Cooling System Service Campaign

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby gubbs on Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:12 pm

Hey guys have a look at the ,Has your MN engine been replaced as a result of overheating? thread Ive just posted it may be of some help to you.
gubbs

Postby Triton14 on Fri May 01, 2020 5:24 pm

No but there was a recall a fair while ago on issues to do with the cooling system.

If this wasn't carried out then yeh it could have cooked the motor?
Triton14

Postby Longranger1 on Sun May 03, 2020 12:43 pm

Or was carried out and cooked the motor due to airlocks not bled out correctly...
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun May 03, 2020 8:23 pm

Or the motor cooked cos the engine has a inherent design flaw...
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Longranger1 on Mon May 04, 2020 8:12 pm

I know quite a few n triton owners that are now getting into the 250k km+ range with zero problems. They can't have all been bad.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Mon May 04, 2020 9:51 pm

Longranger1 wrote:I know quite a few n triton owners that are now getting into the 250k km+ range with zero problems. They can't have all been bad.
Yep I think you're right, I've seen quite a few around my area with big kms still going strong on original engines, my neighbors son has a late 2010 model with over 300k kms... has never seen a dealership for servicing, probably why it's still going.

I recently found a mechanic here that used to be a head mechanic at a Mitsubishi dealship... I asked him his opinion on this subject and he said 100% not all these engines are defective, without me saying anything bad about dealships he went onto blaming the inexperienced dealer mechanics and overall incompetence in general to be a major factor in so many cases.
His eyes lit up when I suggested improper bleeding process of the cooling system. Apparently there were quite a few that were cooked in this way.

I'd still never buy or recommend a used MN but the longer my one hangs in there the more I'm starting believe that maybe they're not all defective after all.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue May 05, 2020 6:47 am

Longranger1 wrote:They can't have all been bad.

Correct. What we do know is that two of the five machines doing the machining on the blocks were 'faulty'. The problem is that this work was done before the blocks were given numbers, so it's next to impossible to trace or to predict which engines may be subject to the issue, only that around 40% may be.

Like srb, that percentage 'at risk' is too high for me to recommend an MN but, if one has high kilometres, then it probably isn't one of those affected. However, for those unlucky enough to have one which has the problem, Mitsubishi's response has been commendable with engine replacements still happening almost automatically.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby thebaton on Tue May 05, 2020 11:07 am

Is there an age/warranty/mileage cut-off for engine replacements?
thebaton

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue May 05, 2020 1:55 pm

That's a bit of a grey area, thebaton.

Certainly they've done engine replacements out of warranty but they've also done pro-rata deals. It's a one-by-one situation.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby alpine triton on Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:12 pm

My 2013 MN is going into the dealers on Tuesday, blew half it's coolant out through the bottle and bubbling up into the bottle as well. We replaced the thermostat, radiator cap and coolant as per the post-cooling service campaign specs (was done at the dealers just after it was bought) but is still bubbling up when engine is warm and gets switched off. RACV mechanic seemed to think it was the EGR cooler that was leaking but we'll find out from the dealer next week as me asking them for a quote for a new EGR cooler must have set alarm bells off with the service manager, who rang me back and wanted to see the car asap. 123,000 k's on it and not a single problem with it so far, really hoping the diagnosis is faulty block as the EGR cooler looks at least $1000 to supply and install. Already dropped $450 to cover the radiator cap and thermostat as causes and need a new set of tyres for winter so not really wanting to drop more money into it.

Time will tell....
Adam.
alpine triton

Postby alpine triton on Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:25 am

Getting a new long motor :D
Will probably keep the triton to 300,000 km now.
just have to wait 3 weeks to get it back....
Adam.
alpine triton

Head Gasket or Block

Postby mickeyb on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:53 am

I have an 2014 MY15 with 168000 kms on the clock. Recently noticed the radiator had dropped a small amount of coolant. Vehicle was not overheating. No coolant in the oil. There is no sign of water leaking anywhere. After conversations with a few people who work on these motors, they think head gasket or block but are leaning towards block issue. I was wondering if other people have had a similar issue and what the outcome was. Not sure if I should just flick it or not. Any help or advice appreciated.
mickeyb

Postby alpine triton on Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:49 pm

If you take the car for a decent drive to get it fully warmed up then turn it off can you hear or see any bubbling up into the coolant bottle? That's how mine started, then began blowing the coolant out the overflow on the bottle - temp gauge never moved.....
If you have a reputable dealer nearby you could always get them to diagnose it, you'll probably have to take it to them to get the diagnosis confirmed before they will take action on it anyway.
Adam.
alpine triton

Postby hanleyc on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:29 pm

Late comer to the party...

Son bought a 2014 MY15 triton on the 14th Sept...Oct 2014 build..98xxx km.

3hrs after picking up from dealer had the overheat. Car sent to Mitsubishi and they have agreed today to replace the motor with a "short" motor. It has a 12 month 20000km warranty. Dealer we purchased from has also offered a full refund no questions asked, if we want that instead.

Interested in feedback if we should proceed with this fix or take the refund? Would like to hear others feedback if they have had a short motor replace the original motor with an overheat.

Regards
hanleyc

Postby bigjobs on Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:36 pm

I'd take the refund and run :-)
Seriously though, sounds like they're trying get out of it cheap.
Should be a long motor replacement, Mitsubishi have plenty of stock, so I hear.
bigjobs

Postby hanleyc on Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:04 am

Took the paperwork back in today and they are processing a refund for us. Just didnt want to take the risk as my son will be travelling distances with the car. It may have been fine, but after reading the last 70 pages, the risk outweighs the benefits.

It was interesting that the MMA bulletin stated that cars after a certain date in 2014 had the issue corrected, but that certainly isnt the case.

The information we got from our dealer from the mitsubishi dealer who is doing the repairs...said .... (and this isnt the official word for word documentation) - "Block has edges on cylinder area which affects head gasket"

Anyway we have a refund, so we will start the process over again to buy a new ute for my son. Great information in the forum as well. Ive learnt a lot and I will be doing a lot more investigations before buying again, no matter what brand we buy.
hanleyc

Postby DaveXT on Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:00 pm

See if you can find a 2016 MQ Triton, whole new engine and no other major issues.
DaveXT

Postby hanleyc on Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:05 pm

We are looking for a 2016 MQ but havnt limited our search to only Mitzi. We actually found a MQ just before we bought the MN but couldn’t get to see it before it sold as it was 3 hrs away. It had all the gear, 170000km, full service history and was snapped up very quickly. These 4x4 utes are hard to come by in good condition though.
hanleyc

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:14 pm

DaveXT wrote:See if you can find a 2016 MQ Triton, whole new engine and no other major issues.

Apart from Heads cracking after Poor servicing, Exhaust manifolds cracking due to poor airflow, Jumping out of third gear (manual), Oil leaks from timing cover, Drivers seat trims falling apart at the seams, and water getting under the carpet and corroding the wiring harness to the rear lights.

Quality :twisted:
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby jdtopping on Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:59 pm

Original owner 2010 MN Triton, 169000kms. Starting losing coolant recently, took it to Mitsubishi. It passed the "stress test" however needs a new head gasket, radiator and water pump as they are all leaking coolant. Quote almost sent me into cardiac arrest. I'm not convinced that the cooling system campaign isn't in some way responsible. Super happy it's 6 months and 9000kms out of warranty. Will write to MMAL customer service and plead my case.
jdtopping

Postby littleJohnny on Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:18 pm

I’ve got a problem with the engine getting hot when under load.
Example- accelerate up hills.
I’ve replaced the radiator, now a 2 core. The thermostat and water pump. Thermo fan not clutch.
Yea, it was high 30,s degrees outside, but that shouldn’t matter.
What else should I look at?
littleJohnny

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:39 pm

Give us some details about your ute....
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Longranger1 on Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:25 am

jdtopping wrote:Original owner 2010 MN Triton, 169000kms. Starting losing coolant recently, took it to Mitsubishi. It passed the "stress test" however needs a new head gasket, radiator and water pump as they are all leaking coolant. Quote almost sent me into cardiac arrest. I'm not convinced that the cooling system campaign isn't in some way responsible. Super happy it's 6 months and 9000kms out of warranty. Will write to MMAL customer service and plead my case.

If it passed a stress test yet needs a new head gasket I would seriously reconsider your dealer's advice and get another opinion.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby littleJohnny on Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:50 am

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:Give us some details about your ute....

2007 ML 3.2 diesel. Manual 407,000kmas
The problem has only been happening in the last year or so.
Had a bull bar, lift, 32” tyres for years.
littleJohnny

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:58 am

littlejohnny

How long since you've done a full flush of the cooling system?

Has the turbo and MAP been checked out?
If there's not enough boost, you'd be running rich.

FYI. I run the double sized core, with shroud and viscous fan removed, with a 16" electric fan being the only forced air on my 08ml. The OEM radiator didn't cope but never had any overheating with larger core. 275k on clock now.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components