changing oil filter

changing oil filter

Postby mitzi1 on Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:26 pm

Hi guys. Is it possible to change oil filter without dropping the oil out or does removing the filter drain the sump. Just had a service and after 2k the oil seems like mud when engine cold. better when warmed up. Thought I might change the filter with out dropping the oil if that's possible. Thought they may have forgotten to change the filter.
Cheers
mitzi1

Re: changing oil filter

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:16 pm

You can just change the filter on its own, you would lose 200-300ml of oil approx. Was it a dealer service? Did they use correct oil?
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby mitzi1 on Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:52 pm

It was a dealer service but a bit of complex stuff. Would have been easy to forget filter. I invoice says Castrol EX Magpro DX 5w-30. Was a clear. typical Castrol oil, very thin as all 5w/30 are. I hate them . This country needs a 40 grade. I have never been guilty of putting a 30 grade oil in anything. Bad enough on a cool, day, but on 35 to 40 deg day it turns to water. You can hear the difference in the engine noise. They have a dealer oil with a descripton close to that but don't know what the EX bit is. They seemed like good blokes there. so I hope they got right. They were doing about 3 jobs at once.
Cheers
mitzi1

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:11 am

If the oil is like mud, wouldn't it be advisable to drop it and give the engine a flush before replacing a filter?

I'd guess that your oil isn't getting fully drained at changes and residual slush is building. This can get worse if the oil is dropped when the engine is cool.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mitzi1 on Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:30 am

Thanks for that mate. Is possible. vehicle was at dealer's all day and oil was dropped later in the day. I'd given it an intermediate drop without changing filter before the service and there was residual left in sump after I dropped it. Could have been two lots of sludge left.
Cheers.
mitzi1

Postby ray-oz on Thu May 05, 2022 2:45 pm

mitzi1 wrote:It was a dealer service but a bit of complex stuff. Would have been easy to forget filter. I invoice says Castrol EX Magpro DX 5w-30. Was a clear. typical Castrol oil, very thin as all 5w/30 are. I hate them . This country needs a 40 grade. I have never been guilty of putting a 30 grade oil in anything. Bad enough on a cool, day, but on 35 to 40 deg day it turns to water. You can hear the difference in the engine noise. They have a dealer oil with a descripton close to that but don't know what the EX bit is. They seemed like good blokes there. so I hope they got right. They were doing about 3 jobs at once.
Cheers

Don't use 40 oil, or DPF will die quicker.

5w-30 or 0w-30 is the recommonded as per service manual, now newer gen will use c5 0w-20 very soon, all these thin oil protects your engine better and gives dpf longer life.
ray-oz

Postby WUNSIE on Thu May 05, 2022 8:18 pm

ray-oz wrote:
Don't use 40 oil, or DPF will die quicker. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oil Weight has nothing to do with DPF Longevity,

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Fri May 06, 2022 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quotes for clarity
WUNSIE

Return to Servicing