Diagnosing Blinking ABS Error Codes (MK Triton)

Diagnosing Blinking ABS Error Codes (MK Triton)

Postby navieko on Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:52 pm

Hi there -- my 2005 GLX-R 2.8L is still running nicely, though thought I'd do the self-diagnosis check for error codes (just as a precaution) by shorting the ODB2 connector pins 1 & 4.

The process seemed to work well, after shorting the pins and putting the key into the on position, the ABS light begins blinking -- giving a me a few different codes.

Now I'm pretty certain all these codes are in relation to me having bypassed the 4WD actuator + cutting the wiring going from the front diff sensor to ECU -- as the ABS light does come on whenever I'm in 4WD (which I'm used to and can give live with).

However just wanted to be certain that's all they are. I took a video of the blinking codes in hopes others here who are familiar with them could offer confirmation. Assuming I'm correct, I'm getting: 21, 22, 24, 25 and 26.

Here's the video:
https://youtu.be/ZCqykVrkSI0
(The codes cycle back to the first at around 1:05 minutes)

Problem is I can't find a definitive definition of these error codes for MK Tritons and specifically relevant to 4M40/2.8L.

Any help would be much appreciated!
navieko

Re: Diagnosing Blinking ABS Error Codes (MK Triton)

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:04 pm

Try these:

INSPECTION TROUBLE CODES

Code No Diagnosis item
11Accelerator pedal position sensor
12*Boost pressure sensor system
13Barometric pressure sensor (ECU Built in) system
14Fuel temperature sensor
15Engine coolant temperature sensor
16Boost air temperature sensor
17Vehicle speed sensor system
18Pump speed sensor system
21Crank angle sensor system
23Idle switch (accelerator pedal position sensor built in )
25*Timer piston position sensor system
26*Control sleeve position sensor system
27Accelerator pedal position sensor (sub) system
41*Main throttle solenoid valve system
43Timing control valve system
46Injection correction ROM system
48*GE actuator (in the middle of control sleeve position sensor inoperative) system
49*Over boost (variable geometry control pressure system malfunction) <4WD>
51EGR valve position sensor system
52Variable geometry control pressure system
54Immobilizer system

If the above-mentioned diagnosis codes code number with the asterisk can be displayed along with another code number in the parentheses simultaneously check the other code number before replacing the ECU (That's what the service info says!)

12 (41, 49), 26 (48), 25 (43), 41 (12, 49), 48 (26), 49 (12, 41)

ABS Brake system

11Front right wheel speed sensor
12Front left wheel speed sensor
13Rear right wheel speed sensor
14Rear left wheel speed sensor11-14 Open or short circuit
15Wheel speed sensor Abnormal output signal
16Power supply system
21Front right wheel speed sensor
22Front left wheel speed sensor
23Rear right wheel speed sensor
24Rear left wheel speed sensor21-24 Abnormal
25Free wheel engage switch
264WD position detection switch
27Rear differential lock detection switch
32G Sensor detection system
33Stop lamp switch system
41Front right solenoid valve
42Front left solenoid valve
43Rear solenoid valve
51Valve driver
53Motor driver
63ABS ECU
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby navieko on Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:39 pm

Thanks a ton mate, I think the ABS codes are what I'm after:

21 - Front right wheel speed sensor
22 - Front left wheel speed sensor
24 - Rear left wheel speed sensor
25 - Free wheel engage switch
26 - 4WD position detection switch

Which I believe confirms my suspicions that those are just a result of the mods I did to bypass the 4WD actuator, though will look into them a bit more to be certain.

Also would I be correct in assuming, if there were any other DTC codes unrelated to the ABS -- it'd be the check engine light that blinks to give me the codes, and not the ABS light?

Cheers.
navieko

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:36 pm

navieko wrote:would I be correct in assuming, if there were any other DTC codes unrelated to the ABS -- it'd be the check engine light that blinks to give me the codes, and not the ABS light?

I understand so, although it's been 15 years since I had an MK and for the 3 years I owned it I never had a single fault code, even after giving the engine a drink of water and bending con rods and various other things. Tougher than a tank, that thing was, with similar performance and about as comfortable.

What I don't understand is how disconnecting or bypassing the 4WD actuator could have any effect on the ABS, let alone result in ABS fault codes. Does the ABS actually work? What did you actually do to the actuator wiring to "bypass" it? And why?
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby navieko on Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:31 pm

When I purchased the vehicle (a few years back) it wasn't able to engage 4WD. Did a bit of reading up on the issue and came to realise there were quite a few potential issues relating to the 4WD actuator, solenoids, switches, vacuum hoses, etc. I did eventually pinpoint the main issue being faulty solenoid which I replaced, but I did read comments from a lot of people who'd had issues with one or more of these failing on a re-occurring basis, and losing 4WD sometimes while out bush, giving all sorts of grief trying to diagnose & fix.

So I'd made the decision to make it a little bit more simple/reliable by installing Aisin free wheeling hubs and unplugged the wiring from the yellow marked solenoid connecting to the actuator -- which keeps the actuator engaged in 4WD mode while car is running. So at that point it's just a matter of locking hubs on each wheel before engaging 4WD -- and no more worries about whether or not the actuator is properly engaged or not. Also added bonus of less wear/tear on the CVs when in 2H.

Only issue is the 4WD and ABS lights were constantly blinking even while in 2H -- so easiest fix was just to cut the wires coming from the sensor/switch on the front diff, which I believe is responsible for detecting if 4WD is properly engaged via the actuator. So now in 2H no 4WD or ABS lights -- just when in 4H/4L they blink (not solid) -- however 4WD works fine.

As for thinking the actuator bypass mod is resulting in those ABS error codes -- truthfully that was just a lazy guess on my part which could well be dead wrong. I just made the assumption due to the fact that the ABS light was flashing on/off (along with the 4WD light) after disconnecting the solenoid linked to the actuator -- and then with cutting the front diff switch wiring -- I figured they could have had something to do with the linking up of the wheel speed sensors as well as the free wheel engage switch and 4WD position detection switch.

To be honest I don't even know if the ABS is working correctly or not as it's never really been put to the test, and my previous vehicles didn't have ABS for me to know the difference. However when starting the car the ABS light comes on briefly and then disappears -- which I'd thought meant no issues with ABS detected. But of course doing the diagnostic by shorting the pins does bring up the ABS error codes after all, so now not so sure.

I'll definitely do a bit more research on how the ABS is supposed to work and perhaps check out each of those wheel speed sensors to test if they are actually defective.
navieko

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:19 am

Interesting. I didn't know that it was possible to put free wheeling hubs on an MK - thought it was the same as the ML and Pajeros. MJ had them though IIRC.

Give the ABS the "panic stop" test on a gravel road. I'd be fairly sure that the ABS wiring and that for the 4WD actuator are not inter-connected, so may point to some problems there.

Let us know how you go.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:48 am

There may be interaction between the free wheeling and abs wiring. On my ml, the abs seems totally disengaged while in all wheel drive. Makes sense when all wheels are loosely locked together.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Electrical