did MY15 MN tritons still have issues?

Anything Triton related

did MY15 MN tritons still have issues?

Postby snippi on Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:51 pm

Hi guys, just looking at a 2015 mn. Seems an ok deal with low kms but just wondering if the overheating issue was rectified by then? Did they still change the radiator cap to the higher pressure one at 30k service on these?
snippi

Re: did MY15 MN tritons still have issues?

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:32 am

Snippi, look here and read through. Engines are still being replaced, sometimes multiple times.

Personally I wouldn't touch an MN with a 40' barge pole. That's not to say that there aren't good ones - but how do you know?

Just buy the MQ and don't stress about the DPF. It's a whole generation ahead of the DPF on the NS Pajero and gives no real trouble. The rest of the car is vastly better than the MN, inlcuding the engine, which is a sweet little thing.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Maxiy on Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:19 am

yeah stay away from an MN, to much of a gamble. it is luck of the draw, you may get a rock solid one, or you may get a time bomb.
Maxiy

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:51 am

The mn would be OK, if you could get a new motor with it, blueprint it and then have it fitted by a real mechanic. :lol:

There's every chance you can pick up a good mn, however, until a list of VIN numbers are associated with faulty motors, its just a lottery.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snippi on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:35 am

I was reading up on the australian car reviews site under recalls it sais the mn had its overheating issues sorted out after march 18 2014..but i guess if they still had engine problems after that it wouldnt have been all to do with the uneven block surface.
The 3.2 ml on the other hand is apparently bullet proof once the egr is blanked off. I havent seen any ML threads here though what do you guys think?
Im trying to stay away from mq just because of all the pollution stuff they have it would just be a headache i think. I live on remote wa and most of my trips are very short so i can see dpf acting up sooner rather then later. If i got it all mapped out then id void the warranty so thats why im looking at older models
snippi

Postby Maxiy on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:27 am

the recall in regards to the overheating issue was just a band aid fix. They simply changed the coolant, put a higher pressure radiator cap on, and made some changes to the ECU map. the underlying block issue still exists, but seems to be a 'Friday afternoon special' type scenario, I.E some MNs are fine, some are not.

I have a 2014 MN (bought sept 2014) with 110k on the clock. had the overheating recall work carried out as soon as i was notified, never experienced any issues with overheating, car has never got above 95 degrees.

My brother has a 2015 MN (bought March 2015) with just under 90k on it. It had the over heating recall work carried out on it as soon as the recall was issued. He started experiencing over heating issues just after 70k, and within 20k the problem got so bad it was unusable, he is currently getting the engine replaced.

From my limited knowledge, i understand the 3.2s are bullet proof, and have had nowhere near as many issues.

I love my triton, and it has not given me any trouble in regards to over heating. But i wish i had got a ML, just for peace of mind.
Maxiy

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:35 am

Maxiy wrote:the recall in regards to the overheating issue was just a band aid fix.

Not really. The idea was to induce additional pressure in the system which, if there was a weakness in the engine that didn't manifest itself during the tests done in the dealership, would after a period of time. For those engines that had no problem the additional pressure wouldn't harm them.

snippi wrote:I was reading up on the australian car reviews site under recalls it sais the mn had its overheating issues sorted out after march 18 2014.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Surely reading the thread that I linked earlier would clearly show that this is not true and that some people are still experiencing problems. Real world experiences by actual owners, not the opinion of some journo who has little real knowledge of the vehicle, let alone in depth knowledge of the issue.

snippi wrote:Im trying to stay away from mq just because of all the pollution stuff they have it would just be a headache i think.

Again, don't believe everything you read on the internet. Look through the MQ section here and note that problems with this engine, and particularly the DPF, are almost non-existent.

snippi wrote:The 3.2 ml on the other hand is apparently bullet proof once the egr is blanked off

Correct. Which is why I drive a 4M41 Pajero. However, if I was to go back to a ute (which is a possibility) then I'd have no hesitation including the MQ on my list.

snippi wrote: I havent seen any ML threads here though

Maybe you missed this one.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Maxiy on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:44 am

Not really. The idea was to induce additional pressure in the system which, if there was a weakness in the engine that didn't manifest itself during the tests done in the dealership, would after a period of time. For those engines that had no problem the additional pressure wouldn't harm them.

Interesting, i had always thought the cap release pressure was increased, in order to reduce the risk of the coolant being purged out of the system via the overflow, ie if the system was being pressurised via a head leak, coolant would stay in the radiator longer :oops: . Thanks for correcting me NFTF :D
Maxiy

Postby bigjobs on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:47 pm

Bit too soon to tell if the MQ will have any engine troubles, considering the MN block issue didn't become evident until that model was at least 5 years old.

It's Mitsubishi QA that's the real worry, I reckon.

My MN passed the cooling system test and then shit itself 300km from home in the bush.
bigjobs

Postby Merts on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:53 pm

bigjobs wrote:Bit too soon to tell if the MQ will have any engine troubles, considering the MN block issue didn't become evident until that model was at least 5 years old.

It's Mitsubishi QA that's the real worry, I reckon.

My MN passed the cooling system test and then shit itself 300km from home in the bush.

Whilst there have been issues with the MN, it's a fallacy to claim that Mitsubishi have any more quality issues than any other manufacturer.

There are heaps of old Pajeros, Tritons and Magnas with lots of kms on them still performing well.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bigjobs on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:06 pm

Merts wrote:Whilst there have been issues with the MN, it's a fallacy to claim that Mitsubishi have any more quality issues than any other manufacturer.

Sure and I never said anything of the sort.

I've owned 5 Mitsubishi vehicles and I got unlucky with the MN.
In my case, the issue was fixed under warranty with no dramas and the replacement motor is running well so far.

None of that changes the fact that I'm suss on Mitsubishi QA now and probably wouldn't touch another one because of my experience.
bigjobs

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:12 pm

If you could find a ml that's only driven to church on a Sunday and lived away from the coast you'd have a good unit.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Merts on Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:06 am

bigjobs wrote:
Merts wrote:Whilst there have been issues with the MN, it's a fallacy to claim that Mitsubishi have any more quality issues than any other manufacturer.

Sure and I never said anything of the sort.

I've owned 5 Mitsubishi vehicles and I got unlucky with the MN.
In my case, the issue was fixed under warranty with no dramas and the replacement motor is running well so far.

None of that changes the fact that I'm suss on Mitsubishi QA now and probably wouldn't touch another one because of my experience.

Lol. It's exactly what you implied, and you've finished your reply by saying you're suss about Mitsubishi QA and won't touch another one. :D
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:53 am

bigjobs wrote:considering the MN block issue didn't become evident until that model was at least 5 years old.

It was much earlier than that. They started to appear by 2010 but nobody, including MMAL, knew what the cause was. Engines were being replaced and a number of well known diagnosticians were engaged to identify the cause. That took some time as each had to look at a number of failed engines to find the common problems. Then MMAL had to trace back to the factory and develop a programme to address the issue, which included testing of various methods to identify before actual failure. The cooling service campaign was the result of this and commenced much later.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby bigjobs on Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Ok Merts, thanks for helping explain to everybody what I was REALLY trying to say :roll:

I've now put more Km's on the replacement motor than the original had, so I assume it's fine.
I still make sure to monitor the temps though and bought an Ultragauge to do so - it pretty much runs at a pretty stable 85°c max.

If I were the OP and I was still looking to buy an MN, knowing what I know, then I'd actually be looking for one that has had the motor replaced.

Interpret the above for everbody will you please Merts?
bigjobs

Postby Merts on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:49 pm

bigjobs wrote:Ok Merts, thanks for helping explain to everybody what I was REALLY trying to say :roll:

Lol. I have no clue what you were trying to say, but anyone can read what you DID say.....

Perhaps you'd like to explain what the point of your comments was if it wasn't to suggest that people (yourself included) would be better off buying another brand because Mitsubishi's QA is no good?
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bigjobs on Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:20 pm

Haha buddy, any intelligent person will read my original post and understand that you clearly got the wrong end of the stick.

My post stated my opinion and experience of the issue.

Apart from arguing with me based on shit you've made up, have you got anything relevant to add to the topic?

Perhaps post your opinion and experience with an MN and make yourself useful.
bigjobs

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:46 pm

Knock it off, you two. :evil:
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Merts on Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:50 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Knock it off, you two. :evil:

I'd just like him to explain what his comment was supposed to mean Chris, because to be honest, I'm confused....
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Merts on Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:53 pm

Re the MN, we have one as a works vehicle, and I have a few mates who have them. Nobody has had any issues, apart from one of them getting crap buildup in the inlet manifold.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aids84 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:53 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Not really. The idea was to induce additional pressure in the system which, if there was a weakness in the engine that didn't manifest itself during the tests done in the dealership, would after a period of time. For those engines that had no problem the additional pressure wouldn't harm them.

Not quite true. There has never been an issue with coolant escaping the coolant galleries, the problem is caused by combustion gas making its way between the head gasket and deck of the block and into the small coolant galleries between cylinders. This eventually builds up pressure in the coolant and it blows past the radiator cap.

The reason Mitsubishi changed the pressure of the cap was to try and reduce localised boiling (by raising the boiling point) of the coolant in these small galleries between cylinders. The boiling of the coolant was supposedly happening when being driven under heavy load and was thought to be the cause of the head gasket problems in those areas.

It hasn't worked, I'm still swapping engines on a regular basis since the recall was released. Had numerous repeat failures of factory assembled long engines, some have lasted less than a year before coming back with the same issues. Lots of engines seem to fail after having cooling system work done, leading me to believe that bleeding the cooling system properly is very important on these engines. A small hole drilled in the thermostat helps with this greatly, stupid design in my opinion not to have one from factory.

I really think Mitsubishi need to look at the design of the head gasket and come up with a design that will provide a more robust seal on the deck surface, it's going to be the cheapest way out of the problem for them. Otherwise they will just have to keep providing engine replacements for the lifetime of these vehicles.

If this problem does occur on my vehicle i'll be pulling the head and o-ringing the deck to provide a better seal. Would take me less then a weekend and would solve the problem forever. Hopefully will never have to, got 140,000 trouble free kms on my MN now, should have at least 4 or 5 times that before any major work needs doing.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snippi on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:39 pm

Im suss about mitsubishi quality issues as well, i lost quite a bit of money selling my 14 glxr because of a coolant leak i developped just after 30k service thats when i found out i could be driving a time bomb..i swore id never buy another mitsi and replaced it with a new dmax so for a while had both utes sitting in my driveway.. the dmax never got driven though because it was a slug in comparison. Even though the 2 utes have very similar hp and torque the triton was a sports car in comparison. The mq tritons dont have to bad reviews asides from some rattles but i believe the dpf will be a problem in the future its just a device that adds complexity and eventually clogs up. Not to mention the possibility of diesel going past the rings during a regeneration and diluting the oil. No thanks.
I would agree with not believing everything you read online but that goes for all of the internet. I guarantee there are all kinds of salesman on this site just as much as on facebook groups telling people about doing crazy mileage in their ute while never even changing the oil or some of the catch can gang watch out for them lol
snippi

Postby gartam on Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:39 am

Engine swap the 4n15 into an mn. Then remove the dpf.
gartam

Postby bigjobs on Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:38 am

Brand bashing accusations aside, I've got no agenda, just offering my opinion.

Perfectly reasonable to be skeptical of Mitsubishi, especially if you've experienced the issue.

I had a bit of a sook at the time and then just got on with it... the alternative is what, Toyota, Ford etc. No thanks.

I'm still quite interested in this subject and it's nice to get useful input on it, since I don't plan to sell up anytime soon.

Overall It's a bit of a let down, a bit like this thread now, to be honest...
bigjobs

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:20 pm

gartam wrote:Engine swap the 4n15 into an mn. Then remove the dpf.

I wonder if I could convince Mitsubishi to drop in one of these instead of another hit and miss 4D56 "time bomb"?
Why keep punishing themselves and owners by repeating the same mistake over and over again?
It'd be interesting to see if it was easy to swap the engines over, though not sure how the 2.4 goes.
Actually, after reading reviews, I'd rather get a fully reconditioned 3.2 from an ML........
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Next

Return to General Discussion