Oil Catch Can working

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Oil Catch Can working

Postby boostedbmw on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:05 pm

So i had some time to kill on Saturday after doing a rust proof on a customers Hilux and decided to drain my oil catch can that i installed a while back. Mind you i dont do that many K's in the triton so i was surprised to see how much oil was caught by the can. I wish i had recorded the k's on the speedo when i installed it now.
Click to view larger picture
It's easier to get forgivness than permission.
boostedbmw

Re: Oil Catch Can working

Postby ag9111 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:10 am

WOW
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm

thats definatly working mate so all that wet oil would have run into your manifold aye
mad992

Postby sim_r32 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:29 pm

how have you got it set up? is there a filter on it or just to the can?
sim_r32

Postby boostedbmw on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:58 pm

I have the DRIFT oil catch can from Autobarn fitted. BUT there is no baffles inside the stock unit so i stuffed it with new kitchen steel scourer pads. This catches the oil and allows it to settle to the base of the can. Then the cleaner air goes back into the factory position.
It's easier to get forgivness than permission.
boostedbmw

Postby sim_r32 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:33 pm

great mate im going to get my self one of those

thanks for the pics
sim_r32

Postby sierra on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:30 pm

No problems with heat by mounting the can next to the turbo?
I thought the can needed to be relatively cool for the oil to condense efficiently?
:?
sierra

Postby sim_r32 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:37 pm

i brought a catch can off ebay last week it came with some brackets it was for a 180sx but i ended up using them to make it fit inbetween the driver side head light and the overflow bottle i just used black hose so it doesnt stand out but came up pretty good and its well hidden ill att. a pic
the cars going into mitsi tommorrow to get the steering checked ive got that clunk through the wheel and im trying out my luck with getting the tail shaft changed under warrantee it is a little clunky but its going to get worse i bet in 2 weeks when it gets lifted and 33's :) but i doubt they'll come to the party if i take it back in there looking like that.... :roll:

ps i thought it was one of those cans that u can open but it wasnt so i just unscrewed the fittings and pushed rolled up bits of fly wire through there they should filter all the shit up ok i think

sim_r32

Postby bobtriton on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:49 am

Do you have pictures of a 2.5 diesel engine with one of this tanks?, I would like to do it, but just don`t know wich hoses to take
bobtriton

Postby sierra on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:47 pm

bobtriton wrote:Do you have pictures of a 2.5 diesel engine with one of this tanks?, I would like to do it, but just don`t know wich hoses to take

Here's mine but I'm thinking about changing it for the Provent can set up the same as Steane in the lower pics.
Our breather is in the same place and everything else is the same or similar.

Steane wrote:Pics as promised.

First pic is the Codan oil/fuel hoses (hose with the white writing) running from the PCV outlet (under the engine cover) around the back of the engine and down to the Provent. You can see the return line running back into the air inlet after the airflow meter.

Second pic shows the Provent with inlet hose running in at the top (hose from the PCV outlet) and return hose coming off the side (returns to the inlet pipe after the airflow meter). You can also see the clear air hose running down to the chassis from the drain on the bottom of the Provent. This has a tap attached that makes draining the oil a 2 second job.

The fuel/oil lines are very heavy duty and don't sag with heat.

Seems to work well, its collecting oil and returning oil free air back to the inlet.
sierra

Postby al1231234 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:10 am

Great!
Thanks for pictures Sierra, nice topic Boosterbmw, lot to learn from you guys!
So lets go back to work, have a nice day.
al1231234

Postby scubapro on Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:18 am

Does the 3.2 engine have positive or negative crankcase pressure? Does this make a difference to the type of Catch Cab you can install?
scubapro

Postby sierra on Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:54 pm

scubapro wrote:Does the 3.2 engine have positive or negative crankcase pressure? Does this make a difference to the type of Catch Cab you can install?

They all have positive crankcase pressure and it increases with age as the pistons, rings and bores wear.
That's a test for an old engine. Take the oil filler cap off to see if it speeds up and that answers another question because it must increase pumping losses. Hence the closed loop back to the intake is best as long as the catch can filter truly filters out all the oil. Gotta fly!!
sierra

Postby sierra on Sun May 09, 2010 4:07 pm

I've been testing a new filtered catch can for the last week.
It's early days and the oil is still being trapped by the filter before beginning to build up in the body but there's enough there to prove it's working and that the outlet is dry which is important because it's returning to the original intake hose just before the turbo compressor this time, not venting to atmosphere through a mini filter as it was before.

The old can was hopeless compared to this one which seems to be as effective as the Provent 20. It certainly breaths easily through the filter, so now the crankcase is getting a bit of suction again to vent it and reduce pumping losses but with clean dry air still going through the compressor.

First pic shows I've moved it over to behind the battery for better access

Same spot as the Provent guys used but I didn't have a bracket to fit it properly through the 2 mounting threads and clamped it on with a jubilee clip for now.

As you can see, plenty of oil after just a week but the central outlet is clean and dry.

Filter out of the can which has an 'o' ring top and bottom for a perfect seal.

This is the only one Justin at Chipit had but he can source more and at a 'much' better price than the Provent 20.
Got mine for free for testing it just as I was about to get a Provent 20 for $170 + postage so I'm wrapped and am happy to say it's a good solid unit that works perfectly. :D
Pleased with my new Panasonic Lumix FZ35 too. Harvey Norman $650, Hong Kong $331! :shock:
sierra

Postby CHIP IT on Tue May 11, 2010 4:20 am

yep ... great pics Ken
CHIP IT
Diesel Performance Solutions from SPV Industries (An authorised dealer)
-power when you need it-

Web: http://www.chipit.com.au

For forum discounts, please contact tony@spvindustries.com or PM Chipit
CHIP IT

Postby sierra on Tue May 11, 2010 9:21 am

Thanks Robert,
Do you know if Justin bought some and worked out a price in case anyone from here wants one?
sierra

Postby sim_r32 on Tue May 11, 2010 10:04 pm

im keen for one as well
sim_r32

Postby OTT070 on Wed May 12, 2010 10:39 am

i'm keen as well
OTT070

Postby DPS TRITON on Wed May 12, 2010 11:24 am

I will chase more up in the next few days, have to come from Europe so will be a week or two , to get more stock in :D

Glad its all working great Ken :D

Justin
justin@chipit.com.au
DPS TRITON

Postby liamb on Wed May 12, 2010 12:54 pm

I'm keen aswell

Bill
liamb

Postby sierra on Wed May 12, 2010 2:23 pm

Any chance of a price estimate Justin?
It would be good with a spare filter to make it easy to empty, clean and get straight back on while the first one is hanging out to dry. I'll look in this one again in about 6 months when I change the engine oil.
sierra

Postby sierra on Wed May 12, 2010 4:49 pm

Got a price estimate for the catch cans while discussing trying out the new 4 channel Chipit unit next week. :D
I know a bit about it so I'll post it under a different subject for those interested.

Price for the cans should be $100 less than the Provent 200 on Ebay[$175].
About $70.
sierra

Postby mad992 on Wed May 12, 2010 7:04 pm

sierra wrote:Got a price estimate for the catch cans while discussing trying out the new 4 channel Chipit unit next week. :D
I know a bit about it so I'll post it under a different subject for those interested.

About $70.

is that price for the whole unit sierra :?:
mad992

Postby sierra on Wed May 12, 2010 8:01 pm

mad992 wrote:
sierra wrote:Got a price estimate for the catch cans while discussing trying out the new 4 channel Chipit unit next week. :D

About $70.

is that price for the whole unit sierra :?:

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's right. It would be good to have the spare filter and it might be included at that price?

You still need to buy the hose, clamps, adapters[double bayonet from the same place as the hose]
Hose is about $7 - $10 per M.
10mm headed bolts fit the brass inserts on the top and the bracket I mounted it on next to the battery. A bit of galvanised sheet steel bent at about 100deg angle and drilled for the 4 bolts would be the way to mount it properly.

You would have to buy those parts for the Provent 200 too,
sierra

Postby gregned on Wed May 12, 2010 8:40 pm

Damn just bought a Provent what hoses do I need again and where can I get them from in Adelaide?
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Next

Return to Drive Train Components