Tick from motor

Anything Triton related

Tick from motor

Postby Enid_Triton on Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:07 pm

Heard a clicking noise in motor so I had the valves adjusted & intake manifold cleaned on my mn 2.5 (52,000K's)
Four valves needed adjustment, & rockers were OK too.
The mechanic put it back together (all new seals & gaskets) but the ticking is still evident.

The noise only starts when motor is at operating Temp & at idle.It will tick from anywhere between 15 to 30 seconds & then vanishes. Rev it again & let it come back down to idle & the ticking comes back.
You just need to touch the throttle & it goes away.
So the Mechanic completely pulled the motor down again rechecked the valves & rockers but everything was fine. So he reassembled it,,but the ticking came back.
Changed oil from 10w40 to 15w40 but the noise came back
Has plenty of oil pressure, good clean oil & filter & nothing else seems to have a fault. Everything looks fine on the engine scanner too.
There must be something going on to cause this noise, but what?
The mechanic doesn't have a clue what is causing it & he has never heard it before on any vehicle.
Anyone else had this issue?
Enid_Triton

Re: Tick from motor

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:33 pm

Any roughness in the engines idle?

Any oil leaks near the front pulley?

Im just thinking maybe the balance shaft belt may be shredding, They can make a funny sound when they go.
But at 52000 it seems very early.

Can you attach a video/audio clip to your post?
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Enid_Triton on Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:48 pm

Can you attach a video/audio clip to your post?

Will see what I can do.
To answer the other Questions, the engine runs smooth, no shakes or vibrations & no oil leaks anywhere. It is good on fuel & oil too.The only other parts we replaced were the aircon & power steer belts, the gearbox anti-roll mount, & we only did those because we were clutching at straws (process of elimination).

There is one thing that seems strange though, I have had a Ryco Catch can on it for 7 months (about 15,000 - 20,00 k's) & it has not collected one drop of oil or water. The filter inside the CC is moist with oil though.
The oil pressure is good & there are no blockages in the CC hoses. A mate has the same CC fitted to his mn & he is always draining crap out of his.
This is probably purely coincidental, but I first noticed the noise straight after I replaced the inter-cooler & put in aluminum pipes from Forefront Industries. We even checked them for interference & tightness too, but that was unnecessary because the noise is in the motor.
Enid_Triton

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:57 am

Are you the first owner?

Ever put petrol in by mistake?
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Longranger1 on Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:44 am

Cydectin gets rid of ticks on cattle, you never know...
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Enid_Triton on Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:54 am

Nar,, no petrol was put in it. But I think maybe some petrol & a match might be a good idea.

As a last resort I took it to Mitsubishi & typically they couldn't even tell me what is causing the noise.
They have not heard a Triton make this tinny pinging sound before & it gives no errors.

I have taken off both drive belts and ran it for a couple of minutes to eliminate if the noise was coming from any accessory up front but it still makes the noise with the belts off. I took off the timing cover but timing belt, balance shaft belt & belt tensioner are fine and the noise is not coming from inside there.
Its not coming from the valves or the head. And its not coming from the bottom end of the motor. All injectors are fine too.
All I know is that the noise is coming from the front area of the motor, not from the rear or underneath.

So, I have had enough & I give up, I am just going to drive it until whatever is causing the noise breaks.
Enid_Triton

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:11 pm

Just a thought, have you checked the harmonic balancer?

Normally a screechy sound but may be worth checking.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:37 pm

I have heard a fuel pump with an unusual rattle.

If you can record it using your phones microphone and get it on here somehow??? You tube? even file sharing sites, i would like to listen.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby lukeyboy2014 on Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:11 pm

Did you ever find out what cause the noise

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
lukeyboy2014

Postby Enid_Triton on Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:11 pm

lukeyboy2014 wrote:Did you ever find out what cause the noise

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Yes, but it has taken until December 2023 to find the cause. Turns out it was simply caused by the Catch Can.

It had a Ryco Catch Can RC350 fitted & after about 5 years I took it off because it has been pretty much useless and was doing bugger all at catching blow-by oil vapor and immediately the noise went away & it has never come back.
I know that this should have been checked out years ago but unfortunately it never was.
Not by me, Mitsubishi, or the three different mechanics that I have taken it to about the annoying noise. Not one of us even thought twice about the catch can being the cause because the noise was coming from the throttle body area of the motor. The Catch can is (was) on the opposite side.

The RC350 was Ryco's first attempt at making a Catch can & within months of its first release they updated it with the RC351 because the RC350 had an issue with the Pressure release valve sticking which could cause dangerous back pressure. The updated RC351 did away with the pressure release valve altogether.
So, because mine was less than 6 months old I asked Ryco for a new updated one without the pressure issue but Ryco are such a horrible company with almost no after sales service and they refused.

But they told me I could heat & break the glued seal on the top of the RC350 catch can & remove the rubber diaphragm valve & spring and then glue it back together which would make it operate the same as the updated RC351. I did what they suggested but it never seemed to work the same or catch much oil after that.
I may (or may not) try a Provent 200 one of these days & see if it makes the same noise again.
Enid_Triton

Return to General Discussion