Stalling/ fuel issue?

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Stalling/ fuel issue?

Postby Carl71 on Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:00 am

I'm having an issue with my fuel system.
Is a 2008 3.2 triton auto.

So few months ago I had this issue and it disappeared and has now came back twice as bad.

At idle, or idling speeds. Ute dies and restarts normally, if I don't rev it will die again. On cold starts it will occasionally sputter around 500rpm and pressing accelerator won't change revs. When it does do this I can prime the primer bulb and will go back to normal for a few seconds before sputtering/ dying again.

There was a leak on a injector line which I reseat and appears to be fine now but no fix.

Has a new filter, I have fitted a non return valve just after the tank and new scv which also hasnt fixed issue.

Any help appreciated thanks
Carl71

Re: Stalling/ fuel issue?

Postby WUNSIE on Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:30 pm

Obviously sucking air, check and double check o-ring on fuel filter housing is not pinched
WUNSIE

Postby Carl71 on Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:09 pm

WUNSIE wrote:Obviously sucking air, check and double check o-ring on fuel filter housing is not pinched

I refitted fuel filter, then replaced filter no luck, I've also put a second non return valve just after fuel filter, so I assume issue is further down line, I can't see any leakage around injector pump but can't get a closer look without really starting to pull things apart.
I've checked and refitted lines from rail to injectors and just can't see anything causing issue
Carl71

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:28 pm

Have you hooked up an analyser to check for alarms such as rail pressure?

Is the SCV actually getting modulated?

EGR stuck open?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Carl71 on Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:34 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Have you hooked up an analyser to check for alarms such as rail pressure?

Is the SCV actually getting modulated?

EGR stuck open?

No codes - rail pressure is fine then drops off and stalls,
unsure with scv however is less than 6 months old
Egr is blanked
Carl71

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:16 am

From that it seems the fuel pump can meet pressure demand. It then seems it can't get a supply of fuel up to it.
I would get rid of the non return valves, would only increase work for fuel pump.

I think your issue may still be SCV or air leak related. I've double clamped my fuel lines on filter.

From here on I'd be checking that fuel can flow freely from tank and check the cabling between the ECU and SCV.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Carl71 on Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:29 am

RHKTriton wrote:From that it seems the fuel pump can meet pressure demand. It then seems it can't get a supply of fuel up to it.
I would get rid of the non return valves, would only increase work for fuel pump.

I think your issue may still be SCV or air leak related. I've double clamped my fuel lines on filter.

From here on I'd be checking that fuel can flow freely from tank and check the cabling between the ECU and SCV.

I removed sxv and did the "performance" mod didn't have issue for a few days then refilled ute and problem came back but not as bad, I blew out the fuel cap but seems to be working, the fuel gauge also doesn't seem to want to go to full either, hat would cause this?
Carl71

Return to Fuel Systems