MQ Triton P2138 Error Code - Power loss Help

MQ Triton P2138 Error Code - Power loss Help

Postby MarkoMN on Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:35 pm

Hey guys,

i have been searching the forum and it looks like this is an uncommon fault for an MQ Triton,(2016)

Every now and again i feel a little loss of power a bit like the brakes have been applied while accelerating (power drop)
and when i drive at lower speeds it seems to flick me into a limp mode and seems to hold at 1500RPM, all the 4WD lights start flashing.
I then pull over turn the car off and leave for a second or 2 turn back on and she drives like normal.

The Engine light stays on and the Scangauge tells me P2138. if I don't clear the code it clears itself after a day or so...weird.

There are a few things on the car which I’m about to take off to see if it makes a difference. (I have already had Southside mitsi have a look at it and they blamed the Throttle controller (kings Branded) and it not being installed correctly) (they refitted it apparently properly) I did not know I had one on the car when I bought it...
I also have an EGR delete cable (also did not know I had this on the car when I bought it)
I’m going to remove both of these to see if it makes any difference but can anyone out there shed any light on anything else it may be?
I love the car but need it to be reliable for the bush…

Thanks, in advance
Marko
Own a MQ 2016 GLS
Owned an MN - Sold
MarkoMN

Re: MQ Triton P2138 Error Code - Power loss Help

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:44 pm

This fault refers to the throttle pedal sensor. If you have a throttle controller fitted, i would be most certainly be removing that first then trying it.

As for an EGR delete cable, they are a waste of time on an MQ, as these do not suffer with the same problems that the ML Triton suffered with. A catch can would be a good idea thoough.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby MarkoMN on Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:51 pm

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:This fault refers to the throttle pedal sensor. If you have a throttle controller fitted, i would be most certainly be removing that first then trying it.

As for an EGR delete cable, they are a waste of time on an MQ, as these do not suffer with the same problems that the ML Triton suffered with. A catch can would be a good idea thoough.

Yeah I have removed it now and will see if it happens again, fingers crossed,

I have an oil separator (or catch can) with the filter in it, but the car came with the EGR cable, will it hurt having it on or just leave it ? I thought all diesels now being it from an EGR delete, no?
Own a MQ 2016 GLS
Owned an MN - Sold
MarkoMN

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:09 am

Leaving the EGR delete cable on will not hurt anything. The car will be technically illegal to use and if you got stopped by Police you coud get fined by EPA, as the vehicle needs the EGR to work cleanly. The EGR also does play a part in boost control, so that part of the system will not work. you may also occasionaly have the vehicle stutter when turning off, as the ECU can fully open the valve to self test it, and stop the engine.

I have seen many of these with very high KM with little carbon build up, so the induction system is much improved over the Pajero/ML triton era vehicles that did benefit from EGR defeat devices.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby MarkoMN on Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:44 am

That's interesting to know, Thanks Dibby

I had no idea that the EGRs had become so much better, I might take it off then and see how it goes, and Yes I have noticed the stutter when turning off, i thought it was normal, lol i'll see when i take it off if that makes any difference

SO far so good with the THrottle controller off,

The real test will be on my way home today from work, fingers crossed
Own a MQ 2016 GLS
Owned an MN - Sold
MarkoMN

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:09 pm

Please let us know if it does or doesnt come back.

Always good to get feedback
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby MarkoMN on Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:42 pm

Hey guys,

So 2 days now of too and from home and have not had the car go into limp mode yet.

I feel like its fixed however, i know that it stopped going into limp mode over 3 months ago and drove fine for those 3 months, not an issue.

So i will keep an eye on it and hope that it doesent happen again. If you don't here back from me it will be safe to say that all worked well.

I'll touch base again in a week or so just in case

Thanks again for the Help Dibby
Own a MQ 2016 GLS
Owned an MN - Sold
MarkoMN

Return to Electrical