Rear Diff Oil Level

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Rear Diff Oil Level

Postby WUNSIE on Sun May 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Hi all can anyone confirm the correct oil level for the rear diff on a MQ.
Penrites quick lube guide at Super cheap auto said 1.8 lt and if it had a LSD it would be 2.3 lt.
Using Mitsubishi standard with the allen key,it took an easy 3.2 litres, although when I drained it into a 4 litre white ice cream container ( so I could check for any metal in the oil )it almost filled it, even though it was down to Mitsubishi specs when I checked in through the filler plug.
Speaking of filler plugs has any one removed their drain plug only to be freaked out by the amount of black fuzz shit clinging to the magnet on the drain plug.
Hopefully I wont see that amount of gunk next fluid change, being its first diff fluid change (20,000km ).
One service dept I spoke to said top it up to bottom of filler hole,
Hope some one can clarify the situation re; level as I cant see work shops who are not familiar with this using a specific gauge to set oil level,
WUNSIE

Re: Rear Diff Oil Level

Postby RHKTriton on Wed May 23, 2018 8:08 am

Quantities are usually an indicator of what the diff, gearbox, etc will hold.

Every vehicle I've had over the last 40yrs has always been filled to the filling hole ( its position isn't there by accident).

Magnetic plugs will usually come out with a fuzzy sludge the first and possibly second time as the cogs wear into each other.

If you find chunky or sharp bits of recognisable metal, then I'd be concerned.

Note; I do recall that Mitsi set a lower diff oil level with the mn at some stage, however, on ours I fill it as usual without consequence.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby WUNSIE on Wed May 23, 2018 11:43 am

Thanks champ, yeah no chunks or anything sinister left in the bottom of the container just the usual black cloudy film from initial bedding in, Every vehicle I,ve owned has always been a fill to bottom of filler plug, If it was meant to be 30-38mm below the filler plug hole, WHY didn't they bloody position filler plug down when they manufactured the rear axle :roll:
WUNSIE

Postby RHKTriton on Wed May 23, 2018 9:04 pm

I figure there are seals to keep the juice in and dirt out.

Then there is a breather, so no pressure build up, regardless of the level.

The only thing I could see possibly being affected is foaming up the oil at a particular level, but you'd assume its engineered to prevent this. :lol:

That initial paste is a bit scary but probably contains micron sized debris from the gear surfaces bedding in and getting carried away by the oil.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to General Discussion