seems to struggle with my 1.8 tonne 'van, even after being retuned.
Try not: Do or do not, there is no "try". (Jedi Master Yoda)
colin b

Postby WUNSIE on Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:24 pm

twig wrote:
WUNSIE wrote:65000km in 15 -16 years

I think you jumped ahead to 2030 WUNSIE ;)

I have a 2013 MN with 85k on it, no issues at all. Would buy again.

Shit sorry fellas, apologies Paulbag, fat fingers on the key pad, please disregard all my ranting about the age in relation to kays :oops:
WUNSIE

Postby Paulbag on Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:08 am

Hi all, I took the chance and bought the Triton, it had a good service history looks like it’s never been off road
only time will tell :D
Paul
Paulbag

Postby colin b on Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:30 am

Good choice :D

The thing which really sold me on the Triton after driving a couple of its rivals was that its handling was a lot less truck like and although it would never keep up with, say, a Corolla on a tight twisty road it is very agile and cruises comfortably on the open road.
colin b

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:25 am

colin b wrote:it would never keep up with, say, a Corolla on a tight twisty road

:o Must be an MN thing. My ML V6 had no problem keeping up with Corollas, either in a straight line or through the twisty bits. The Paj eats Corollas for breakfast and any other 4WD for lunch. :lol:
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby colin b on Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:44 pm

Actually, I enjoy pushing the Triton through corners as that old-fashioned leaf spring suspension reminds me of my first car - a 1956 Customline. With modern highway radials it can corner very quickly so long as you know how to use the throttle which, sadly, seems to be a lost art for many younger drivers.

Still, if the Corolla driver was halfway competent it would not be much of a contest.
colin b

Return to General Discussion