Engine fault light - serious?

Anything Triton related

Engine fault light - serious?

Postby brianh on Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:42 pm

Hi, I have just re-joined the Newtriton site after my previous membership seems to have shut down. I am not too computer savvy and I had some difficulty finding a site to write this note so please bare with me. I am in Baldivis WA. I have a ML dual cab 3.2L Diesel. Built in 2008 and purchased new in 2009. It has 220000 km on the clock. It runs well and doesn't use any oil between changes. It gets serviced every 10000km and use synthetic oil. The only problem with it is the engine fault light is on. The RAC came and re-set it three times over about 18 months but now I just leave it on. Also, 1st and 2nd gears are a bit sticky when cold. My dilemma is do I update now or keep driving. I am not ready to update just yet so am looking at " how many Km can I reasonably expect to get out of the Triton"? I am hoping that some of the members can give me an idea of the kms they have achieved. The tappets have been checked and adjusted twice in the first 100000+ km.
Thanks brianh
brianh

Re: Engine fault light - serious?

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:39 am

Welcome to NewTriton.net, Brian.

I've created a new thread here for your post. We do try to keep things organised here - it makes finding information much easier.

When you get an engine fault light there is a code that is registered in the computer. That code gives important information about the location of the fault and enables fixing the problem to proceed much quicker and easier.

So, first thing you need to do is find out what those codes are. They'll be recorded in the ECU and either the RAC or a mechanic with a scan tool, can extract them. If they point to something that is repairable or fixable then you should do whatever is indicated then hopefully, it won't recur. If you can get the codes then post them up here so that members with similar experiences can respond.

Generally speaking an '08 ML with only 220,000 kilometres would be considered low mileage and you clearly service it regularly. The 3.2 4M41 engine is well known for a very long lifespan. There are members here with over 350,000km and plenty of Pajero owners, with the same engine, who have achieved over 500,000km. I've read of one owner who's well over 1 million and still going strong.

Sticky 1st and 2nd when cold is not unusual with that gearbox. I had it in mine and didn't worry too much. However, a change of oil can often help.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby brianh on Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:31 pm

To Now For The 5th.

Thank you for sharing the information for me. It is much appreciated.

I will now probably work on keeping the Triton for a couple more years. I will also follow up the fault light problem.

Thanks again.
brianh

Postby brianh on Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:01 pm

Hi NowForthe5th.

I have sent two responses re the codes etc. Each time I send the responses, once by clicking the Preview button and once selecting Submit they just disappear.

I am obviously doing some thing wrong. The only thing I have noticed is the little round button thing, on the left hand side, has a star displayed on it where most of the others do not. I was hoping maybe the star could be the problem.
brianh

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:31 am

Sorry mate, I'm a little confused. Are your "responses" posts here at NewTriton and you're trying to upload pictures?

If so, you'll need to host the pictures at imgHOSTR (link at bottom of page) and then link those pictures in your post. There's a post in the Forum Directory with more detailed instructions.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby brianh on Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:21 pm

Hi,
I will keep this response short and if it goes OK I will send the second half.

The RAC man called again and reset the code and the light went out. The light came on after a few days and has been on since. His TOPDON scan tool result is listed below.

Inspection Result
MPI/GDI/Diesel 3 problems exist
1. P2413 EGR System
2. U1102 ASC CAN Timeout/Not Equipped
3. U1101 T/M CAN Timeout/Not Equipped
The following systems are OK:
1. ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System)
2. SRS-Air Bag
brianh

Postby brianh on Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:57 pm

Second edition.
Some months ago the gearbox developed a strange noise. With the foot on the clutch the noise stopped. With foot off the clutch it made the noise. The noise was only audible when idling with no other wind or road noise drowning it out. As the ute was staying local for a while I didn't do anything about it at the time. I assumed it was most likely to be a bearing on the input shaft. It never got any louder.

A question I have is; Are there any sensors on the gearbox that could pick up any noise, heat, vibration etc that could cause a fault to be displayed.

The gearbox has now had a complete rebuild and a new clutch.

Thanks for your assistance.
brianh

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:57 am

You have a faulty EGR valve. The other codes are because the computer is looking for ECU's that control the electric rear screen, and other things you car does not have.

There are no sensors on the manual transmission that can give info to cause fault codes
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby brianh on Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:17 pm

Thanks DibbyDibbyDJ

Installed a new EGR valve but the light came on again after a couple of days. I guess I will have to find someone local to have a look at it. Thanks again.
brianh

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:56 pm

Did you erase the stored fault codes and do an SQL "small quantity injection Learn"?
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby brianh on Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:58 pm

Engine light update.
I have now had a diagnostic report done by Supercheap Autos. The result appears to be the same as RAC which would be expected. I did question him about a SQL reading but he didn't react.

The readout was as follows; MPI / GDI / Diesel
ID STATUS DESCRIPTION
P2413 Active DTC EGR System
U1102 Active DTC ASC CAN Timeout/Not equipped
U1101 Active DTC T/M CAN Timeout/Not equipped
ETACS
ID STATUS DESCRIPTION
U1110 Active DTC A/C CAN Timeout/Not equipped
U1101 Active DTC T/M CAN Timeout/Not equipped

The report said; (This is typically an electrical wiring connection issue at one of the controllers being monitored by the manufacturer)
It then explains what may cause such things to happen. The last paragraph suggests; (May need to disconnect both battery cables and touch them together for 15 seconds. Reattach cables, positive first, then negative and see if a soft reset helps.)

As I have dual batteries with hot wires coming from them for electric brakes, caravan power, fridge power to the canopy etc I will research the procedure before I do that. Apparently this gets rid of any residual power built up in the battery cables. I will check as many of the plugs as I can get to when I am in the right mood. In the mean time the Triton is still running fine with the light on.
brianh

Postby Longranger1 on Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:38 pm

I would be checking out the egr valve. It may be sticking and needs a clean out (a manifold clean may be beneficial given the vehicle's age, too).

The other codes are mostly irrelevant to your Triton model.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Return to General Discussion