Oil Filter Blows off

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Oil Filter Blows off

Postby Shireboy on Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:25 am

So i just changed the oil on my 2014 MN like I've done heaps of times. This time when I started it oil blew out everywhere. I have tracked it down to what seems to be the thread where the oil filter screws on. Its not crossed threaded as every time i screw a new one on it always just rolls on fine. This time no different. I always only seat it and nip it up another quarter turn. The filter did up against the block like usual. I took it back off and the thread looks worn although as i said it still does up. My question is, is that threaded shaft replaceable or is it part of the block. Could it be helicoiled? Thx
Shireboy

Re: Oil Filter Blows off

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:02 am

Is it a genuine filter? I have seen a few aftermarket ones that i suspect had to be overtightened to get them to seal, and being a real pain to get off next time
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Shireboy on Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:27 am

Ok so i just screwed the old filter back on and no leaks. Moral of the story is don't use Sakura filters. Funny thing is when you look at the Sakura filter it seems to be made just as good as the original. All I can think of is the thread on it is slightly to big and the oil pressure is blowing it off over the thread. Thx.
Shireboy

Postby MiteeWidge on Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:02 am

Have often used Sakura filters without any issues. Sakura manufacture filters in Indonesia for the likes of Donaldson Fleetguard and AC Delco with ISO certification. They are a large aftermarket supplier to Japanese truck manufacturers [Hino / Fuso] so I have some doubt that the filter is your issue. There again possible a faulty batch may have got through without their knowledge. Not possible you may have damaged the thread on the inniaitall installation?
MiteeWidge

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:11 am

Never had any issues with Sakura oil and fuel filters.

I've cut a few open and seem well made.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby WUNSIE on Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:18 pm

I had a dodgy Supercheap filter on my little Hilux, bastard kept weeping from around the flange, ILike everything theres always a bad one in the batch
WUNSIE

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:00 am

I used to use Ryco units on other vehicles years ago, however the recent units don't impress me. I looked at the one for our Zuk and there are bulges to retain the O-ring. To me this means that the seal won't seat evenly when done up.

Never had issues with any filters in over 40yrs of servicing my rides. Trick is to clean everything on the engine end. Wipe some clean oil on the thread and O-ring, spin on and do up the 3/4 turn.

Never use tools to tighten.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby WUNSIE on Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:55 pm

RHKTriton wrote:I used to use Ryco units on other vehicles years ago, however the recent units don't impress me. Trick is to clean everything on the engine end. Wipe some clean oil on the thread and O-ring, spin on and do up the 3/4 turn.

Hear where you are coming from ;)
WUNSIE

Postby catchya on Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:21 am

RHKTriton wrote:I used to use Ryco units on other vehicles years ago, however the recent units don't impress me. I looked at the one for our Zuk and there are bulges to retain the O-ring. To me this means that the seal won't seat evenly when done up.

Never had issues with any filters in over 40yrs of servicing my rides. Trick is to clean everything on the engine end. Wipe some clean oil on the thread and O-ring, spin on and do up the 3/4 turn.

I stopped using Ryco filters a few years ago. You MUST use the Ryco socket to fit their engine oil filters and torque to correct tightness otherwise Ryco will never look at paying for an insurance claim if engine fails due to no oil.
Gone back to and will always use OEM filters for fuel and Engine oil
catchya
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Servicing