MQ tow bar harness patch.

MQ tow bar harness patch.

Postby Chiefster1976 on Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:44 pm

G'day all. New to the forum.. I have an MQ
Tow bar wiring harness from an ML so has the relays for the brake and tail light to patch into main harness. Also has the twin power /neg wire.
It's easy to just run the twin wire to battery and she's all good but I'm fussy and want ti access the main wiring factory loom sockets.
1 Factory loom has 3 wires (yellow, brown/& yellow, blue near on a 3 pin plug N/S shock absorber which runs up under passenger seat to near side kick panel. There is also a single blue wire in the main harness which is an accessory live. (my guess electric brake signal wire.)

2. Looks like there should be a short cable from the 3 pin in kick panel area to a 4 pin plug which has occupied wires pink/ blue /green/ white black stripe.
White black stripe is 12v active.
3. Those wires go to near side headlight which has only the 3 main colours blue/pink/green and missing the white black stripe.

I am looking for the plugs /wiring diagram to see which wires are for what so I can find correct plugs to use the factory harness capability. It's too easy to just run the twin cable from the relay harness straight tho the battery..
Anyone
been through this..?
Mitsubishi seem to have component B and C which may be correct but hey want $350 for a tow bar harness. Lol.
Chiefster1976

Re: MQ tow bar harness patch.

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:17 pm

Why skimp and try to modify an old harness?

Just spend the money, and an hour later and you have a perfect wiring harness that will complement the trailer stability assist (TSA) function on your MQ
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:38 am

Buy the real deal.

I installed the genuine loom on my son's MR and concluded how much better the setup was compared to my ML.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Chiefster1976 on Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:42 am

RHKTriton wrote:Buy the real deal.

I installed the genuine loom on my son's MR and concluded how much better the setup was compared to my ML.

How much was the genuine loom for the MR ? Do you have a link.?

My MQ is the GLX pov pack so I not sure if it would have a trailer anti sway assist at all.
** My aim is to figure out which of these spare plugs I have listed do what function mainly ***

For what I'm using a basic trailer for there is no need to go out and spend $300+ on a genuine harness when most of it I have in place.
My trailer wiring world fine if I run the. Pos and neg straight to the battery my investigations is try and find the function/wires/ plugs of the

* White plug at rear of chassis
* Where the blue accessories wire goes into fuse box .
* 4 pin/3 wires plug near rear shock which runs to near side kick panel
* N/S Headlight GREY plug
Chiefster1976

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:23 am

All Tritons have TSA

White plug is for rear view camera

4 pin plug is power for the brake relays on the genuine harness

And battery feed connects to the grey plug for the 4 pin at the rear
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:34 am

Hi, don't have a figure for loom, etc, he'd got towbar and look thrown into the deal.

So it seems the new kits provide the power connecting direct to the battery ( bypassing all that mess with kick panels and patch leads).

Then the loom at the rear is plug and play, providing the isolating relays, etc.

The problem with most of the new vehicles is the electrickery (electronics) and potential to cause damage or malfunction. So the ole days of splicing into rear lighting circuits are no longer a good idea. Then, if you do buzz out the signals at the sockets at the back, using the wrong spec of relays could cause problems.

Just had a look, eBay has a loom for $120 to suit ML to MQ. There's another kit from All four X 4 spares for under $250. So, considering material costs, is it worth farting around?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Electrical