How cold is your Air Con

How cold is your Air Con

Postby Eelesy on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:55 pm

for about 18 months now my air con has been gettin less and less cold. actually, cold isnt even what i would classify it as now.

Ive brought it up with the dealer twice now on my last services and their response is always the same, we checked it and it seemed ok.

Before i go charging in to the dealers to blast em and risk looking like a drongo. would it be possible for someone maybe put a thermometer in front of the vent and post results. inside temp, out side temp. which vent and what vents were open, and what setting it was on. (preferably Perth so results would be similar

Its not real urgent, everyone that gets in my car agrees that its not that cold.

i just need to know im not goin crazy
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Re: How cold is your Air Con

Postby Racer on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:03 pm

Mine is not the coldest upfront but after a little bit it does the job. I wouldn't say in comparo to all the other cars I have owned it is the worse...I don't have a thermo mate..
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby boycee on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:36 pm

Mine didn't seem that cold a while ago but now it would freeze the balls of a brass monkey. :?

At my 1500km free service they wanted to slug me to do a full check and upgrade, Itold them politely that its a new car and if that needs to be done you will pay. :x

I have a thermo so will check it out for you. 8-) (not sure that is the right smiley.) :lol:
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby boycee on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:44 pm

Right o.

29 degrees in the garage 30 in the car.

All vents open set to head only
fan speed 2
recirc

the reading i got was 14 degrees coming out of the vents in the middle. :?

Hope this helps.
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:28 pm

That's good Boycee.

My AC is shite as well - has been from day one. I'll have to mention it at the 30K service.

Rule of thumb Saurus is 10-15 degrees temp difference over the coil. That is air on (air temp inside the car) minus air off your vents should be 10-15 degrees.

If it is getting 10 degrees, they may well be able to claim it is acceptable :roll: even if others are getting 15. Then it will be a matter of diplomacy :lol:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:45 pm

i reckon the A/C in my MK is better than the ML. when you consider they dont have very much volume to cool they are pretty average.

i have a conspiracy theory that the 'rear privacy glass' has nothing to do with privacy....and everything to do with 'how do we fix the shit A/C?" raised by Mits engineers a few weeks before the car was first shipped. :o :?

Nice work Boycee i will try as well, however can i ask a question....if on recirc it may not be as good a benchmark as it is dependant on how long the car has been in recirc and the internal temps.

we may be better doing this test on fresh...seeing as we are stating outside air temps anyway. ok the temps may not be as cold but it will give us a consistent temp drop. thoughts.... :?:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby grox on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:52 pm

34 in car air con same as above ie on 2 recirc middle vent . Air coming out of middle vent 21 deg . Never been impressed with air con you should be able to get pert nipples through your singlet . Anyway thats what I explained to counter staff guy when he tried to tell me how brilliant it was working.
grox

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:53 pm

f#%king freezing 8-) 8-)
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby Homer on Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:02 pm

Snowy, introducing fresh will just muck with the coil performance and measurement by changing the return air and adding in ambient from outside - which could be Canberra or Cairns.

Stick to 10-15 degrees less than the air inside the vehicle (not after sitting in the sun with windows up all day). In a garage would be good.

That is how refrigeration coil performance is measured - air on (ambient temp where the evaperator coil is - that is the air temp inside the vehicle) less air off (the temp of the cold air blowing out your vent) = TD across coil.
Should be 10-15 depending on design. If someone is measuring this - like Boycee did and getting 15, then 15 degrees is the benchmark for coil performance.

This gives AC performance and then it is a matter of working out why it isn't performing - blocked evap, evap fan probs, low gas charge etc etc.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:45 pm

grox wrote:34 in car air con same as above ie on 2 recirc middle vent . Air coming out of middle vent 21 deg . Never been impressed with air con you should be able to get pert nipples through your singlet . Anyway thats what I explained to counter staff guy when he tried to tell me how brilliant it was working.

:lol: :lol: So a "Grox" walked up to the counter and said "your air con is shit...feel my nipples"

And they didn't want a bar of it :?:

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby boycee on Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:03 pm

classic homer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

can see it now. is grox like grug.? :lol: :lol:
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny23 on Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:00 pm

Arctic! :D But 10K dearer apparently! :(
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass, all four essential food groups:
alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

Quinny's Buildup
Quinny's CarPC
Quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny23

Postby rick on Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:00 pm

mine has all of a sudded gone shite as well!!!! funny you brouht that up jason,mine has climate and if i put it on auto the fan is on like 2 setting,i have to put it on manual and crank the fan to full to get anything like cool.
i think im a lesbian trapped in a mans body!!!
rick

Postby Eelesy on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:06 pm

boycee wrote:Right o.

29 degrees in the garage 30 in the car.

All vents open set to head only
fan speed 2
recirc

the reading i got was 14 degrees coming out of the vents in the middle. :?

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that Boycee. I'll go and check mine and compare
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby Tritium on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:43 pm

Mine is crap compared to the Rodeo I used to have. It used to pull down to 4 deg in next to no time. Drop the fan to 1 and open it to fresh. Remember the air volume in the dual cab isn't very high. The rear windows are tinted, in my case the back window is shaded by my canopy. You need to be moving with some reasonable revs for it to show any sign of cooling. Not overly impressed. Maybe the intercooler reduces performance?
Such is Life.
Tritium

Postby ratstriton on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:44 pm

I'm glad it's not just me thinking the aircon is shit, :cry: my mk triton and my old vc comodore shit's all over the ml's aircon.
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby grox on Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:27 pm

Homer you are dead wrong the counter staff guy did want a bar of it and we both sat in the cab and compared nipple height . He used a spark plug feeler guage whilst I chose a ruler. ;)
grox

Postby mad992 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:12 pm

grox your the MAN
mad992

Postby Blue on Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:23 pm

My MK used to measure 3ºC with the thermometer sitting on the edge of the centre vent, full fan on recirc - the ML is 11ºC at the same spot...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jgoosen on Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:20 am

The the Triton's air con is rated @ 5400Watt that about +-18500BTU :mrgreen: In theory it should be able to get your nipples real hard quick :mrgreen:

I will give my aircon a nipple rating of 3.5 out of 5 :mrgreen:
jgoosen

Postby subi_man on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:36 am

My aircon is absolute shite at the moment. It's been re-gassed and re-sealed once in its life, still isn't overly cold and now when the engine is idling, it cuts in and out constantly on about a 4sec cycle :? In addition one of the pipes from the receiver/drier vibrates badly, which reverberates through the whole car :evil:

Gonna need some cold air this week too, forecast is for 36 degrees here Wed, and 37 on Thurs :roll:
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:10 am

grox wrote:Homer you are dead wrong the counter staff guy did want a bar of it and we both sat in the cab and compared nipple height . He used a spark plug feeler guage whilst I chose a ruler. ;)

:lol:
I stand corrected. What number Oxford Street is that dealer ;)

On a serious note, did they make a repair or "characteristic of the car"?

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby grox on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:23 am

:D I knew you would think that . :lol: :lol: The counter guy did mention those magic" characteristic of the car " words hence my reply . The dealer is at 54 b oxford st make sure you use the back door entrance and come equiped with some 90w lube if you dont want it to end in tears. Seriously ther air con does not work they know it and Im not sure even if they carry the equipment necessary to check it / fix it .
grox

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:58 am

Gee all this nipple talk is going to have some guys going off to their "little" garages!

I've also noticed that the AC is a little "lacking" in performance - cab volume is the smallest of any vehicle I've had. My ML is an 08 build so I'm wondering whether the gas has leaked out in the eight months its been in the showroom?

Best AC I've ever had was on my Rocky - it had a temp control which usually ended up about 2/3 setting once cab was cooled down.

I first thought the fast glass on the back was a gimmick, but great on hot days!
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:38 am

GLX single cab should be freezing with, I would assume, the same system as the double cabs but it's crap.
Good enough if you start off from the garage but get in at the supermarket car park and it needs about 10km to beat having the windows down instead. It never comes out really cold but I've had cars where you sometimes see vapour coming out at first, it's that cold.
Should be 2 - 3c at the outlets but feels more like 15c.
:(
Could check for uninsulated pipes and fix that?
sierra

Next

Return to Electrical