Super select jumping out of gear

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Super select jumping out of gear

Postby RockoWallaby on Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:24 am

NowForThe5th wrote:It's a known problem and dealers have a fix for it, replacing a plastic piece under the gearshift, IIRC.

Hi mate. Long time... ;)

Having a sort of similar issue now, but a little odd. MN Auto Super Select.
Few weeks ago, was turning in driveway in mud, AWD engaged, and heard a loud bang, it popped out of 4x4 and revved loudly without power. Front diff didn't engage.

Car still functions normally in 2WD.

Thought might have been actuator system, so replaced front diff solenoids, actuator and hoses and...didn't fix crap ;)

So, thought something in driveline blown, but can engage 4x4 in Hi and Low. WOrks apparently normally in this.

But pushing it from 2WD to AWD I get nothging. 4x4 not engaging, no power, engine revs out. SO, front diff not engaging.

You mention a plastic piece needing replacing. Is this in the transfer case lever? In an auto? Beneath the 4x4 selector lever?

Would you mind elaborating a bit on exactly what needed doing, and how it was fixed? Like above, I don't want to go to a dealer, and want to either fix myself, or give my mechanic more info to try and locate the issue.

Thanks.
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:50 am

RockoWallaby wrote:Hi mate. Long time...

Yeah, long time. Welcome back. Funny thing is I was at a gathering of a few old members here recently and we were talking about you. Nice things...

There's a plastic piece on the bottom of the shift lever that breaks and then you can't select (usually) 4H. Never happened to mine because I had Easy Select but saw it happen in Bad Kitty's and then had it happen while I was driving her car, too. Scary when you're heading down a steep slope and suddenly have no drive at all. :o

I'm fairly sure that the plastic piece is replaceable but some have reported that they've had to replace the whole shift lever. More info in this thread. Also this one.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RockoWallaby on Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:04 pm

Naah, couldn't have been talking about me. I'm an arsehole ;)
Thanks for the reply, mate. This is really peeving me off.

The 4x4 shift lever is the one you're talking about?
Thanks for those links and that info. I'll try and get to it tomorrow and see if it's this bush.
Rather not get a mechanic if not needed.
Cheers
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components