Warranty Claim- Clutch

Warranty Claim- Clutch

Postby Abigeus on Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:29 pm

Hi All

I have a 2018 MQ GLX+ purchase June 2018 with 38K on the clock.

Tl;Dr Clutch is burnt out, fairly new car, Mitsuibishi won't cover it as warrant hand are claiming wear and tear.

I was out over the long weekend just past driving on some Sandy roads so have had the vehicle in 4H. Wasn't want as in beach.

Every time that I have used the 4wd system it has smelt like the clutch has been burning. So much so that I have had it in to Mitsubishi complaining about it. That being said I could count on one hand the number of times i have used it and on 2 hands the number of times i have taken it off road so far.

Whilst driving I've had the same smell but have ignored it, until I end up with the clutch slipping and unable to change gears all together. I was luckily enough to be able to get into a small town and after letting it cool had no drive whatsoever even when starting the car in first.

Have gotten it towed into the nearest dealership and Mitsuibishi have knocked back warranty in it saying as there's no sign of a manufacturer's defect it is just wear and tear.

Has anyone had any success in taking on these buggers or.any pointers? They've quoted me 4.5K in parts not Labour to replace clutch. I have pictures but no idea on how to add them to the post.
Abigeus

Re: Warranty Claim- Clutch

Postby L200Shogun on Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:50 pm

Some had MQ engagement issues but after 38k km and 2 years I don't like your chances.

Even good quality after market clutches can be 12 months 20k km warranty

a single mass NPC conversion might be cheaper
L200Shogun

Postby DaveXT on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:43 pm

Unfortunately you don't know what the previous owner has done to the car, brakes and clutches are wear items and very few Manufacturers will replace them under warranty.
DaveXT

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:16 am

Unless they find a problem with Dual mass flywheel that could have caused the clutch to fail, like above said, they wont replace. Clutches just dont have manufacturing defects.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby bodia450 on Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:09 am

The problem you have is they just don't design for manuals anymore and so a lot of these vehicles do clutches these days from towing. I have done a clutch on my MN in warranty but didn't bother trying for warranty as I know I have had to thrash the clutch. I have to back my boat around a corner into my drive. My options with the manual gearbox is to use low range but half way around the corner the drive train is so wound up it locks up like the brakes are on. Other option is just to simply slip the clutch... Not sure if they have fixed the ratios on the later models but MN low range reverse is similar speed to other vehicles high range!!!
bodia450

Return to Drive Train Components