2015 GLXR - Seized engine

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

2015 GLXR - Seized engine

Postby lisa_lu on Wed May 25, 2022 3:21 pm

Hi all,

Newbie here, hopefully following the rules correctly.. :)

I have a 2015 Triton GLXR Turbo Diesel (done 118,000km) that I purchased in 2019 from a dealer. I have had it regularly serviced through authorised mitsubishi mechanics since purchasing, 5-year warranty expired in 2020, my last service was in November 2021.

I was driving on the weekend and when accelerating between 0-60km/hr it was making a not-very-loud banging noise, so I started to head back home. I pulled up at the traffic lights and the car just stopped, it wouldn't start again, there were no warning lights prior to this and then when trying to turn it on they all lit up.

A helpful guy managed to help push it out of the road (such a joy with a sleeping toddler and being pregnant!) and I called for a tow. Towie arrived and when he turned it on it had the fuel filter light on. Mechanic checked it on a Monday and said he can't get it to start and it seems like the engine has seized. Mechanic said he has done some investigation and fuel looks fine and same with oil, so he has no idea what has caused it. Has told me there's an engine over east he can get for $7k and roughly another $5-7k to install it. I feel like he's pushing me to do this, but that may be as more investigation is more cost for me..?

I'm just wondering if I should tow it to another mechanic for a second opinion? Seems odd to me that a well-serviced engine would just die without any warning and it also being so young, I would've thought a $26k car would get more out of it. I'm not sure why an engine would just seize? To be clear, I don't off-road, mainly drive my sleeping toddler around and occasionally drive it to work, so no abnormal or high impact driving.

I've looked into my rights, seems like I might have some through Australian Consumer Law against the dealer, as a major failure, which I might look at but first would need to determine what the issue is.

Can anyone shed some light or give opinions on what you would do in this scenario? I'm at a loss and devastated that the car has just failed. :(

Thank you,
Lisa
lisa_lu

Re: 2015 GLXR - Seized engine

Postby BlueTriton59 on Wed May 25, 2022 5:56 pm

If you are even thinking about pursuing the statutory warranty issue, then in my opinion, you need to get it to a Mitsubishi dealer for a complete inspection and diagnosis before doing anything further.

They are 100% going to want to inspect it for themselves before agreeing to a replacement, and you may even find that you don’t need to press the stat warranty button before they make you an appropriate offer re repairs.

That’s what I would do, without any question, straight to the nearest or (if you have choices) best Mitsubishi dealer.
BlueTriton59

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed May 25, 2022 6:13 pm

Agree. Take it to a Mitsubishi dealer and get them to diagnose. From that point you will have some idea of what your options are.

$5-7K to remove and install? Ridiculous!
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed May 25, 2022 6:29 pm

A new long motor is 7700 +GST plus fitting.

Agree with the others, mitsubishi must inspect before stripping it down. They will not be interested if its in parts
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby ag9111 on Sun May 29, 2022 8:28 am

As the new car warranty has expired, mitsubishi will probably want you to pay for the inspection.
Usual fee is $1000
This fee will be credited against any repair costs that you may incur.
If MMAL agree to repair your engine for free, then you won't be charged.

My experience anyway
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Mon May 30, 2022 6:35 pm

X3 go to a dealer, but different one to the one you've been using.

Sounds like oil blockage or pump failure.

Has the oil filter actually been changed at previous services?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kevin on Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:42 am

lisa_lu

If you mention your location perhaps members here can offer suggestions as to where to take it ;)
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/
kevin

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:42 am

kevin wrote:lisa_lu

If you mention your location perhaps members here can offer suggestions as to where to take it ;)

Agree 100% but how hard is it to get people to do something so simple that can help them so much? Anyway he/she/it/they already gave you the clue:

lisa_lu wrote:Has told me there's an engine over east he can get for $7k

Confirmed Perth IP address.

And given that this member's last visit was on 26/5/22 we probably have yet another one hit wonder.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby kevin on Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:53 pm

NowForThe5th wrote: we probably have yet another one hit wonder.

Yes, get lots of those on the forums I administer as well ;)
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/
kevin

Postby lisa_lu on Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:33 pm

So hasty folks! I've been speaking with a lawyer and the mechanic (all while finishing study and full-time work before maternity leave :? )

Mechanic has confirmed it was an oil pump failure. Mitsubishi said they will absolutely not have a bar of it.

Spoke to a lawyer and I am filing a claim with the magistrates court. It seems I don't have any course of action with Mitsubishi as the car was not bought directly from them, the dealer is a second-hand car dealer, and this comes under Australian Consumer Law (not statutory warranties).

I am in Perth but now that I have the problem confirmed as an oil pump failure, I don't think there's much I can do, apart from the above. Does $11k sound about right for a new engine including install?

Thanks,
Lisa
lisa_lu

Return to Fuel Systems