Newbie from Brisbane

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Newbie from Brisbane

Postby MikeBris on Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:34 pm

Hi everybody,

I am Mike from Brisbane; I'm a middle aged guy looking to begin getting into 4 wheel driving/camper trailering and eventually (next year) hit the road around this lovely country of ours.
I know next to nothing about 4 wheel driving but I'm a quick learner. A good friend has recommended the Triton .... my subsequent research certainly shows it to be just what I'm looking for.
I have been searching for a used diesel Triton in the Brisbane region... something like these specs:
Less than $35k
Less than 100k kms
2017 or later
Diesel
Auto

I'm quite confused about the Triton model terminology... i.e. GLX , MQ etc etc and which would suit my intended use (off road towing camper trailer).
Any help understanding this would be really appreciated.

Also... I would love to hear any thoughts concerning which model etc would be suitable for what I want to do.
And modifications, accessories...

Should I avoid buying a Triton that has been used as ute by tradies ?

Thanks guys... it's rather embarrassing being such a newbie and asking all of this.

Regards,
Mike
MikeBris

Re: Newbie from Brisbane

Postby tigger384 on Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:04 pm

Hi Mike

I was in almost exactly the same position as you about 18 months ago, I ended up buying a new Triton GlS and 5 months later a off road camper trailer. Here are my thoughts in hindsight,

a) I bought brand new, the options added were tow bar, soft tub cover, sports bar and nudge bar. If I was doing it all again I probably would not have gone for those options if I could have negotiated a better price but as the vehicle was on runout I think most of it came with it. But the sports bar and soft cover was ditched because I put a canopy on it, the nudge bar is show only recon if I hit a swarm of flies it would bend and the factory tow bar hangs very low reducing the departure angle even more. I would have been better off if I could have saved that money and bought a complete after market replacement tow bar/ rear protection which would have several benefits over the standard one. Selling these bits off is difficult without losing heaps on the transaction.

b) Having the factory rear diff lock is a no brainer, can go after market but almost 3 x the price.

c) 4 wheel driving is not cheap, change one thing and that leads to a host of other changes required usually expensive. So buying a secondhand vehicle that has been loved and cared for which has some of the fruit fitted (properly) all ready can save you heaps, bull bars, canopies etc

d) Standard vehicle is still very capable , driver skill and knowledge counts more than massive wheels and tyres. Consider not just your first years usage but what will you expect to do in the future it costs a LOT of money to change stuff once you put it on.
e) I tow a 1.5 ton camper trailer fuel consumption rises a lot towing I go from 8.5 lphk to 12 lphk and that's just on the highway. Don't get drawn in to the 3.1 towing capacity, its a maximum under prefect driving conditions.
f) I have to used mine as my daily driver and find the Triton excellent in this role, coming from only driving cars very impressed how it drives, its not a car but its way better than the tank like vehicle I thought Utes were.

These are just a few thoughts , happy to answer any questions

Good hunting

Steve
tigger384

Postby MikeBris on Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:28 pm

Thanks Steve,

Great advice here; I really do appreciate it.

The rear diff lock is something I hadn't thought of.... good tip !
I'm favouring the canopy like you.
Yes, I was wondering about the strength of the nudge bar.

You say that factory tow bar is no good for towing a camper trailer... what type of tow bar would you recommend ?

I'm looking for a Triton around 2017 onwards for up to $35k I guess ... it would be nice if it came with some goodies too like bull bar, canopy, tow bar, rear diff lock etc etc

Could you kindly tell me how much you paid for your new Triton.

Regards,
Mike
MikeBris

Postby tigger384 on Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:46 am

Hi Mike

Let me clarify my comments about the factory tow bar, its perfectly good to tow up to the recommended 3.1 ton limit absolutely fit for its purpose. Except it does hang down a fair bit. The Triton has a short wheel base, good for maneuverability but does leave a fairly long over hang aft behind the rear wheels, not so good for departure angles, the factory tow bar makes this worse. Lets say it costed me $1000 to add the tow bar on to the build, in wonderful hindsight I would have been better of getting a rear protection bar/step with a built in tow bar from the likes of TJM for not much more coin. I have done a few trips off road (mainly beach) and haven't had any issues with the standard tow bar, I am new to 4x4 thing too and as I get more knowledge and confident about my skills and the vehicles capabilities I will want to be a little more adventurous in were I go camping , but this ties in with what I was saying in my first post, really think not what you are going to use your vehicle for now but in years to come because a bit of thought now could save you big $$ later on.

I bought my MQ triton GLS in April 2019 and paid $38500 drive away for it. So far have added a Iron man canopy $2600 fitted, Drifa rear drawers $2200 plus lots of little bits here and there probably another $1000 so thats almost $6000 already, Stopped spending since covid but now restrictions are easing and the MOF is opening the purse strings will start with the next batch of upgrades !

Steve
tigger384

Postby MikeBris on Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:20 pm

Thanks Steve,
I appreciate all this.

This weekend one of my mates from work is taking me for a drive in his new Triton... no doubt I'll pick up lots of insights then.
Probably the week after I'll start seriously going to a few car yards and having a look at what they have.

I'll keep you posted on my Triton journey..

Thanks mate,
Cheers,

Mike
MikeBris

Return to Introductions