Intermittently no audio from head unit

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Intermittently no audio from head unit

Postby sidogg on Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:40 pm

Hey all, got a 2016 MQ triton and recently swapped out the factory speakers. Now I find that I have no audio but not all times, seems it has no rhyme or reason as to why it happens. I can have audio then park it up for the night only to find I have nothing in the morning or vice versa. If I have no audio turning off the triton and back on again doesn't help.
I've looked at the speaker connections and they appear to be firmly in place. Doesn't look to be any signs of terminals shorting to the chassis either.

If it matters I still have the stock head unit.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
sidogg

Re: Intermittently no audio from head unit

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:03 pm

Is the radio lit up when the audio disappears?

Only thing I can suggest is check the polarity on the speakers. If they've got a cross over circuit on them involving an electrolytic capacitor, which is polarity conscious, they may load up the audio outputs of the radio.

I would avoid turning on the radio until you've sorted things or cause possible damage.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sidogg on Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:12 am

Hey, thanks for the reply.
Yes, the head unit display shows and all appears to be normal.

Just went through all the speakers and checked polarity against the wiring diagram and all was correct.
Disconnected the front passenger door speaker and the audio came back so made some changes to each speaker. I'll give it a few days to see if I don't lose audio and will post back.

Cheers!
sidogg

Postby WUNSIE on Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:06 pm

The speaker terminals are not earthing out on the door frame, especially if they are deeper or larger in diameter :?:
WUNSIE

Postby sidogg on Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:20 pm

Here's an update/tips and pitfalls for any other amateur DIYer on triton speaker replacement.

1. Don't waste your money on the aftermarket speaker spacers. I found that they are nowhere near as deep as the originals and they cause your new speaker terminals to pretty much touch the door frame. I used the original spacers and connectors by ripping out the old speaker, soldering a connection between the new speaker terminals and the spacer terminals.

2. Buy some of that sticky-backed foam strip used to fill gaps around doors etc. This goes around the original spacer once the new speakers are installed. Will stop nasty vibration between the spacers and door trim. The shit I used cost about $5 for 2 metres worth.

3. Tweeters... I ended up keeping the original tweeters. Aftermarket tweeters don't fit very nicely behind the original tweeter bracket. Plus you have to run a wire back to your new speakers which make things a bit messier and harder to remove the door trim in future because you can't just unplug the tweeter. Perhaps you could look into putting new tweeters on an easy connector but new tweeters didn't impress me anyway.

4. My new speakers sounded tinnier and flatter than the originals... The head unit needs an upgrade if you are just swapping out speakers. That will be my next project.

5. Put heat shrink on every connection... you will be surprised how a terminal connection that appears 10mm or more from a door frame can short after hitting speed bumps etc. When it shorts the head unit will appear to seem normal but you will get no sound intermittently.

6. Sound-deadening... May as well do this if your door trims are off... I had no experience with deadening and it was a piece of piss. Doors now close with a solid thud and it's made things quieter on the road.

7. Check the speaker wiring diagrams found on this site... get your speaker wire colours correct the first time around.

8. If you don't have a good soldering iron for the job get a "Dremel versatip 2000" This is what I bought for this and other future projects. It's an awesome solder.

That's my two cents worth... I'm no expert so like always, do your research.
sidogg

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:37 am

Only done the drivers door so far (about four years ago. Haha) and also found using the OEM speaker housing as the mount was best way to go.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to General Discussion