Auto to Manual Transmission Swap

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Auto to Manual Transmission Swap

Postby RobbieErskine056 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:30 pm

Hey everyone, I'm sure this question has been asked before but any research on the forums has led me to nothing.

I own a MY12 GLX-R Triton with Automatic Transmission, I'm trying to learn about swapping the transmission to a manual. It seems straightforward on older cars but as soon as computers are involved it gets more difficult it seems.

If anyone has had any experience with this on a similar year, any information is appreciated greatly.

Cheers
RobbieErskine056

Re: Auto to Manual Transmission Swap

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:52 am

Hello Robbie,

Whas the motivation to go manual?

Turbo diesel and auto are the perfect match.

What I would like is a path to either a six or more ratio auto. My current 5speed manual (ml)
is wanting for a higher final ratio on the highway.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:54 pm

RobbieErskine056 wrote:I own a MY12 GLX-R Triton with Automatic Transmission, I'm trying to learn about swapping the transmission to a manual

Welcome to the forum Robbie. The question has been asked a few times but usually the other way around, i.e. converting manual to auto.

I may be mistaken but I'm not aware of anyone who's done the auto to manual swap. At the very least it would require changing 3 computers - the engine ECU, gearbox ECU and the BCM, maybe more. Cost wise it would probably be prohibitive, or at least not economic. Changing vehicles would be a lot easier and probably much cheaper.

As RHK asks, the question is why would you want to do this?

RHKTriton wrote:What I would like is a path to either a six or more ratio auto. My current 5speed manual (ml)
is wanting for a higher final ratio on the highway.

Kinda hijacking Robbie's thread here, mate. It's an interesting idea and I'll give you my thoughts if you start a new thread.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Dave on Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:06 pm

I was thinking of swapping my manual for an auto at some stage, probably best I upgrade one day and get an auto but we'll see. :?:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:16 am

Go manual to auto and leave the clutch pedal - should freak out any would be car thief. :lol:

If I was going to go through the pain 'exercise', I'd seriously investigate possible use of the newer seven or eight speeders. Probably need a third party TCU and lots of dyno and testing time.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Drive Train Components